Key fobs again

Delk

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 real widebody
My car came with a single key and I got a second one cut. After I swapped the chip in it I somehow easily programmed it so it worked the central locking.

Now a few years later I am a bit older and more forgetful. Ann-Maries car only came with one key so again I purchased one and swapped the chips and it starts and works fine.

But for the life of me I can not remember how I programmed the central locking. ]

I have tried the turn to position one and off followed by hold the unlock (or lock) while activating the other button three times with various times in between and nothing.

If I try it with the original key it works and the doors lock and unlock as they should when finished.

Even tried it with my new key in my car and cant get it to work. I have no idea what I did but I do know it was simple.

So obviously I did something else but not sure what. Anyone have any ideas?

I also bought the tool for programming the chips a back then but never used it. Now that there are two cars maybe I will give it a go.

key.jpg

Delk

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 real widebody
Anyone have any ideas on this?

The newer key for my car programmed easily enough a few years ago but I can not get it to do it again. The old key programs just fine but the newer keys will not sync with either car no matter what I am doing. Odd since I did get the newer key to work fine before and it is still working just will not go through the syncing process again.

vetinari

Hi
I'm new to this forum and have key problems :
The car came with two keys , like the middle key in Delk"s picture
Both keys will open the car manually
Neither key would lock remotely even with new key batteries
Neither key arms the alarm [ not sure I even have alarm , or would want one }
Key 1 now remotely locks and unlocks the car , the car battery has to be absolutely fully charged. range depends on weather or gremlin's mood
Key 2 still will not lock and unlock remotely . The little red light winks encouragingly when buttons are punched.
I've tried all the abra cadabra methods I can find of reprogramming Key 2 , with no results .
Should I just give in , to the foibles of 19 year old electronics , [ after all a twitchy car alarm, if I had one , would only pee off the neighbours ] or is there something to be done ?
Vetinari

JohnB

Model of Z
Z3
Hi there, I’ve had similar problems with my keys and a little success recently. First thing I suggest is try reprogramming key to while holding it relatively close to the rear view mirror where the remote sensors live. That worked for me on about the fifth attempt! Alternatively you could send the key away to a repairer for testing. I found a couple on eBay who offer a no fix no fee arrangement. Neither fixed mine but in the end one suggested I purchase a used circuit board for my faulty key and swap it out myself. I found one on eBay from Lithuania for about 30 quid. You have to buy the right make of circuit board, mine was made by Siemens. Swapped over and the key seems to be working much better. Having said that I tried it yesterday and it seems to need reprogramming again!! :rolleyes: I think in simple terms the key has a circuit board and a separate transponder. I now wonder if my transponder is also fried…