My experience with my 1.9 and my 3.0

lightning

Zorg Legend
The 3.0 M Sport handles a fair bit better than the regular 3.0.
I also had a 2.8 and it felt more of a GT than a sports car.
the 3.0 M Sport is a lot tighter, at the expense of a firmer (though still compliant) ride quality. The handbook says it has "lowered uprated suspension"

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
Went out for my first 'speed run' I guess you would call it in the 3.0! Started pushing it a bit harder, getting more acclimatized to the handling. I still think my first post is bang on, however I've found that if I dial it back a notch compared to the 1.9 when entering the bend it makes for a much more enjoyable experience. Had a much better time with my driving buddies and didn't feel like I was having to push the car so hard to keep up with the flow.

I think it would likely benefit from a more sporty stance, I'm not a fan of aftermarket upgrades in general as in the past I've had an overall bad experience with them. Does anyone know what the difference in ride height it from the Sport and standard Roadster? I've read conflicting posts about whether or not there is a difference, my car is pre the existence of a sport model I understand.

Also traction control / DSC, etc. Didn't have it on my 1.9. WTF is up with this system?! Not sure if mine is not operating 100% on my 3.0 but it was cutting in all the time when it did not need to be. Gave up and turned it off in the end and it drove absolutely fine. Every spirited attempt to round a bend resulted in the dashboard flashing at me like a Christmas tree. Had plenty of rear wheel drive cars in the past but this car and my e46 328Ci are the only ones that had traction control. The e46 I never remember it being an issue but this system is far too restrictive.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
The DSC can be very active at this time of year. On my e46 330i it would cut in to try and control understeer.
I believe 1 press of the button will turn of the dynamic part (so braking of individual wheels to control understeer/lose of directional stability) but still keep traction control (so not spinning up the rears under power) on.
5sec press and it's fully off. Just double check your manual but I think it's the same as the e46 in this regard.

Your 328i would have likely had ASC which is just acting on the rears and needs only a quick press of the button to switch off. Works pretty quietly in the background and doesn't blink the light always and let's you understeer into oblivion if you get a slippery patch!
The DSC by contrast works on all 4 wheels.

Just a suggestion that you get some practice in wide open space. The z can snap back the other way very quickly in the wet - just when you think you have it goes the other way bigger and faster than you'd like!

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Went out for my first 'speed run' I guess you would call it in the 3.0! Started pushing it a bit harder, getting more acclimatized to the handling. I still think my first post is bang on, however I've found that if I dial it back a notch compared to the 1.9 when entering the bend it makes for a much more enjoyable experience. Had a much better time with my driving buddies and didn't feel like I was having to push the car so hard to keep up with the flow.

I think it would likely benefit from a more sporty stance, I'm not a fan of aftermarket upgrades in general as in the past I've had an overall bad experience with them. Does anyone know what the difference in ride height it from the Sport and standard Roadster? I've read conflicting posts about whether or not there is a difference, my car is pre the existence of a sport model I understand.

Also traction control / DSC, etc. Didn't have it on my 1.9. WTF is up with this system?! Not sure if mine is not operating 100% on my 3.0 but it was cutting in all the time when it did not need to be. Gave up and turned it off in the end and it drove absolutely fine. Every spirited attempt to round a bend resulted in the dashboard flashing at me like a Christmas tree. Had plenty of rear wheel drive cars in the past but this car and my e46 328Ci are the only ones that had traction control. The e46 I never remember it being an issue but this system is far too restrictive.
15mm difference in height between the sport and standard

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
The DSC can be very active at this time of year. On my e46 330i it would cut in to try and control understeer.
I believe 1 press of the button will turn of the dynamic part (so braking of individual wheels to control understeer/lose of directional stability) but still keep traction control (so not spinning up the rears under power) on.
5sec press and it's fully off. Just double check your manual but I think it's the same as the e46 in this regard.

Your 328i would have likely had ASC which is just acting on the rears and needs only a quick press of the button to switch off. Works pretty quietly in the background and doesn't blink the light always and let's you understeer into oblivion if you get a slippery patch!
The DSC by contrast works on all 4 wheels.

Just a suggestion that you get some practice in wide open space. The z can snap back the other way very quickly in the wet - just when you think you have it goes the other way bigger and faster than you'd like!
Just a question for you. I've never done anything to my 1.9 as I've only started to really drive it after having it 4 years. When taking turns at a slightly faster speed that with regular cars, I almost get the feeling that I might roll it over. The shocks really don't feel worn as they take the bumps well. What can be replaced on the car to eliminate this feeling? Thanks, Frankie

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Interesting write up @Poprin but I don't see this as a fair comparison,

Both cars are going to have very tired suspension components as well as bushes. The 1.9 will feel better in this situation because it wont have the power to put the chassis under strain and the 3.0 will cause it to flex and wobble all over the place. In some of your descriptions you have described symptoms of a very tired running gear.

Lee

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
Having started my Zed experience with a 2.0 which was fun, I progressed to a 2.2 sport which when modified was an and still is an amazing car to drive. The difference when replacing the worn out suspension components was like chalk and cheese. Now I have a 3.0 also, having replaced the suspension and drop links in particular, the drive again is like chalk and cheese, yes she's only done 84k but the rubber was tired and dry. The only old rubber left is already in the pipeline for replacement. If you read my progress thread on my 3.0 you will see what state the parts were. It drove fine, but now I have experienced by driving refurbished cars, I know what they should drive like.

When you mention, nose heavy and such as @Lee has mentioned, that is a classic description of tired bushes and possibly shocks. You will be amazed at the difference when you get these components changed if you get a chance.

In my mind, the 2.0 was a great car, the 2.2 sport is my driving girl, the 3.0 is my Euro cruiser and run baby. All great cars and all deserve to be held high in there own spotlight.