ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
If you haven’t watched tonight’s BBC1’s “Meat: A Threat To Our Planet” then please do.

I’m on Catch-Up TV and what I’m seeing is breaking my heart. We have approximately 7500 forum members here and my plea is simple: please watch this programme.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
I’ve just been reading up on the programme :(
I don’t think I will be able to watch it as it will make me feel ill :(
I’ve been vegetarian for 24 years now ;)
Poor animals :(

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
@Shelly I’d urge you to watch and tell the story to others, please.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I've been a vegetarian for 28 years. I do have to say I've always promised myself not to try and convert others. I feel they should make their own mind up. Personally, I simply can't get to grips with the idea of killing an animal and eating it. But if others want to do it I can't judge them.

And most of us vegetarians are hypocrites who will gladly wear leather and sit on it when driving our Zs!

I really don't need to watch the programme - it will only upset me. I can imagine exactly what it covers :arghh:

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
I've been a vegetarian for 28 years. I do have to say I've always promised myself not to try and convert others. I feel they should make their own mind up. Personally, I simply can't get to grips with the idea of killing an animal and eating it. But if others want to do it I can't judge them.

And most of us vegetarians are hypocrites who will gladly wear leather and sit on it when driving our Zs!

I really don't need to watch the programme - it will only upset me. I can imagine exactly what it covers :arghh:
You can’t imagine what it covers as it’s all new info @mrscalex so please spend one hour to view - it really is an eye-opener on our planet.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z

I agree with you 100 % :p
I will never try to convert people , it’s my choice and their choice ;)
If I go out for a meal and not much on the menu for me , I don’t complain as it’s my choice not to eat meat :)

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
You can’t imagine what it covers as it’s all new info @mrscalex so please spend one hour to view - it really is an eye-opener on our planet.
I think if I watch the programme I’ll have nightmares :p
And I don’t sleep very good at the best off times :(

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Did you know that 20% of the Amazon rainforest has been deforested for cattle? Do you know that sardines are feed to cattle and their harvest is depleting the oceans of vital food for penguins? Pigs are farmed extensively over in the States with their waste running into the rivers and thus polluting this source of water?

The programme is focused on the production of meat foods and how humankind is eating such an amount of meat that food producers are turning our planet into a meat production “line”. One pig farmer, refreshing, is using the waste in an imaginative way and it would be great if legislation were passed so others were as responsible.

I eat some meat, not a lot, tbh and I’m not advocating anyone opts to become a veggie or vegan. There were no blood and guts scenes, simply how food production is impacting our planet.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
It's one of a number of issues including the unsustainable and inappropriate use of land to produce plant crops. The real issue facing the world is overpopulation.

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
A thought for the day...

I agree that the production of meat from other countries is not as well controlled as the UK. We have one of the highest welfare standards that could possibly be enforced. Its not perfect as there will always be the ones who want to bend the rules.

The production of palm oils is killing the forests, the forests in Asia are disappearing at such a rate its frightening. Just look at what palm oil goes into. A lot of food as a cheap bulking additive and even hair products.

The striping of the worlds resources is at an alarming rate and is frightening. We are a plague that needs to be restricted in what we do but big companies control and abuse.

What I would say that we all need to do is think more about our own footprint.

Can what you are replacing, be repaired ? Do I need the latest phone ? What benefit does it give me over the old one ? Would I actually need that ?

Buy your food from local growers and farm shops. I get my venison from a local farm where they actually manage the countryside and wild venison. Its food feet not miles. Can your veg be local from the farmers market ? Cutting out the large supermarkets who transport fresh from the farm to the warehouse to the shop rather than from the field to the market ..

Think about your Christmas shopping. Do you need the flash wrapping paper that can not be recycled or maybe use some brown paper that can and add a stamp to decorate it yourself. Make it personal and enjoy the fun more. Do you really need that fruit from half way around the world too ? Local growers are suffering because of the trends the supermarkets want you to believe 'you need' but do you ?

If we all did a little we could all make a Great Country Great again.. World leaders in so much but we hide it away.

Over...

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Causes and Contributors, Human Kind are the direct cause, one of the main contributors are the Supermarkets. They'll have you think that they're responding to what the customer wants. This, in my view, is nonsense. In a ever competitive market the Supermarkets display their goods and we buy them. If they weren't there we wouldn't buy them. I love my meat so I'd never go veggie or vegan but respect those that do. Paul's point about phones is a good one, do we really need the next model? Not really, however, the mobile phone makers deliberately slow your own phone knowing full well that in today's tek society you'll buy the next one. Case in point, my Galaxy slowed to a crawl (contract up for renewal, spookey) so I now have a new one when there was nothing wrong with my old one. We could all go on forever but voting with your wallet is the answer, only buy local or UK produce . ....... but the majority won't, including me.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Totally agree with Paul and Andy, but instead of looking inward at ourselves I think we should be looking outward at the rest of the worlds big polluters, just consider how much we’re trying to do to decrease our pollution and start to give ourselves some credit. We are a relatively small country and even if our carbon footprint was nil it wouldn’t make a significant difference to our planets problem. Pointing our finger at the big polluters and saying how much we’ve achieved in comparison to theirs is surely the way to go. Not saying we should give up but we should recognise that our footprint is certainly no where near the worst. The only way in my view to change this country’s footprint significantly is get a Green Party government, then you’ll still have to convince the rest of the world, so I won’t be holding my breath. Eating meat is only part of the problem, it’s buying it from the rest of the world. Sometimes I think this country is too intelligent for its own good, we can’t somehow get it into our heads that we’ve just got to wait for the rest of the world to catch up, again not holding my breath. Back in the 50s/60s we supplied third world farmers with Tractors pulling 6 blade plows when they were still using Animals plus single plow, that brought them into line with the rest of the developed world. Only trouble is that meant they lost the power of their own evolution, did this really help their development or ours. We now reap what we have previously sowed and buy cheaper produce than we can grow ourselves. The mind boggles and yes I am concerned for future generations but am in no way swayed by the assumption that this planet can be saved. Now where did I leave that length of rope cos I actually had mince beef for my dinner. Nuff said.

RHA, ROY.

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Well it’s nice to see a balanced thread here. I agree with a lot but then wonder how much is also about big business and control.

Ever considered that if you have to use supplements in your diet, who actually makes these. As well as the companies that make the GM food ... hold on. It’s one and the same.

Balanced diet is the way to go.

@Rha we are world leaders in so much yet other countries abuse the system.

I had a very harsh and thought provoking conversation last year with an Aid worker. The more Aid we give, the more it’s expected. The more it’s expected the less they will produce or innovate. Before you say lack of water. Think desalination it’s possible. It needs planning. More to debate I think.

I agree with Roy on the plough too.

Reactions: Rha

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Well it’s nice to see a balanced thread here. I agree with a lot but then wonder how much is also about big business and control.

Ever considered that if you have to use supplements in your diet, who actually makes these. As well as the companies that make the GM food ... hold on. It’s one and the same.

Balanced diet is the way to go.

@Rha we are world leaders in so much yet other countries abuse the system.

I had a very harsh and thought provoking conversation last year with an Aid worker. The more Aid we give, the more it’s expected. The more it’s expected the less they will produce or innovate. Before you say lack of water. Think desalination it’s possible. It needs planning. More to debate I think.

I agree with Roy on the plough too.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for life. Or something like that said somebody once, apparently.

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
Been involved in farming all my life almost 60 years.What you eat that is produced from most farms in this country has never been so safe and had the highest welfare standards.You can always find some cowboys in every industry but if you want to make a living the better you look after you animals and crops the better yield.Its a fact I can’t complete with beef products from Brazil Argentina,Australia,Namibia or America.when Frankie and I drove across Texas we passed stinking cattle yards that were miles long eating who knows what crap and served up on a huge plate to an unsuspecting public.We get a small EU subsidy to almost make the job pay but I don’t do this for the money but it’s my life.Part of the problem is people want cheap food ,we can produce quality but not cheap,unless we get bigger and more industrial it doesn’t really work in the Welsh hills.Another problem the people who can afford to buy our products will probably eat less of them and the people that can’t will probably carry on eating imported cheaply produced but high mileage alternatives. I’ve shed a tear when I’ve had to take an older animal too market but it’s how we make our living and I know I’ve given it the best of me while it’s been in my care.Im handing over to our son and it’s a weight off my shoulders at my age but if he’s going to last as long as me in the business people will have too make choices on where they buy their food from

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Been involved in farming all my life almost 60 years.What you eat that is produced from most farms in this country has never been so safe and had the highest welfare standards.You can always find some cowboys in every industry but if you want to make a living the better you look after you animals and crops the better yield.Its a fact I can’t complete with beef products from Brazil Argentina,Australia,Namibia or America.when Frankie and I drove across Texas we passed stinking cattle yards that were miles long eating who knows what crap and served up on a huge plate to an unsuspecting public.We get a small EU subsidy to almost make the job pay but I don’t do this for the money but it’s my life.Part of the problem is people want cheap food ,we can produce quality but not cheap,unless we get bigger and more industrial it doesn’t really work in the Welsh hills.Another problem the people who can afford to buy our products will probably eat less of them and the people that can’t will probably carry on eating imported cheaply produced but high mileage alternatives. I’ve shed a tear when I’ve had to take an older animal too market but it’s how we make our living and I know I’ve given it the best of me while it’s been in my care.Im handing over to our son and it’s a weight off my shoulders at my age but if he’s going to last as long as me in the business people will have too make choices on where they buy their food from
Indeed. The Dairy Farm we live on the 180 or so cows are very well cared for indeed, not that I profess to know much, but it certainly looks the case to me. High proportions of people could afford better food but just dont realise it, cheap meat is just that, cheap and crap.

That said, I tip my hat to Mark, the owner, a 1 man band that works all the hours God sends. It's not a job, it's a way of life.

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
@miller1098 we have had our differences over the last few years but I would like to thank you and people like you that do indeed keep this country going.

I prefer to have a smaller portion but understand where my food has come from. Probably why I love venison so much. Actually had some rabbit for the first time in ages last week. Was very nice too.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
will probably carry on eating imported cheaply produced but high mileage alternatives
Me and Shirl were talking about this just yesterday. I can remember my Mam saying that Beef had gone up to £1 a lb, this was back in the late 70's. We saw an add for Morrisons (I think) quoting Beef at £5 a kilo, that is roughly £2.50 a lb only 40 years later, that has to be cheaply produced meat surely.

Tony.

ps. On a lighter note, I was given a Pigs heart valve 11 years ago (bless that pig) and I can only hope it was a side product of a Bacon Butty :), I wouldn't want it to be wasted.;)

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
@miller1098 we have had our differences over the last few years but I would like to thank you and people like you that do indeed keep this country going.

I prefer to have a smaller portion but understand where my food has come from. Probably why I love venison so much. Actually had some rabbit for the first time in ages last week. Was very nice too.
Thanks Paul,in my minuscule way I hope I’ve made a contribution that’s what we all try to do,and I hope our kids will if I’ve shown them right.

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
Me and Shirl were talking about this just yesterday. I can remember my Mam saying that Beef had gone up to £1 a lb, this was back in the late 70's. We saw an add for Morrisons (I think) quoting Beef at £5 a kilo, that is roughly £2.50 a lb only 40 years later, that has to be cheaply produced meat surely.

Tony.

ps. On a lighter note, I was given a Pigs heart valve 11 years ago (bless that pig) and I can only hope it was a side product of a Bacon Butty :), I wouldn't want it to be wasted.;)
I used to deliver meat to the bull ring whole sale market in Birmingham for our local abattoir and there was container loads of beef being unloaded from Namibia and sent to wholesalers and pubs 2 steaks for a tenner cheap Sunday lunch,many can’t tell the difference as long it’s a huge serving:(. Can’t even remember when I last had a steak I hadn’t cooked myself as it’s mostly always disappointing in a pub.