might have found my project Z3MR.....but

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
Guys,

I'm on the lookout and am going to see a car nr Leeds, hopefully at the weekend. At £6k its good value too, but I dont want a pup!
Can anyone tell from pics if the boot floor welds are cause for concern. Look like they're on their way to me?
It needs a softtop (worn looking and frayed) and the window is clouded, driver's seat bolster not good, front/rear bumper scratched, plus will need a service as its only done 4.5k since the last, but that was 2yr ago.! Will come with new MOT though. No known VANOS work done. FBMWSH with only the last one an Indy. 72k miles.

Any comments welcome. (its the one on PH @ 6k)

thanks

Michael.

Attachments

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
well ones gone but for 6k if the cars otherwise sound it would be worth getting it looked at and strengthened if needed IMO
but factor in the new softtop/service/vanos....that money is soon going to rise...iv only just got one so im no expert but after fixing everything you could have bought one without the issues

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Yes there is one spot weld there that looks as if it has popped judging by the rusty look. You really also need to inspect the ones going down the left side under the boot trim to get a truer picture plus an inspection from underneath to see what condition the diff hanger is in will only give you a true indication of the extent of the damage. I wouldn't get too worked up about it though as this could really be a good bargaining point as it can be repaired for £2-300. Softtop wise to replace you are looking at £3-400 again depending on how bad it is you may not need to replace immediatly and maybe look towards doing that next winter and just enjoy it for this summer as you will have it down most of the time hopefully anyway.

I live near Leeds so if you want a second opinion this weekend let me know and we can meet up if you like.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Yes look out for a good one as these cars can be money pits....

It mite be ok but factor in you can buy a mint one that needs no work for around 7k+ they are out there...

Take your time and view a few before you bite the bullet... cheap isnt always the best option

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Some pics of the top and seat etc. What do you think.?

Aceman - I would definately take you up on your kind offer once I know when and where. Thankyou. :-bd

Attachments

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
The top and seat bolster have worn in the usual places and can be improved visually obviously except for the small holes in the hood. A cloudy rear window is a very easy fix few products available to remedy that. There are some how to's for those and shouldn't be deal breakers but bargaining aids. You would benefit immensely from having a forum member help you when viewing, great offer from Aceman.

Snoops ont'apatalk

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Yes if you can go with ace man in his M you'll have a good chance to compare two cars..
He'll know what to look out for.. ;)
Best of luck, but remember take your time.. Buying the right one is half the experience!

Johnwayne

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
"M" Roadster
Echo all the points previously recorded but would add that you hear the engine from cold as this should highlight any obvious defects to hydraulic lifters,vanos etc.

I have had 2 hoods fitted to my previous cars and both cost in the region of £550 per car .

Paintwork is costly and I would factor in a minimum of £300 for a reputable bodyshop to repair front/rear bumpers
The seat bolster can easily be rectified by using the correct dye and good preparation(I have kit if you need to borrow)
The boot floor can be welded for £200 but if the damage is severe and the diff unit has to be removed this is far more costly!

Taking Aceman with you will be a real bonus as he will be able to point out the known areas of concern, wing mirror bases, sills etc

Don't want to put a dampner on your enthusiasm but better safe than sorry-Good luck

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
I would not recommend a project car unless you can DIY. Labour charges will cripple the project.

They are only money pits for labour, parts prices are similar to normal Z3s.

The floor looks like it has a crease in it running from the popped weld towards the right of the grommet bulge. This will require strengthening.

An Inspection 2 incl coolant and brake fluid on an M costs about £150 for parts and takes 6-8 hours. You need special tools to replace the valve shims if required.

I'd take it on, but I don't have the space.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
The diff picture is of no use as you have to get right under and look up at the boot floor to see anything. If you arrange a viewing ask if it would be possible to get the car up on a ramp when you go to view it then it will be easier but don't worry if they can't I will bring a mat to lye on. Also you need to hear the engine started from cold so ask that they don't move it beforehand or put it in a position that would allow it to be viewed first thing without starting it.

The hood to be honest looks as though it could do with a good clean which will make to look tons better but the holes and damage to the edge does mean a replacement will be in order at some point but as said not necessarily something that needs doing straight away especially if the car will be garaged, something to save up for a rainy day. :))

The seat bolster I wouldn't worry about at all as this can be brought back to almost new condition without much effort it is amazing what can be done with the products available on the market nowadays.

When I bought my ///M it wasn't perfect by all means and still isn't but that is one of the things that I really enjoy is returning a car back to showroom condition so if you are like me and relish the prospect of working on such great cars this one looks like an ideal opportunity.

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
Everyone,

Thanks for the input. All very informative, consistent and concise.
I'm waiting to see if the seller is available on Sunday and plan to look in on one at Lancashire on the way back. Its on PH for £8200, .net forum member and still some room for movement in the price, not alot though! Although it looks very tidy and original for approx £1500 difference.

Aceman - I'll PM you once I know more re the Leeds one. Thanks again

BS

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Hi Big Slippy. Just had a look at the one you mentioned on pistonheads, looks to have good service history which is very important with these cars. I had a cracker for £7750 with less mileage so you can go armed with that fact. ;)

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
Paul,

Thanks for that. I agree.!!

Aceman - I've sent you a PM.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
i take it you bought it? :D

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
Swamper,

NO. had arranged to go and see it on Sunday, but got email saying it had been sold locally.! :-o

going to look at the one on PH for £8200 on Sunday instead (D.Neary) .net forum member :car)
Watch this space.!!

BS

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
good luck mate ;)
looks a goodun

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
2 more sleeps. :car) down :coolsteer) back

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
Guys,

Job done. Came up the road yesterday :coolsteer)
Will post pics on Gallery section for your comments.

BS

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
good man :coolsteer)