Z3 (M44)
Looks great, what's with the Ferrari cap?:whistle:

Felix79

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4MR
Looks great, what's with the Ferrari cap?:whistle:
Ever since Mansell raced for Ferrari in '89 and '90 , I have been a fan of the brand. The F40 LM is my all time fave car. I don't like them in F1 due to Vettle being the antichrist as far as I'm concerned. Normally I have a cap on my head when I am out, but have learnt that driving with a cap on always ends up with me being pulled over, as I look such a chav!

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Being a tad biased, I think that red apart, no other colour comes up like black when at its best. Looks superb!

It's a :scorecard: from Len :thumbsup:

Felix79

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4MR
Being a tad biased, I think that red apart, no other colour comes up like black when at its best. Looks superb!

It's a :scorecard: from Len :thumbsup:
Personally, I think the Z4 looks best in the darker blue colours. There was an '06 with 89,000 about 50 miles from me. We had contacted them twice, with detailed info on the JCW Mini, but they never bothered to get back to us, so I went with the more local '07 with 96,000 on the clock.

The colour has really grown on me. Dad still uses the same chemicals from his valeting days (your avatar is well known to my family ;) ). The car was seriously dirty as I've clocked up about 500 miles since it was last properly done by him the day I got it.

He's helping me with getting a few minor things touched up, such as the clips for my M/// kick plate on the drivers side. My drivers seat need a bit of attention as well.

While we were at the BMW dealership today, I mentioned the Zed Shed would like it if he could give them some advice with paint correction and he went all modest on me lol!

He wants to work on my "Zed" and get the paint perfect, as the Carbon Black really looks amazing up close.

I took these photos with my iPhone X, which is not the greatest device to use for photos.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Personally, I think the Z4 looks best in the darker blue colours. There was an '06 with 89,000 about 50 miles from me. We had contacted them twice, with detailed info on the JCW Mini, but they never bothered to get back to us, so I went with the more local '07 with 96,000 on the clock.

The colour has really grown on me. Dad still uses the same chemicals from his valeting days (your avatar is well known to my family ;) ). The car was seriously dirty as I've clocked up about 500 miles since it was last properly done by him the day I got it.

He's helping me with getting a few minor things touched up, such as the clips for my M/// kick plate on the drivers side. My drivers seat need a bit of attention as well.

While we were at the BMW dealership today, I mentioned the Zed Shed would like it if he could give them some advice with paint correction and he went all modest on me lol!

He wants to work on my "Zed" and get the paint perfect, as the Carbon Black really looks amazing up close.

I took these photos with my iPhone X, which is not the greatest device to use for photos.
Yup, really like the darker blues such as @Mint's zed. I'd love to have the time, kit and skills to do proper detailing though not concourse as you'd never want to take it out.

I'm sure that peeps would flock to the #Zedshed to watch an expert at work.

Felix79

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4MR
Yup, really like the darker blues such as @Mint's zed. I'd love to have the time, kit and skills to do proper detailing though not concourse as you'd never want to take it out.

I'm sure that peeps would flock to the #Zedshed to watch an expert at work.
Should we plan to do something in the spring/summer with him going over what he does in private and what he use to do with customers cars? The warmer weather would be much easier for him to do.

He is a perfectionist and I have to reassure him people would be interested :)

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Should we plan to do something in the spring/summer with him going over what he does in private and what he use to do with customers cars? The warmer weather would be much easier for him to do.

He is a perfectionist and I have to reassure him people would be interested :)
I think so though run it through @Lee and @GazHyde et al if doing it at the #Zedshed and if so set up a day on the events section. It's the methodology, prep and equipment that peeps would be interested in. Also what not to do/use etc. Most peeps just don't have the time for a full on job so some good tips would be ideal.

Felix79

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4MR
I think so though run it through @Lee and @GazHyde et al if doing it at the #Zedshed and if so set up a day on the events section. It's the methodology, prep and equipment that peeps would be interested in. Also what not to do/use etc. Most peeps just don't have the time for a full on job so some good tips would be ideal.
A lot of time can be saved if people wash the car with the right products and methods. For example, the stuff he used on my Zed has a silicon element in it, which means he does not need to polish it. If he was going to do a detail, or cut and polish, he would use something different in the the wash stage.

He will be joining me for most of the events I want to attend in 2019, so once he gets to know people he'll be happy to share what he knows. Sadly it was only his old age that stopped him valeting. He did it for 20 years, but stopped just before these cheap hand wash stations popped up everywhere. I have never meet anyone else who has such a pure love for cars and things with engines. We use to take both our cars to local meets and he would take some of the local people out in his M3 for a blast, which stunned people as they expected him to not be so young in his behaviour.

I know I go on about him a lot in my posts, but cars and my dad are so intertwined for me, it's hard not the mention one without the other. Also with my physical limitations, I have to depend on his help. I am just lucky that he enjoys cleaning cars so much! :)

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
A lot of time can be saved if people wash the car with the right products and methods. For example, the stuff he used on my Zed has a silicon element in it, which means he does not need to polish it. If he was going to do a detail, or cut and polish, he would use something different in the the wash stage.

He will be joining me for most of the events I want to attend in 2019, so once he gets to know people he'll be happy to share what he knows. Sadly it was only his old age that stopped him valeting. He did it for 20 years, but stopped just before these cheap hand wash stations popped up everywhere. I have never meet anyone else who has such a pure love for cars and things with engines. We use to take both our cars to local meets and he would take some of the local people out in his M3 for a blast, which stunned people as they expected him to not be so young in his behaviour.

I know I go on about him a lot in my posts, but cars and my dad are so intertwined for me, it's hard not the mention one without the other. Also with my physical limitations, I have to depend on his help. I am just lucky that he enjoys cleaning cars so much! :)
Nice statement :thumbsup:

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
It one of those things trying to surpass the master. My dad is a whizz with building scratch balsa model aeroplanes and I’m still a padawan in his eyes and rightly so some skills does take a journey to speak I hopefully will get to meet you both on next years circuit. Would be great if he would be willing to do some group demos showing how people should use there polishers etc I’m sure he’ll get more than his weight in bacon butties :) and some.

Felix79

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4MR
It one of those things trying to surpass the master. My dad is a whizz with building scratch balsa model aeroplanes and I’m still a padawan in his eyes and rightly so some skills does take a journey to speak I hopefully will get to meet you both on next years circuit. Would be great if he would be willing to do some group demos showing how people should use there polishers etc I’m sure he’ll get more than his weight in bacon butties :) and some.
When I was going through a bad time as a teen I worked with him for a while. I was in pretty good shape, but my god to do what he did was ballbusting! Because of all the damage in my lumbar area, damaged discs and nerves, I can't bend very easily and usually it HURTS to do so. I use to be able to do a lot on my own cars until I was 27 in '07. He's still got the mentally of someone who is much younger than he is, which is good as I think the longer you keep active mentally and physically, the longer you stay around.

I've watched him learn how to do much more advanced machine polishing when he was in his 50's and he just had a natural knack for it. If we were not based in Oxford (not a car loving city by any shape of the imagination) , I think he would have done more high end stuff. He did regularly do Ferrari's , 911's, Astons (we were even given the care of an Aston Vanquish for around 6 weeks as the owner only trusted dad to look after it,drive it and not bin it. The gearbox was worse than the BMW SMG box, which I never thought possible!). Even after he sold the business on, customers would call dad and ask him to do their cars for them as a once in a while thing, as they just didn't trust anyone else. That made me very proud of the old bugger.

He's rather excited to get involved with carclub stuff with me, as it's something we've only been able to do since I was able to get much nicer cars. I've always loved the E30, which was due to him taking me out in a customers 325i Motorsport Convertible back when I was about 13 in the early 90's. My folks have owned some really nice BMW's such as dads first BMW being an Oxford Green E34 540i. It was a bloody beast of a car and was result of him driving an M5 too fast with mum, when he was test driving it. I never had the heart to tell her than the 540i could easily be just as fast lol!

He wasn't to thrilled when I told him I wanted an E85/86 Z4, as he's never liked Bangle's designs, but when I told him I was going to a Z4M, which had the same S54 as his beloved E46 M3, well he was rather happy to get me the car, so I could start getting back on my feet after having to deal with my constant back pain for the last 11 years. I'm having some really big sugary next year, to have a device put onto my spinal cord to block out the pain signals. This will then help me start to have instant control over my pain, which is something the strong opiate can't do. One reason I have always done so much stuff with dad, is if my back "goes", I have someone who can support me (I'm over 6.4 and 19 stone, so having my dad to lean on makes life manageable) , get me home, where I then have to take a lot of extra drugs to help me get through things. For the last four years, I've been having my damaged nerves burnt back by an electrical "iron" that get stuck in me once a year, which has to be done without anything numbing the nerves as I have to give my pain doctor feedback during the operation. This has finally added up to me regaining so much strength this year, as it needs several treatments for the nerves to grow back in a way that it don't hurt all the time.

The one thing I will point out to people is my dad pretty much used the same tools for 20 years doing his business. He replaced the odd hose and lance, but the pressure washer , wet/dry hoover and his machining tools are still working (pressure washer and water tank was sold with his old van). What changed over the years was how he did things and the chemicals he used. He use to have a black E Class before he got his dream M3 when he "retired" the first time. It was a solid black and he spent his weekends working on getting it's paint flawless, no swirls. He will be very modest about what he did, but trust me when I say that Merc has a mirror finish that I've only seen ceramic coated cars have. Black paint is the worse and best paint to learn this stuff on, as it shows every little flaw. He's really fired up to get the carbon black on my "Zed" perfect next year and I know he secretly already has fallen for the styling of the car, but he did tell me today it will take a long time before he could ever love the front end lol.

As I've said in a few other posts, the whole ZedShed thing some of you guys are doing really resonates with him, as that's what him and his biking buddies did in the 60's and that is what a club is about.

This first meet we will both be at is the one in Bicester on the 9th Jan. PistonHeads are doing their Sunday service there, on top of all the people who are going for all the classic car stuff. If I go far enough up the list, I may be at the big meet this weekend at BMWUK HQ, but it's unlikely. I've already bought my ticket for Zedfest and he's rather interested that there can be such a big event with the Z cars. I know the Z3M has always been something he's wanted a closer look at, as it's a proper M devision sunkworks project, which he's a big fan of. Dad's always been a big fan of M cars, where I've always liked the Alpina side of things, so he was really shocked that rather going for one of the two Alpina Roadsters on sale, I went for a Z4MR. There is also a regular meet at the Black Swan in Oakham, every 2nd Sunday morning and we will be going to that pretty regularly, as it gives my "Zed" a really good run, where it's not being driven like a total loon!

How 29

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 Edition Exclusive
wow that's a long message would take me week to type that up with my typing skills.

Felix79

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4MR
wow that's a long message would take me week to type that up with my typing skills.
My skills are in IT, but I use to do a lot of competitive gaming in my early to mid 20's. With the slower internet connections back then, you didn't have thing like Discord, so you would learn to type really quickly. Also when my meds are kicking in, I tend to waffle in my posts. Because of my situation, I find it's best to get it out of the way, as in the past people have judged me in a negative way, because bar the many scars on my back from treatments, I don't "look" like I'm not right. Also, I'm proud of my old man and as people will be getting to know the two of us in 2019, I just like to explain things best I can. I'm dyslexic , so I struggle to get what I mean typed in a few short line. I'm sorry I waffle on so much.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
My skills are in IT, but I use to do a lot of competitive gaming in my early to mid 20's. With the slower internet connections back then, you didn't have thing like Discord, so you would learn to type really quickly. Also when my meds are kicking in, I tend to waffle in my posts. Because of my situation, I find it's best to get it out of the way, as in the past people have judged me in a negative way, because bar the many scars on my back from treatments, I don't "look" like I'm not right. Also, I'm proud of my old man and as people will be getting to know the two of us in 2019, I just like to explain things best I can. I'm dyslexic , so I struggle to get what I mean typed in a few short line. I'm sorry I waffle on so much.
I shouldn't be concerned by any of that. My IT skills are that poor that I thought my PC was a Russian make as it had a button that said 'On/Off' and my gaming skills are what Bryl Cream is to Kojak :D Oh, I'm also an Olympic Champion at talking b*******s , apparently. I do have a shiny Zed though :D

Felix79

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4MR
I shouldn't be concerned by any of that. My IT skills are that poor that I thought my PC was a Russian make as it had a button that said 'On/Off' and my gaming skills are what Bryl Cream is to Kojak :D Oh, I'm also an Olympic Champion at talking b*******s , apparently. I do have a shiny Zed though :D
And a healthy love for GR4's it seems? I'm rather a big plane nerd and have always regretted not joining the RAF when I was younger. Heck I even have a "Remove Before Flight" tag on my Zeds key, with the Vulcan on the back :D

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
And a healthy love for GR4's it seems? I'm rather a big plane nerd and have always regretted not joining the RAF when I was younger. Heck I even have a "Remove Before Flight" tag on my Zeds key, with the Vulcan on the back :D
The mighty 'two man two fan swing wing angel of death'. Sadly the old girl will take her last flight before being decommissioned in March 2019 :( A great servant and a great kite. As a retired RAF Firefighter she was the first kite I worked on, GR1 that is, happy days indeed crawling round a wheel brake fire whilst pining all the armaments and making safe the Mauser Cannon then pining the seats and making safe the cockpit. Great days indeed.

RB199's, the sound of freedom :D