Ignition switch problems

Thesaintz3

Literally picked up 98 1.9 4 cyl today parked it at the house. Came back out started it, key would not move in ignition, eventually it moved to the middle position however would not move form that. I have disconnected the battery as the injectiors were priming. The steering lock is off. Any ideas? appreciate the help, I’m getting a bashing from her indoors on the first day of arrival. Pretty gutted. Thanks

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Have had different variations of ignition problems with spinning lock and jammed wheel - the latter responds to rocking the wheel.
You need to get the cylinder out to check for wear - this may give you an idea of what is required
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_FmnsEoHsE

You could try taking switch off from the lower barrel and twisting the central spindle to see if it moves - fairly quick job.

Thesaintz3

By way of update, the barrel is now spinning freely but the pin that locks into the red circle switch at the back doesn’t engage, the steering lock is on and I can turn engine over using a screwdriver on the circular switch to the lhs of the barrel.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You will need to replace the ignition barrel by the sounds of things. You should be able to keep all but the barrel .

Tony.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Literally picked up 98 1.9 4 cyl today parked it at the house. Came back out started it, key would not move in ignition, eventually it moved to the middle position however would not move form that. I have disconnected the battery as the injectiors were priming. The steering lock is off. Any ideas? appreciate the help, I’m getting a bashing from her indoors on the first day of arrival. Pretty gutted. Thanks
Sounds like the ignition barrel has gone to me.

Last edited:

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
It’s a 22 years old Z. Age related problems are to be expected as we all know who own these beautiful icons of the road will tell you. Don’t despair: all will be fine. Just expect age related items will fail because these beauties simply need a little TLC to keep them there ready for us to enjoy. There aren’t many other cars, if at all, that are aging so gracefully and an ignition barrel has had 22 years of wear so done a grand job. You can get a secondhand one and it’s relatively easy to swop.