New daily driver dilema!

simonbud100

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Time has come to change my little run around, a 56 plate VW Polo Tdi purchased new in 2007. Its such a good little car that I'm hard pushed to find a worthy replacement.

Had a good look around Cardiff yesterday, looked at everything from new Polos to Skodas, Seats, 1 series BMW and lots more. Seriously tempted to go for a 12 month old Seat Ibiza 2.0FR, good economy and good performance. As Seat is VW owned, it seems like a good alternative to the (still very expensive) new shape Polo.

Any one have any experience of Seat?

Regards

Simon

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
There pritty much the same as the polos.. Same running gear and engines etc..

We have a polo tdi sport.. Superb little car..

Keep the polo ;)

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
I hope they have changed from having coils on each cylinder as my lad had a 2004 and it used to go through coils like nobodies buiseness, he was glad he changed it for the Beema.
Bill

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
I recently drove a fiat that was a sustitute car from work while my usual one is off
the road for repairs, i didnt think much of it to be honest but is there a difference
between fiat and seat? Now VW Polo is a different matter, i have driven a few of them
and my feelings are they are class!! So for my opinion..........POLO. :coolsteer)

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Can I ask you your thought process for changing the Polo.... the reason I ask is I have an 03 1.6 Golf (had it from 12 months old) and it's a superb car with 77k on the clock.

We've started having conversations about changing it - possibly going for a 4 x 4 (other half's idea) - but I keep asking myself why are we changing this all but 5k of the miles have been driven by me and I've looked after it, so I'm curious why you're thinking of changing.

simonbud100

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
We tend to keep cars about 3 years then trade them in to keep them in warranty, the Polo was originally my wife's car and when it came to change I decided to keep it and we bought a new Golf Tdi for her.

The Polo has now done 102k miles but is running as well as the day we drove it out of the showroom. In the last 2 years it has been to Italy, South of France, Loire Valley and Germany. Both of us prefer it to her 59 plate Golf, which feels far heavier in comparison.

Our reason for tending to stick to VW's in the past is that Rachel's father was a VW engineer until he retired last year, so we always did well with staff discounts on buying and servicing etc, plus he would always do an interim service between main dealer visits.

If I was sensible I would keep the Polo for another couple of years because it's not going to drop that much more in value and I know that it's 100%. That said, I spent most of yesterday looking at newer cars with a third of the mileage, and most of them did not come close to what I have already got. It never fails to amaze me how many badly turned out cars dealers are prepared to put on their forecourts.

Guess I will keep looking and wait for the right car to come up, I'm not in any hurry.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I wasn't sure when we bought the Golf, I had had Fords before - xr2 then then fiesta s and for the 1st couple of years it was just a runabout and I didn't appreciate it. Having now looked after it and driven it for 8 years and it has honestly never given me a days trouble I'm wondering if we're just changing for changings sake. After all, isn't the whole point of the car that you've got something solid and reliable.

Have you any thoughts on the V W Tiguan?? I've not seen one in the flesh yet - just on the web site.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
The polo will keep on going for years to come..
We had a tdi golf before that and it was on 160k!! And it still just kept going..
We love vw's :x

Ours is a 52 plate now on 89k and its solid as a rock..
Touch wood had no major faults and I don't think we will be changing it anytime soon.

If you want abit more power I would recommend getting it remapped..

Ours was a 100bhp tdi sport to start with now it's 140bhp 240lbs torque
And returns 60+ mpg :coolsteer)

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Had a couple of Seat's before I caught the zed bug and quite honestly loved them, both were Tdi's one being a 130PD and the other the newer 2.0PD engine both remapped to 170-180 and 300lbft+ torque. Only reason I swapped was because I usually get a two year itch to change which I hope doesn't happen with the ///M. ;)

simonbud100

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Just a quick snap of the Polo, still looking good on 102k miles, it's amazing how much a regular wash and wax will help keep the paintwork nice and bright!

The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to keep her for another couple of years, especially as I am still undecided about changing the Z3 for a Z4!

Gio

Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Sport
I had a Seat Telado Tdi, was a great car to drive, but would never have another Seat after the way I was treated when I tried to make a warranty claim (for faulty air-bag), and their refusal to do pay anything to put right the water ingress problem I had from the doors into the foot wells, which is well documented as faulty design.
They wanted to charge me £250.00 per door to correct. X(

Mouldy

Model of Z
None at present
simonbud100 said:
Time has come to change my little run around, a 56 plate VW Polo Tdi purchased new in 2007. Its such a good little car that I'm hard pushed to find a worthy replacement.

Had a good look around Cardiff yesterday, looked at everything from new Polos to Skodas, Seats, 1 series BMW and lots more. Seriously tempted to go for a 12 month old Seat Ibiza 2.0FR, good economy and good performance. As Seat is VW owned, it seems like a good alternative to the (still very expensive) new shape Polo.

Regards

Simon
As you can see from my signature pic, I have a Skoda Octavia vRS TDi, which I rate very highly indeed. Whilst the petrol version is quicker to 60 in the traffic light grand prix, the available torque makes it very capable of embarrassing drivers of much bigger engined cars (Zeds included). Quoted figures are 170 bhp and 258 lb ft torque. On top of that, as long as I am reasonably careful with the right foot, I can get close to 50mpg. I am led to believe that the newer common rail engines are even more economical, too.

Am I worried about what the neighbours say about my Skoda? Certainly not! As a friend of mine said (who has owned several quality German cars in the past including BMW, a Porsche 911 and who currently driver a Scirocco R) it's a thinking man's GTi.

B

badman gee

I have a rover 75 with 15000 miles on it.

8 years old immaculate.

cheap comfortable motoring.

:D

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Simon that is still a fresh looking car in what looks like great condition so I think you are quite right to reconsider chopping it in for something else although I do sympathise with the feeling of wanting to change as when I usually get that bug I find it very hard to shake it off. ;)

simonbud100

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Mouldy said:
simonbud100 said:

Regards

Simon
As you can see from my signature pic, I have a Skoda Octavia vRS TDi, which I rate very highly indeed. Whilst the petrol version is quicker to 60 in the traffic light grand prix, the available torque makes it very capable of embarrassing drivers of much bigger engined cars (Zeds included). Quoted figures are 170 bhp and 258 lb ft torque. On top of that, as long as I am reasonably careful with the right foot, I can get close to 50mpg. I am led to believe that the newer common rail engines are even more economical, too.

Am I worried about what the neighbours say about my Skoda? Certainly not! As a friend of mine said (who has owned several quality German cars in the past including BMW, a Porsche 911 and who currently driver a Scirocco R) it's a thinking man's GTi.
I really want to stay with a small / economical car thats fairly new and within warranty otherwise there does not seem to be any point in changing the Polo.

I like the Skoda product very much, a colleague has the last of the old shape Fabia VRS diesel which has been remapped up to about 170bhp. Trouble is that I just can't get excited about the looks of the new Fabia and Octavia is bigger than I need.

Think I will put it on the back burner for the time being but the trouble is that I have the itch to change :-??

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew

They look great.. i would go for it ;)

('_')Z3

Zorg Addict
Supporter
I've got a seat Leon fr as my other daily driver, bought it second hand from Liverpool seat. This car had wanted for nothing and I have to say after 12months of ownership not a chance would I buy another seat :(
It's had numerous problems, within two weeks of picking it up total bill so far £5k, all new injectors, traction control valve etc. goes like stink 170bhp and 48 mpg but still got the dpf to worry about (another £1500 when that chooses to pack up). Had a tdi passat before, loved it, stick with vw.
P.s neighbour got a Ibiza fr and she thinks it c**p too had loads of problems