I THINK I NEED HELP

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Ok hopefully I will get the tickets and hotel sorted out in the next few days so I will let you know and we can sort out the finer details nearer the time.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
and you get the chance to have a ride in an ///M. :ymdevil:
AcemanThat alone is all that needed to be said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm your man. Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, Is this a definite thing? And should I purchase a separate ticket for Sunday? If its a go with you, Let me know how much you need. I can send it pay-pal if possible.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I will only be doing the Friday and Saturday rather than the full 3 days as I found it exhausting enough doing just the 2 days last year. So if you want to do the Sunday someone else might provide a similar offer or yes you can purchase a ticket for Sunday to be sure then either try and thumb a lift in with another zeder or drive in yourself and park up in the public car park. Saturday is the main day when most of the activity is going off and the chance to go around the circuit on the parade lap which is going to be a world record attempt for the most BMW's on track. Friday last year was good as it was a lot quieter and more relaxed so you can get your bearings and find out what to see on the main day.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
I will only be doing the Friday and Saturday rather than the full 3 days as I found it exhausting enough doing just the 2 days last year. So if you want to do the Sunday someone else might provide a similar offer or yes you can purchase a ticket for Sunday to be sure then either try and thumb a lift in with another zeder or drive in yourself and park up in the public car park. Saturday is the main day when most of the activity is going off and the chance to go around the circuit on the parade lap which is going to be a world record attempt for the most BMW's on track. Friday last year was good as it was a lot quieter and more relaxed so you can get your bearings and find out what to see on the main day.
Perhaps it might be just as well for me to do the same thing. After 2 days, I might have had my fill of it. I could stay over night at the Holiday Inn and on Sunday maybe meet with some of the other members of the forum who didn't go to Silverstone but might want to get together for a drink or dinner or whatever. It might be closer to the airport and I wouldn't have to travel too far on the last day. Depending on my arrangements, I could fly out late that night or early Monday morning. If no one can do anything on Sunday, I could always go sightseeing or something. Frankie

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Ok hopefully I will get the tickets and hotel sorted out in the next few days so I will let you know and we can sort out the finer details nearer the time.
Am I correct in assuming that I will book my own hotel room? I was about to do this but thought it best if I checked with you first. And if I do book it myself, was there something I should say with regard to our club? I thought someone mentioned this earlier. I thought it would be easier to ask you now rather than to go through all the posts to find an answer that might not exist. Thanks again, Frankie

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Just had a quick look and Heathrow for example is 75ish miles from Silverstone. Luton airport is about 50 miles (not sure if that's useful or not).

I honestly have no idea about public transport. Haven't used it for at least 20 years, but I'm guessing there would be either bus or train connections from any airport to somewhere closer! I'm betting a rental car would be best of you want to spend a few days and visit the area properly.

The Silverstone Classic is a general event of which the BMW element is relatively small against the whole weekend. There will be a lot of different makes of car there on display too (including classics). You can come in anything with wheels and park up in the general car parks. You then have complete freedom of the event, to mingle, watch the live racing etc!
I think I'll take your advice and rent a car. Perhaps there is a web site that can prep me for driving in England. Being older and having driven a car for such a long time has its plus and minus points. I have a lot of experience but have formed many driving habits that no longer require thinking. If these accidently take over while driving, I could make the wrong move at the wrong time. I'd like to hear from other forum members on how they found driving on the continent or the US. How long did it take them to adjust? Maybe there isn't any adjustment time. Just do or die.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
I think I'll take your advice and rent a car. Perhaps there is a web site that can prep me for driving in England. Being older and having driven a car for such a long time has its plus and minus points. I have a lot of experience but have formed many driving habits that no longer require thinking. If these accidently take over while driving, I could make the wrong move at the wrong time. I'd like to hear from other forum members on how they found driving on the continent or the US. How long did it take them to adjust? Maybe there isn't any adjustment time. Just do or die.
I have drove in Europe for the last 4 years and i actually find it easier than in England. Put a flat cap on rent a Volvo and you can pootle about and every one will know not over here to give a wide berth :ymdevil:

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Am I correct in assuming that I will book my own hotel room? I was about to do this but thought it best if I checked with you first. And if I do book it myself, was there something I should say with regard to our club? I thought someone mentioned this earlier. I thought it would be easier to ask you now rather than to go through all the posts to find an answer that might not exist. Thanks again, Frankie
Yes best to book your own room as no offence but it might be a bit cosy sharing a room as well. =))

If you use this link it appears to be booking using a club discount, you just need to put the dates in for the nights you are staying.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/northampton/ormgp/hoteldetail?groupCode=BMW

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I have merged all the potential travel information posts from the Silverstone thread, to this one so it's all kept in one place for you @FRANKIE. Will save you looking in two separate threads ;)

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
I have drove in Europe for the last 4 years and i actually find it easier than in England. Put a flat cap on rent a Volvo and you can pootle about and every one will know not over here to give a wide berth :ymdevil:
How about if I just bring my motorcycle helmet. That'll really scare them.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Yes best to book your own room as no offence but it might be a bit cosy sharing a room as well. =))

If you use this link it appears to be booking using a club discount, you just need to put the dates in for the nights you are staying.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/northampton/ormgp/hoteldetail?groupCode=BMW

Wouldn't want to start everyone talking...............
I'll book everything Thursday after I get home at about 1PM. I'll use the link you gave me. Frankie.

Z

zedonist

Hi Frankie,

I am currently looking at booking the Friday and Saturday for silverstone and as part of the club package I would get a passenger ticket thrown in if I purchased a ticket for myself on both days. Also included is a pass into the centre of the circuit allowing me to park up on the BMW club site. It is upto you whether it would suite your arrangements but it would obviously give you an option to join us all without the hassle and expense of sorting out your own ticket and you get the chance to have a ride in an ///M. :ymdevil:
Aceman what is the club package?

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Using the code C14081 you get 2 adult show passes and also an infield car pass allowing you to park on the BMWCC stand in the heart of the action.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Perhaps it might be just as well for me to do the same thing. After 2 days, I might have had my fill of it. I could stay over night at the Holiday Inn and on Sunday maybe meet with some of the other members of the forum who didn't go to Silverstone but might want to get together for a drink or dinner or whatever. It might be closer to the airport and I wouldn't have to travel too far on the last day. Depending on my arrangements, I could fly out late that night or early Monday morning. If no one can do anything on Sunday, I could always go sightseeing or something. Frankie
We are not far away and could meet up for Dinner on the Saturday night at the Hotel or on the Sunday, Frankie, or you could arrange Sunday to go to Duxford instead of before Silverstone, will keep an eye on what you are planning!!!

Mike & Sandy

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
We are not far away and could meet up for Dinner on the Saturday night at the Hotel or on the Sunday, Frankie, or you could arrange Sunday to go to Duxford instead of before Silverstone, will keep an eye on what you are planning!!!

Mike & Sandy
I'd like that very much. I'm trying to put things together and I don't have all the parts yet. I will get back with you on this and look for your advice. Frankie. Right now I'm going to book the Holiday Inn.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3

Mike & Sandy
Mike, I haven't forgotten about you. I'm about to book my flight now. I think I'll fly out of Philly on Monday afternoon to London. My flight back will be the Monday morning after Silverstone. Sunday for Duxford and then Dinner with you guys sounds great. Perhaps other members would like to join us. I'm getting excited for it already. I don't know what I could be doing on Wed. and Thurs. I have booked a room at the Holiday Inn starting Thurs night because Aceman said we would be busy starting Friday morning at Silverstone. So this leaves Wed and most of the day Thurs. to see what there is to see and possibly meet up with other members from a different area. Perhaps the East Anglian Boys or whomever. Most of what I will do will be on the recommendations of the members like yourself since all of you know better that I do what should be seen and what to stay away from. I just got a feeling I'm going have a really great time over there. Frankie.

Last edited:

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
We could book dinner on Sunday at the 'John Barleycorn' Pub in Duxford for between 6 & 7pm, meeting up about 5ish for drinks, after your visit to the airfield.. There is a lot to see there Frankie, it will take up all of your day. It is a very quaint English Village pub, the local watering hole for some of Britain's air aces of WW11 including Douglas Bader. Towards the end of the 'Battle of Britain', Douglas Bader's 'Big Wing' flew from Duxford Airfield Many of the Pilates that flew with him stayed and drank at this pub! If you wanted to stay the night there, you should be able to book a room.

Mike & Sandy

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
We could book dinner on Sunday at the 'John Barleycorn' Pub in Duxford for between 6 & 7pm, meeting up about 5ish for drinks, after your visit to the airfield.. There is a lot to see there Frankie, it will take up all of your day. It is a very quaint English Village pub, the local watering hole for some of Britain's air aces of WW11 including Douglas Bader. Towards the end of the 'Battle of Britain', Douglas Bader's 'Big Wing' flew from Duxford Airfield Many of the Pilates that flew with him stayed and drank at this pub! If you wanted to stay the night there, you should be able to book a room.

Mike & Sandy
Booked sun night at the Holiday inn but not written in stone.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Would be a good move, Frankie, as it's straight down the M11 at Duxford to London M25 and Heathrow Airport.

M & S