Neglected Z3

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
I have owned my Z3 for two and a half years now, and have neglected her, so this summer I am planning the following maintenance and subtle mods:

Replace the rear window (got one on order)

Refurbish the ragtop inside and out (some grey patches on inside)

Sort the driver’s window out (window stops and you repeatedly have to press the button to operate)

Electric mirror adjustment has stopped working

De-Tango

Wheel Refurbish (D.I.Y.)

Sort the paintwork out (small rust bubbles on rear arch & paint chips)

Clean and Clay the car

Machine Polish

Engine Bay Clean

Calliper paint

Chrome hoops

Possible new sporty cat back exhaust (or sporty back box)

Any advice on the best way to complete any of the above would be much appreciated

Thanks in Advance Jim

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Now why would I want to waste my money on a Z4;) I am not an Old Man quite yet=)) Perhaps in another 10 or so years......

Anything going on this weekend Maurice? Lena's working Nights all weekend. Might go for a run by my lonesome.....

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Been busy with the Zed, Done so far:

Roof Refurbished, used Renovo to re colour, good bit of kit Looks good now waiting for the weather to improve to get it proofed.
Fitted some Chrome Gills been a bit hesitant about fitting, but I think they look good.
Third Brake Light modded
Engine Bay cleaned
Cleaned air filter.
New Plugs fitted
New rear window has arrived, but waiting for weather to improve (and a little courage) to get fitted.

Going to get the wheels off tomorrow and start to refurbish them hoping to get then rubbed down and the etching primer on them by midday Sunday. ( The zed will be on stands for a week as we are of to Somerset on Sunday Afternoon in the Civic:( for five or six days )

Oil Change being done when we Return.

The engine sounds a bit tappy when it is warm, quite as a mouse when I first start it up, do you think this could be the oil breaking down? or does it need the tappets looking at?

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Been busy with the Zed, Done so far:

Roof Refurbished, used Renovo to re colour, good bit of kit Looks good now waiting for the weather to improve to get it proofed.
Fitted some Chrome Gills been a bit hesitant about fitting, but I think they look good.
Third Brake Light modded
Engine Bay cleaned
Cleaned air filter.
New Plugs fitted
New rear window has arrived, but waiting for weather to improve (and a little courage) to get fitted.

Going to get the wheels off tomorrow and start to refurbish them hoping to get then rubbed down and the etching primer on them by midday Sunday. ( The zed will be on stands for a week as we are of to Somerset on Sunday Afternoon in the Civic:( for five or six days )

Oil Change being done when we Return.

The engine sounds a bit tappy when it is warm, quite as a mouse when I first start it up, do you think this could be the oil breaking down? or does it need the tappets looking at?
Be careful replacing that rear screen, TaffZee. Badman Gee slipped up there, took it out, but could not get the zip on the new one lined up correctly! Ended up having a new roof instead!
You need to mark across the first two teeth in the zip and the matching two teeth on the hood before you remove it, then transfer the screen zip marks on to the new zip, so that you get it lined up right! Much easier said than done! Good luck! Waiting to hear how you got on.:)
M & S

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Be careful replacing that rear screen, TaffZee. Badman Gee slipped up there, took it out, but could not get the zip on the new one lined up correctly! Ended up having a new roof instead!
You need to mark across the first two teeth in the zip and the matching two teeth on the hood before you remove it, then transfer the screen zip marks on to the new zip, so that you get it lined up right! Much easier said than done! Good luck! Waiting to hear how you got on.:)
M & S

Been putting it off for a weeko_O but will get around to it one day;)

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Probably take you a couple of weeks and a great deal of patience to get it right:nailbiting:

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
OK had a stab at fitting the rear window, OMG what a pain, easy to fit but getting it right is a nightmare, I have given up for today and the window needs to come out again:( as I am out about 2 teeth which has left a ripple running down the window.. will have to do for now until I get time to do it proper (Its stopping the rain)

100% correct EnthuZiaZT with your comment above But I will get it right;)

Just had two new tyres on the front, and a new battery:(

Got the old girl booked in tomorrow for a custom Cat Back Exhaust from these people http://www.longlife.co.uk/stainless-steel-exhausts/ Don't ask how much lets just say an arm and a leg...

B

badman gee

OK had a stab at fitting the rear window, OMG what a pain, easy to fit but getting it right is a nightmare, I have given up for today and the window needs to come out again:( as I am out about 2 teeth which has left a ripple running down the window.. will have to do for now until I get time to do it proper (Its stopping the rain)

100% correct EnthuZiaZT with your comment above But I will get it right;)

Just had two new tyres on the front, and a new battery:(

Got the old girl booked in tomorrow for a custom Cat Back Exhaust from these people http://www.longlife.co.uk/stainless-steel-exhausts/ Don't ask how much lets just say an arm and a leg...
You won't get it perfect unless you take the hood off.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Think i will just get a new roof or not bother

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Exhaust being done, Picked my tailpipe, the cars in Chester, I am waiting like an expectant father for a phone call now to say its all done..:inpain:

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Back from the exhaust garage.. OOoohhhh I like the sound, not to loud but sounds like it should do deep and full of bass:)

not just cat back he has done the full exhaust. going back next month to get a stainless high flow cat fitted...

And I love the tailpipe, the gap is full now:

Just been washed for tomorrow thats another tale:mad:
P6290393.JPG
P6290394.JPG
P6290395.JPG
P6290396.JPG
P6290397.JPG