Jim's Z3 Journey

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Hi all, thought that I would start a thread to document my journey of ownership of my summer toy.

Built - Aug 1997
Engine - 1.9 M44
Colour - Arctic Silver
Hood - Black
Interior - Red

I purchased her at the beginning of June 2017, for £1,500 and she was in excellent condition for her age.
The previous owner had had her for 13 years!
001 - When purchased - Jun17.jpg

She came with a factory fitted AC Schnitzer bodykit and exhaust.
006 - Rear - Jun17.jpg

Interior and paintwork had been well looked after. The leather just needed cleaning and feeding.

Only 2 minor repairs we needed initially:
  • Replace - Passenger wing mirror motor
  • Replace - Windscreen washer jet
Apart from that, I think I found a good egg with this motor.

So, being as I can't sit still and that I have a bit of an affection for all things AC Schnitzer I got to work with some improvements / modifications.

First thing to be changed was the steering wheel. The original was an old style one that I did not like:
002 - Original Steering Wheel - Jun17.jpg
So I managed to source a E36 M3 tri-colour stitched wheel in good condition. When it arrived I gave it a good clean with warm water, then a leather shampoo clean with a soft toothbrush, left it to dry in the garage for a day and then a couple of goes with a leather conditioner. In the end the leather came up excellent, no longer shiny but soft and with a matt finish.
I also removed the 2 side tabs next to the airbag, sanded them down and attached some red leather to match the interior. Ever since I saw this colour combination in an E36 M3 Evo GT2 I wanted one, and loved the way it looked, so I gave it a go and thought the finished looked good :)
003 - Steering Wheel 1 - Jun17.jpg 004 - Steering Wheel 2 - Jun17.jpg

Next on the agenda were roll hoops. I managed to source a full set with all the fittings for £250. So as soon as they arrived and I got home from work I decided that I was going to do it in 2 stages - first strip out the old plastic trim and clean up what I found underneath and then fit the set in following day after work. Well, I got carried away and did it all in one evening (it was dark when I finished, so no photos then).
The kit was surprisingly easy to install without instructions or any guides, and luckily the breakers yard had included all the correct screws!!
005 - Roll Hoops - Jun17.jpg

Next, was the wheels and brakes. Now the original brakes didn't need replacing, as they had a lot of mileage left in them, but they were rubbish. The front discs were solid and not vented (286mm diameter and 12mm think) and the stopping power was a little underwhelming to say the least.
So I sourced some front calipers and carriers from a Z3 3.0 for £30 each. As these are the biggest ones that would fit without other modifications, and would allow discs up to 300mm diameter and 22mm thick.
Ordered some MTEC front and rear drilled and grooved vented discs and some EBC Ultimate Pads.
Installing the new calipers was a simple swap over process.
Prior to the swap, I cleaned up the new calipers and painted them red to match the colour theme with the rest of the car.
Whilst I had the discs off I also installed new handbrake shoes on the rear, as the originals were very very worn and one side didn't even work!
Whilst the wheels were off, it gave me a good excuse to fit my AC Schnitzer Type 2 non-racing 18" wheels I had stored in my loft :D:D
So I got the wheel wrapped in some new rubber - 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear, for when it all went back together.
Quite happy with the end result:
008 -  ACS Wheels & Brakes - Jun17.jpg

Now as they have been in storage since I sold my E46 (about 5 years ago) they could do with a refurb. So I will be getting them powdercoated at the end of this summer, and when I finally get the E70 X5 back from a full engine rebuild :grumpy::arghh:
For now thou they will do for the rest of the summer and my trip down to Cornwall:
009 - Interior Jul17.jpg 010 - As of Jul17.jpg 011 - As of Jun17 - Cornwall.jpg

After the holiday, I managed to source a full electric hood with hydraulics, switch and mounting brackets. So a couple of weeks ago I stripped out most of the seats, interior trim, roll hops, boot trip, removed the entire roof and got to work.
Was great fun and and the poor Zed looked very sorry for herself. After fitting all the new parts, getting the hydraulic pump brackets welded in, fitting the new roof, refitting all the trim and seats it was a long weekend, but worth it. I enjoyed doing the work and really found out about how the car goes together.
Sorry no pics, as all there is really to look at is a new switch on the dash board!

On Monday my new (but used) gear knob and pedals arrived, and got them installed after work :D
012 - AC Schnitzer Gear Knob - Jul17.jpg 013 - AC Schnitzer Pedals - Jul17.jpg

As a result of these changes I have some bits for sale if anyone is interested in them - https://zroadster.org/threads/z3-wheels-bits.19244/

That all for now, but I am waiting for a couple of other bits to arrive :whistle::whistle:

Last edited:

jamie_z4

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
z4 3.0i SE
that looks a lovely example love the style 2 non racings

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Looks whats just turned up in the post today :D

014 - M3 Mirror 1.JPG 015 - M3 Mirror 2.JPG 016 - M3 Mirror 3.JPG

An E46 M3 rear view mirror, how did that happen!! =))

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
What a great thread :p
Good to read ;)
Well done :)

PHILIP BAXTER

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Roadster
Great thread. Keep up the good work, and keep us updated. :thumbsup:

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Great work @Jjim - some nice features added - and the ACS alloys suit the Zed!:cool:

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Thanks for all the positive feedback :thumbsup:

Stopped in a scrappy after work and picked up the trim for the rear view mirror and managed to get the male connection block to connect it up, along with the rubber flex for £5. :D

IMG_9298.JPG IMG_9296.JPG

Hopefully get some time this weekend to get it all wired up. Planning on drawing power from either the cigarette lighter or stereo. Only bit I'm not sure on is the reverse power feed (so auto dim turns off when you put it into reverse). Not sure where this cable is, any info would be welcomed.

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Test fitted the mirror, was going to continue with the full wire up but got put on hold as the exhaust Cat decided to crumble and block up the pipe!! Car had no power and felt like an asthmatic trying to do a marathon :hungover:
I'm off on the cruise at the Lakes this weekend so had to get it sorted.
So for now only have a couple of fitted pics but no wiring yet. Hopefully get this done next week.

Original mirror
IMG_9335.JPG

M3 mirror
IMG_9353.JPG

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Also was looking for some spare parts and ended up with.....

IMG_9359.JPG

Another one!!!

They're multiplying :whistle:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Also was looking for some spare parts and ended up with.....

View attachment 62872

Another one!!!

They're multiplying :whistle:
They are addictive Jim, beware ................... Hope you enjoy the Lakes with Andy.:thumbsup:

Tony.

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
So another parcel arrived today :):whistle:

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg

Only wanted the handbrake handle, but had to buy them as a set.

This will be fitted tonight, and I now have another AC Schnitzer Gear Knob for sale!

Also need to wire in the rear view mirror. I was going to get this done this weekend, but working all day Saturday and then off to ZedFest on Sunday, so maybe a evening or 2 next week.

If anyone is interested in the Gear Knob it's £30 and can collect from me at ZedFest

Attachments

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Fitted the AC Schnitzer handbrake handle.
Before
IMG_9687.JPG

After
IMG_9688.JPG

I know have the set; handbrake, gear knob and pedals :D

Also fitted the heater rings I got from Spurs Fan
IMG_9691.JPG IMG_9692.JPG

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
They are addictive Jim, beware ................... Hope you enjoy the Lakes with Andy.:thumbsup:

Tony.
Ohhh dear they're multiplying!!!

IMG_9718.JPG

Run out of room! Misses is not happy she can't even get close to the drive to park her car :whistle:=))

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Safe to say, you've been bitten mate :thumbsup: Could've been a 2.8 there if Lazzydog hadn't bought it?:)

Tony.

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Was considering it this morning, but the misses really would have kicked me out lol.
Once I've made some room I'll probably look for replacements lol