Looking to buy a Z3

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Hi.my advice is don't buy one that lived by the sea. And go biggest engine you can afford.

Or you'll end up changing pretty soon
I also made the mistake of buying one that lived by the sea, it actually looked a bit like the titanic looks today, all sorted now though ;)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
hi everyone I’m looking to join the club and become the owner of a Zed!

So if anyone can help with any advice that’s be great

Or if you know of any for sale

Looking for somwtnjng between £2k and £4K

Many thanks and looking forward to hearing from you

Ruth
Hi Ruth, best advice I can give is try one of every type from 1.9 to 3.0 or as someone has already said you really could well soon be looking for another. If you're not too fussed about a quick car look at a 2.2 (and that isn't any disrespect to any 2.2 owners) because a 2.2 is probably the best all round Z3, but, if you want to have a car which is quick off the mark then try a 2.8 or a 3.0.
I first had a 2.0 Z3 now I have a 3.0 Z4 which I really do love and as an every day car I think it's better for me than a Z3.
Happy hunting.

Tony.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Hi Ruth, best advice I can give is try one of every type from 1.9 to 3.0 or as someone has already said you really could well soon be looking for another. If you're not too fussed about a quick car look at a 2.2 (and that isn't any disrespect to any 2.2 owners) because a 2.2 is probably the best all round Z3, but, if you want to have a car which is quick off the mark then try a 2.8 or a 3.0.
I first had a 2.0 Z3 now I have a 3.0 Z4 which I really do love and as an every day car I think it's better for me than a Z3.
Happy hunting.

Tony.
Why is it said that a 2.2 is a best all round car, its only 15kg lighter then a 2.8 but has 30 brake less, so cornering would be exactly the same but the 2.2 has less power to pull out of trouble, its always bemused why this is said

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
And what about the 1.9 M44!?;)
If you don't race is all you need!:thumbsup:
Feels great on the mountain roads!:)
(Sorry guys but is no one to defend the great army of M44!:D)

Sp02zbr

Zorg Addict
The 2.2 isn't much quicker than a 1.9 get a nice 2.8 and won't regret it later on.

Layor

Zorg Addict
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 SDrive 23i M Sport 2.5Ltr. H.T Convertable
By the way, Ruth, I forgot to mention that my brother lives in Maidstone. So, if you get an offer to buy a Zed from someone called 'Rick' in Maidstone, forget it!! :D:D:D
Del boy has nothing on him!:ymdevil::ymdevil::ymdevil:.
Colin.

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
I first bought a M44 - 1.9, loved it but wanted more power. So ended up buying a M52B28 - 2.8 aswell! :D

They are addictive once your in them. They are both great fun to drive and I'm planning on keeping both long term.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
The 2.2's are usually very well fitted out with parts as standard that other's upgrade to, ie sports seats for instance

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
AT 4k you will get a great Zed, at 2k if you're careful you'll get a good one. Try to get one from an enthusiast that's owned and loved it for a few years, always going to be a better option IMHO (and agree with the above comments go for a 6 cylinder.) and stay away from face lift models, they're ugly :whistle::whistle::whistle: (he says ducking and covering :D:D)

Layor

Zorg Addict
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 SDrive 23i M Sport 2.5Ltr. H.T Convertable
"Hi.my advice is don't buy one that lived by the sea. And go biggest engine you can afford."

You can always tell if a Zed has lived by the sea...... They have a lovely tan on their body work!
Colin.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
An M44 for excellent handling, sufficient power, cost of ownership. A S54 for best grunt, good handling and good looks, at a relatively high cost. All others are a compromise between these extremes. Avoid the 1.8/1.9 single cam at all costs. Just my humble opinion of course.:whistle:

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
If Ken will sell you his you won't go far wrong @Ruth wells. I know the car and it's an excellent example.

bp;ptxus

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
z3M
I would recommend the 2.8 that is quite rapid, nice to drive and quite good on petrol consumption and insurance. There is also a decent supply of them available, and as others have suggested, best to buy one from an enthusiast. Apart from my 2.8, I also have an s54M, and I would say that the difference between them is like having a prancing pony and a racehorse, one is fun and practical, forgiving, and can go at a good gallop; the other is fast, needs much more care and handling, and has to be raced to get the best out of it, or it can get temperamental.
Whichever one you end up with, it will absolutely put a smile on your face!!:happy:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Nope. . . . . . . . . . not yet.

Tony.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Why is it said that a 2.2 is a best all round car, its only 15kg lighter then a 2.8 but has 30 brake less, so cornering would be exactly the same but the 2.2 has less power to pull out of trouble, its always bemused why this is said
its said by people who dont have a 2.8 or 3.0

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
its said by people who dont have a 2.8 or 3.0
Not sure I agree with that mate. I've had a 2.8 an M and the Z4 and I still would say the Z3 2.2 is great value, sounds great, (better than the bigger 6 pots), has enough grunt (I know I chase them) and are usually better spec'd than 2.8s and 3.0s.. But to be fair I haven't owned one. Just my opinion.