Looking for a Z3..

Steve Medlock

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Hi, I'm Steve and I'm looking for my first Z3. I think I want a 6 pot motor rather than the four. I looked at a 2.2 today but don't think its for me. Hopefully seeing a 2.8 on Friday. Any recommendations as to what to look out for would be welcome.

Steve.

Steve Medlock

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I was having a problem with headroom clearance today - there was none and I think I had the seat at its lowest. I was wondering whether any of the seat options are better in this respect or whether the hardtop gives more room. Suspect I can't always have the hood down!

BMBabe

Zorg Expert (I)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
Welcome from Aylesbury

The 2.2 is an awesome engine!! It sounds really good nice rumble

The seat may of been to high
@pgunter and @Bozzy are tall and he seem to get on fine :thumbsup:

Good luck in your search :happy:

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
Welcome from Aylesbury

The 2.2 is an awesome engine!! It sounds really good nice rumble

The seat may of been to high
@pgunter and @Bozzy are tall and he seem to get on fine :thumbsup:

Good luck in your search :happy:
I'm about 6'3" and have no problem regarding head room /hight. Also really surprising how much leg room there is as well,on motorway journeys cruise control on,legs stretched out with my feet slotted in between the pedals. One of the best cars I've driven for leg room and comfort.......and just sooooo much fun.
I have a 2.8 with heated sports seats which is great on a cool day,toasty warm :).
Things on 2.8's to watch for is the dreaded transmission clunk with some gear changes but it can be almost eliminated fairly cheaply.
From what I've been told the 3.0 is perhaps the better one to go for.
Good look with your search @Steve Medlock .

Steve

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Welcome and good luck with your search, from Canada!! Too bad you've ruled out the 4cyl. It's a great bulletproof motor and handles beautifully!! JIM

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Steve and welcome from me too, back near Lincoln on Saturday. You can alleviate the headroom problem slightly by fitting seat lifters to the front seat mounting points which in turn tips the seat slightly backwards. There are a couple of types of these available @Grumpy has one type and @miller1098 another if I recall right.

Tony.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Hi Steve and welcome from me too, back near Lincoln on Saturday. You can alleviate the headroom problem slightly by fitting seat lifters to the front seat mounting points which in turn tips the seat slightly backwards. There are a couple of types of these available @Grumpy has one type and @miller1098 another if I recall right.

Tony.
I do I do! It's great. Used to suffer from terrible back pain after an hour in the zed. Not anymore! Your welcome to try mine if your local before taking the plunge but It definitely works for me.

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8

Tony.
Forgot about them @t-tony, I have these fitted to both seats and they certainly do improve head room a bit and make for better comfort.
Mine are from @Southernboy and are not visible once fitted.

Steve

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Hi and welcome, I'm certainly no expert and there's better people on here to advise you but I would suggest condition over any particular engine, it will save you money in the long run of course it depends on your budget. From speaking to other members all the engines are good for cruising and to be fair that's the point of a car like the zed you dont need bags full of power (though it is nice). Check for water in the cabin (dry carpets don't necessarily mean its water proof, have a good sniff for any stale water smells and in the lower corners of the boot, un-clip the the side carpet and stick your hand in there. Clunking from the rear end could be bushes, there's plenty of threads on here about them, well worth reading. Tramlining could be worn front wishbone bushes etc again plenty of info on here. Good luck hope you find your Zed. (Look at as many as you can!)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi and welcome, I'm certainly no expert and there's better people on here to advise you but I would suggest condition over any particular engine, it will save you money in the long run of course it depends on your budget. From speaking to other members all the engines are good for cruising and to be fair that's the point of a car like the zed you dont need bags full of power (though it is nice). Check for water in the cabin (dry carpets don't necessarily mean its water proof, have a good sniff for any stale water smells and in the lower corners of the boot, un-clip the the side carpet and stick your hand in there. Clunking from the rear end could be bushes, there's plenty of threads on here about them, well worth reading. Tramlining could be worn front wishbone bushes etc again plenty of info on here. Good luck hope you find your Zed. (Look at as many as you can!)
More importantly maybe, drive as many as you can.

Tony.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
:welcome: to the forum from West Cumbria. 5 foot 11 and no dramas on the head room issue. 2.8 is my poison, sweeeeeeet. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
:welcome:Hi and welcome from me too :p

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi @Steve Medlock, :welcome: to the forum from a very satisfied 6 ft, 2.2 owner in Staffordshire. Good luck with your search, drive as many as you can get your hands on;)

AllyZ32.8i

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
I'm about 6'3" and have no problem regarding head room /hight. Also really surprising how much leg room there is as well,on motorway journeys cruise control on,legs stretched out with my feet slotted in between the pedals. One of the best cars I've driven for leg room and comfort.......and just sooooo much fun.
I have a 2.8 with heated sports seats which is great on a cool day,toasty warm :).
Things on 2.8's to watch for is the dreaded transmission clunk with some gear changes but it can be almost eliminated fairly cheaply.
From what I've been told the 3.0 is perhaps the better one to go for.
Good look with your search @Steve Medlock .

Steve
Hi Steve,

I have a 2.8 with a clunky noise on changing gears on low revs, How could be eliminated?