E89 Z4 23i Auto

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
I did ask Dave a while ago Baz,but he's more into the desk top variety.
Sorry Steve really late to this party:whistle:. It looks like you have plenty of info to go on, our laptop is pretty old now but it's a Lenovo with an i3 processor. Works fine for the sort of stuff you'll be doing. I think you'll get a pretty good one for £500.:thumbsup:

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I've only just seen this Steve, not yet had a chance to read through all of what's been said as there seems to be an awful lot.

However, here are my thoughts on the topic:

Definitely go for a laptop that has an SSD (solid state drive) fitted - SSD's are more expensive in comparison to their equivalent mechanical HDD, however, the faster load times will make it worthwhile spending the extra cash. You can also choose to go for an SSHD, which is a hybrid of both an SSD and a HDD, it compromises a bit on performance as it isn't as quick as an SSD, however, it's faster than a normal hard drive and offers you more space for less money (which is an SSD cannot do).

Processors - if you want the laptop to be future proof, personally I would go for a mid range i5, whilst you might not be harvesting all that processor power right now, as the laptop ages and technology develops you still want the laptop to be able to cope with newer applications.

RAM shouldn't matter too much, but definitely get a laptop with at least 6GB (which most these days will have anyway).

In terms of brand, I've had 3 HP laptops, 3 Toshiba's and currently on a Dell. What I found interesting is that 2 of my Toshiba laptops had a Samsung hard drive in them and one of the HP laptop had a Toshiba hard drive in it. =)) Point is that despite what it says on the casing, it is more than likely that not all components are made by that one manufacturer.

Toshiba would win in reliability (this is only from my experience). All 3 of the HP laptops had issues with overheating and ultimately caused the motherboard to fail a couple of years after purchase. I don't know what HP are like at the moment as I've not used their laptops for three years now but they did have a reputation of overheating a few years ago.

Having said all of that one of my Toshiba laptops did catch on fire :whistle:

It may be a bit more expensive buying in store than it would be online, however, the after sales support that you get if something were to go wrong is loads better if you were to buy it from a store rather than online -- you can walk in with the laptop and they'll deal with sending it off to the manufacturer etc. Yes, you might save a few quid buying online but should something

Hope that this helps, I'm sure most of this has been said already in previous posts.

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
Thanks @Faheem, great info and very clear.
Had lots of very good and very welcome advice from the crew,more than I expected tbh :).
All this help will influence what we decide to go for,as we haven't bought a new lap top for many years and so we are out of touch with it all.
Your advice about going for an i5 makes sense so it can keep up in a few years,by which time things will have moved on so much.