IN THE UK..............NOW BIG BROTHER IS REALLY WATCHING YOU....

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
And who they chat to Frankie, Frankie ..................... Frankie ....................................................

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I was going to be inventive there Mike and call you a T**t in Welsh, but google translate tells me the Welsh for T**T is simply T**T

Gutted.

Tony.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I think you would all be surprised as to how much about you is already tracked. Not so much by the government, but by companies (big and small)...

People like Apple, Google, Facebook and so on. They all collect data on you, and the best thing is that you sign up and agree to them doing it. The government has to ask permission from the courts. These big companies know more about you than the government do, and are relatively unregulated on what they can do with it.

That's way more scary...

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Looks like I'm turning my VPN service back on. It's my right to have my privacy!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
It is very much your right to privacy, but like most won't read the terms of service to everything you sign up to. One of the reasons I won't be signing up to the new Drive Tribe gimmick from Clarkson. You have to sign up through Facebook, which then gives them permission to see what you are up to, and also pass it on as they wish.

For example, from their Privacy statement - which you agree to by signing up. Most internet services use similar wording in theirs.

1.2.2. Our Service may also collect information which you make available to us and which is stored on your device, or your Facebook or other social media or similar profiles, including contact information, images, location, video or other digital content (“Content Information”). Details of the information we collect from your Facebook or social media account will be notified to you when you first grant us permission to access your account.
and...

3.2. We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006.

3.3. We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
All that said, you can only protect yourself from this point onwards, what has already been "agreed to" and harvested is already done!

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
It is very much your right to privacy, but like most won't read the terms of service to everything you sign up to. One of the reasons I won't be signing up to the new Drive Tribe gimmick from Clarkson. You have to sign up through Facebook, which then gives them permission to see what you are up to, and also pass it on as they wish.

For example, from their Privacy statement - which you agree to by signing up. Most internet services use similar wording in theirs.

and...

All that said, you can only protect yourself from this point onwards, what has already been "agreed to" and harvested is already done!
That's pretty bad! I'm in the same boat. I don't use Facebook so wont be signing up for it.

Mac Romans

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
My s***'s custom!
It's an interesting debate. As an investigator I have used computers (*) to locate true monsters who have been involved in things that muggles are lucky enough to never have to understand. In doing so further atrocities have no doubt been prevented.

The question is: are we willing to trade off an element of privacy in return for security?

When someone sets a bomb off at a tube station, flies planes into buildings or exposes young kids to the worst of humanity and shares the experience with others online, the question is always the same...."why wasn't it prevented?" The answer is simple...."because you wouldn't let it be prevented."

*let loose the captive boffins in the basement.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
It's all down to their intent really. Nothing to say they will actually sell your data onward. May not be in their plans to right now, but what happens when the company who owns it decides to sell the business on for a profit.

DriveTribe is free to access now, but is basically a cash cow for selling targeted advertising. To target those adverts they need access to your data.

Mac Romans

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
My s***'s custom!
The rediculous thing is that companies and corporations have free reign on their data. The police have to make an application under RIPA endorsed by a Superintendent (which is bloody hard to get) to access the most basic stuff (IP addresses, phone subscriber details etc). It can all be obtained but it's not easy.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
That's my biggest gripe with the whole storing our information, It's only a matter of time before its A) hacked or B) sold onto a 3rd party

There's goes your banking details and god knows what else.

The way I look at it, would you feel happy having a camera sat in your living room recording your every movement and conversation....

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Seems like some of George Orwell's predictions from 1984 are becoming reality...

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
When it comes to the govt and police force there is a fine line between gathering too much information and too little, and it's right that it's regulated strictly (frustratingly so in certain cases).

There probably is an implied right to privacy on the internet, but don't forget that you read and acknowledge the terms and conditions of your internet service provider before doing so. Bet few have ever read that... Every service or website you then access will have it's own terms and conditions (or likely does) for accessing it's service.

So actually it's not like the internet is free of restrictions or gives you a right any specific rights of privacy.

It's only a matter of time before its A) hacked
Look at some of the big services which have been hacked. Yahoo got hacked and the account details of 500 million (yes MILLION) were breached. The largest by far, but companies like Talk Talk have been breached too.

or B) sold onto a 3rd party
...probably has, and you won't likely ever know who has what of the information you have chosen (and by using any internet service you have chosen) already has been sold.

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
I've always assumed anything I do on the internet maybe hasn't been private.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
HMG Security and Intelligence Services have known more about me, my immediate and extended family than I ever will. That's a price worth paying to enable these people to keep tabs on the loons out there that wish us harm. As for the tinterweb, sadly, just gonna have to take it on the chin :(

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I found out back in the eighties how easy it was for employers to get info on employees when I went through arbitration to keep my job. My employer put forth info about all my family members friends and neighbours in their efforts to convince the arbitrator I was the bad guy. He saw right through them and I won that case and two other attempts by just telling the truth. JIM