New Brake discs required

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
That is VERY cheap for a set of drilled and grooved discs and the fact that there is no brand name is a bit worrying. To be honest, I would go for standard discs in this sort of price range.

Zed Carer

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
They do look very cheap - possibly (probably?) from Malaysia? I did quite a bit of research when I changed mine 3 years ago and finally found some Mintex grooved discs and slightly harder pads from Germany - IIRC they were around £200 for all 4 discs and the pads.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
I bought some drilled and grooved discs off ebay at £89 for the fronts, they came from Birmingham too. Although a different seller. i have just had to replace them as they had worn away in only 8000 miles. I have now fitted brembo discs not cheap but i am hoping they will last longer than a year.
bill

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
billz said:
I bought some drilled and grooved discs off ebay at £89 for the fronts, they came from Birmingham too. Although a different seller. i have just had to replace them as they had worn away in only 8000 miles. I have now fitted brembo discs not cheap but i am hoping they will last longer than a year.
bill
lets be honest tho bill you do give them some stick...most people would have them for years if they just used them for "normal" road use ;)

r37

Dedicated Member
when it comes to brakes i wouldnt scrimp. You can get a good set of drilled + slotted disks for under £200 a pair. Drilled disks are known to crack which could be entertaining if you dont keep an eye on them and the benefits arnt massive over slotted disks alone. EBC and Black diamond disks are very well liked amongst car entusiasts as are EBC or mintex pads. I looked at upgrading my front brakes and IIRC a set of BD slotted disks and EBC redstuff v2 pads was a score over £200. Mintex pads are aparantly better but are allmost double the price of EBC reds.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
swamper said:
billz said:
bill
lets be honest tho bill you do give them some stick...most people would have them for years if they just used them for "normal" road use ;)
They may get a little stick on the cruises :D but thats only around 6 runs a year, But you still wouldnt expect the grooves to wear flat in a year. :D
bill

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
r37 said:
Drilled disks are known to crack which could be entertaining if you dont keep an eye on them .
I have heard this too, especialy with cheap discs. :-q

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Just go for a set of standard oem disks mike..

Brand like mintex or brembo as said.

Better not to go for cheap when it come to brakes..

:coolsteer)

Cheap disks tend to worp..

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Thanks Guys, I'll keep looking and keep you informed. 8-x

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
If you're not heading on to the track I'd go for the OEM option. You should be able to get a reasonable price with the discounts from the dealer to make them reasonable.

yocky z3 2.0

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.0 roadster
Hi mike i have mintex discs & pads all round been on a few cruies given them some stick and they have been great not that expensive ether on ebay cheers tony.

ginettaman

Fitting these tomorrow from carparts 4 less

Pagid Brake Disc (Front) Part No.: 104110028 £23.40 each

Blurb on carparts 4 less site:

Pagid has a strong history and earned its reputation with vehicle manufacturers like VW Group, DaimlerChrysler, Opel/Saab and Porsche.
Through the years a philosophy of quality and performance has ensured Pagid has evolved into the choice of vehicle manufacturers globally.
Pagid's reputation for high performance friction is substantiated by O.E. approvals with:

Audi S4, S6, RS 6, TT, Q7
Mercedes C-Class, SLR
Opel Vectra OPC
Lamborghini Murcielago
Aston Martin Vanquish
VW Phaeton, Touareg
Porsche 997 GT3 RS, Cayenne

B

badman gee

most of you olduns drive round like miss daisy, so stick to oem :p

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
badman gee said:
Oye you, :-o we wear out our discs out, holding back whilst waiting for you to change into second gear, to make sure you catch up and don't get lost on our cruises. :ymdevil:

B

badman gee

EnthuZiaZT said:
badman gee said:
Oye you, :-o we wear out our discs out, holding back whilst waiting for you to change into second gear, to make sure you catch up and don't get lost on our cruises. :ymdevil:
:D ;)

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
spurs fan in a coupe said:
A bit too late I know but these are available.

OEM BMW £45 a pair delivered.

Does anyone know if 1.9 right through to 3.0 really have the same rear discs?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-DISC-B ... _696wt_954
Thanks for the info, 'SFIAC', it's not too late, as I still haven't found any yet, unfortunately though, just the wrong end of the car, I'm after front discs. but welcome any suggestions Guys. :-bd

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
ginettaman said:
Fitting these tomorrow from carparts 4 less

Pagid Brake Disc (Front) Part No.: 104110028 £23.40 each

Blurb on carparts 4 less site:

Pagid has a strong history and earned its reputation with vehicle manufacturers like VW Group, DaimlerChrysler, Opel/Saab and Porsche.
Through the years a philosophy of quality and performance has ensured Pagid has evolved into the choice of vehicle manufacturers globally.
Pagid's reputation for high performance friction is substantiated by O.E. approvals with:

Audi S4, S6, RS 6, TT, Q7
Mercedes C-Class, SLR
Opel Vectra OPC
Lamborghini Murcielago
Aston Martin Vanquish
VW Phaeton, Touareg
Porsche 997 GT3 RS, Cayenne
I would pay some attention to this recommendation from ginettaman, Pagid brake components are superb for the money :-bd