Jack Smith Trimmers Swansea

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
@Jack Ratt put me onto these people in Swansea for hood replacement, the MX5 gang go mad for him, he makes his own hoods I phoned thios morning and £300 fitted for the Z3:eek: now he was careful to stress its not OEM and he makes them himself but looking at the pics on the MX5 forum the results look good and no negative reviews and there is a three month waiting time, so he is busy, but cant find any Z3 reviews for them.

Has any of our members from Welsh Wales heard anything of them or had a hood?

Cheers
N

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
Niall, I have considered this guy when I was looking for a replacement on my earlier Z3. All reports are that his work is very good. The forums are full of praise for the guy. Just don't be concerned as he operates out of a garage down a back street. Probably why he has a good price for the replacement. It is recommended by the MX5 guys that you drop your car off and stay in a hotel in Swansea so as not to rush the job.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
He will do burgundy / red but he is not keen as it disclours too quick in his opinion he advises black, could be the quality of the mohair??

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I've only heard good things, and having a waiting list certainly seems to back that up. I think the rear windows are stitched in on these though, which means you have to go back to him or replace if the screen gets damaged. Otherwise for £300 I'd be tempted to get on the waiting list for my 2.2i.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
As above, he was the go to guy when i had my mx5 (it had a new roof already so didnt need one)

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
I've only read good things about him (mainly when I was researching on Facebook). I called him regarding my roof and had a lengthy conversation with him and I got a seriously good vibe about him and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Add that to the fact that the cheapest alternative I found was over £700 and the cheapest rear window replacement I could find was £300 it means you could just replace the roof if you had a fault with the rear window and it would cost the same!

England has a glorious tradition of very talented 'men in sheds' and hopefully this guy is one of them.

PHILIP BAXTER

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Roadster
I've only read good things about him (mainly when I was researching on Facebook). I called him regarding my roof and had a lengthy conversation with him and I got a seriously good vibe about him and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Add that to the fact that the cheapest alternative I found was over £700 and the cheapest rear window replacement I could find was £300 it means you could just replace the roof if you had a fault with the rear window and it would cost the same!

England has a glorious tradition of very talented 'men in sheds' and hopefully this guy is one of them.
So has Wales....

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
I will be after one for mine soon, previously used the guy in Croydon but I believe his price has gone up to £395 so was going to give Jack Smith a go. Called him a couple of times the other day but there was no answer, must have been busy. Nice to know he does a red roof as I'm tempted to go red this time instead of blue. Best get it booked in if hes got a 3 month waiting list, but not in any rush as the hardtop is going on soon.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
A navy roof looks really good on a silver Z too...
I'd stay away from black, a colored roof really makes a silver car stand out like your M. You'd just need to sort the seats to match..

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
mine has a roof from him.... i have a receipt here for £280 its blue, theres no lining but the roof looks very good, It was on the car when i bought the car... it has a non removable rear window, whereas i believe the original has zipped in window... i get some pics up in a minute of it...

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Ohhhhhh,

only other thing i would say... is that i have a beige rear carpet in mine, and i did remove mine a few weeks ago to give it a good clean there was quite a lot of black sticky gunk on the carpet, now i am only assuming that this may have got on there from the roof being fitted, it has come off but took a lot of cleaning with turps and jet washing, its fine now.. so it may be good idea to maybe take this out before you take it to him especially if you have a light colour rear carpet, but in saying that it maybe that he has got better on fitting them now... just thought i would mention this, or take it up with him before you take it for fitting...

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
Have you treated the roof with something to make it repel the water like that?

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
I've heard good things about this guys work. I wonder if he would make a new roof with a zipped in rear window instead, that will solve a lot of future headaches.

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
I wonder if a few got together @Lee he might indeed get a zipped in rear window version.