my black beauty

colm

hi just like to thank Gaz for the warm welcome to the group ,
my name is Colm i come from the town of Lurgan co Armagh N.Ireland ,basically i joined the group to talk to other people with Z3,S and learn a few of the pitfalls and advantages of owning a Z3 ,i love the little car and i have got a set of 18in MV3,S to replace the 16in standard wheels which wll be fitted on monday..
i would ask would it make the car more skitty for want of a better word with the 18,s on it.
i find that with the 16 standards it can tend to follow lines on the road.
i would also like to know if my 1.9 has a limited slip dif ?

Attachments

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
:welcome: to the forum @colm from West Cumbria. Got 18's on mine and she does tram line a tad but having read some info on here there is a fix. Not technically minded to fix it myself though so I'll live with it for now.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Welcome @colm, lovely looking car you have. In answer to your questions the 18s will change the ride of the car but try them and see, our cars are getting on a bit now and sometimes need a little bit of TLC when it comes to suspension and bushes.

You will can enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in to a web site to see the build list on your car, this will confirm which diff you have. I'll add the website in a mo when I remember.

Edit here you go:-

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hey Colm, glad you popped up an introduction with some pictures too!

I've been running on 18's for the last 4 years, and to be honest I've not personally suffered from wayward steering of any form. My current 18's are a little prone to following ruts in the road, but I have 2 budget tyres on the rear and two different brands on the front. I'm confident that once I get round to matching the rubber up all round that will resolve it.

The 18's I'm going to be selling in the next few weeks all have quality tyres all round and drive straight and true. It's worth mentioning though that I have had pretty much all the rubber suspension components changed front and rear which made a huge difference too.

But, that all said experiences on here have varied widely...

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Hello colm and :welcome: to .org from here in South Wales. Hope you enjoy your new zed and have lots of sunny weather
to put the top down. :thumbsup:

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Hi Colm and welcome from me in Hertfordshire. Have recently changed from 17in to 18 in on my 2.8 and after 8yrs on 17in I was dreading the much talked about worse ride on bigger wheels syndrome, having to also purchase tyres at the same time I decided to try a softer tyre hoping to negate the worse ride. Glad to say it has worked and ride seems about the same as on the 17s if not a tad better, obvious pitfall will be the higher wear rate of the softer tyre which I feel will and is worth it. Tram lining is and has always been a trate of these Zs and seems to be about the same, have no problems over all types of road humps and the worst roads Hertforshire can throw at me, still have OEM suspension so sits a little higher than I would like, probably this factor that mostly helps the ride comfort. Good luck and enjoy your Z. Rha, Roy.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
Hi and welcome to the forum :p
From Bradwell near Great Yarmouth :)

Eddie Zedder

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.0
:welcome: Colm, you have come to the right place, enjoy!

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
Wel... Colm to the forums!! I'm new myself and have had a very warm reception so far. Lots to read through and well worth and evening browsing :thumbsup:

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi and welcome , the tramlining in a zed is quite common and tyre choice appears to have a bearing as other members have found it being removed when tyres have been changed.. You may find it a different ride on the 18's and hopefully the tramlining may resolve itself...... :)

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Welcome Colm on the forum and hope on the M44Massive!:)
Seems the rims don't do too much against tramling...sometimes it can be reduced just with the tires model. Try to read some of the related posts.
If I'll be you I will not give up the Z Star wheels, which are so "Zeddie"!
And your black beauty it's a fine example of 1.9!:thumbsup: