Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
What i used was.
12v Drill Driver from BnQ £20 Cheapest they had
MR16 50w Bulb
MR16 Bulb Holder. I could only locate these on line
Cut the cables to the Motor and remove.
20160723_184024.jpg

Connect the MR16 Bulb Holder to the cut wires. I recommend soldering these but there is enough room to use connector blocks.
20160723_193037.jpg

I had to cut a couple of bits of plastic to hold the Bulb in place. Notice the little bits of yellow plastic This can be a bit fiddly but it does secure the bulb.
Reassemble and thats it all done. Took me about 15 minutes
I must say all credits go to Russell O
The finished item
20160723_194920.jpg

20160723_194928.jpg

20160723_195015.jpg

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Nice one Bill, thanks.:thumbsup:

Tony.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
What does that do then?

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
If you think your car has no swirls then shine this on and you will be amazed at what it shows up. Ideal for when you are doing any sort of paint correction using a machine polisher as it tells you if you have cut enough to remove the swirls.
But only cut if you are sure you have enough depth of paint otherwise you can cause serious problems.

Last edited:

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
This is the sort of things it shows up. The camera remained in the same position all i did was to switch the light on
20160723_212233.jpg

You can now notice the faint scratches
20160723_212235.jpg

I get this all the time when it is dull the Zed looks really good but as soon as the sun comes out you can see the extent of the scratches and swirls

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
What a great idea :p
Another gadget for the men ;)

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
It's a very innovative idea although Russ's bulb had gone in his when he first showed me - much like the tea =)). The handle makes it much easier to hold compared to a tradition torch too. Got to watch you don't get too close and accidentally ding you paint. Maybe some foam or similar around the exposed edges.
Would an LED MR16 bulb give you much longer working time as well as reduction in heat?

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
To be honest Redline every time i have looked into actually buying one of these and looking for information on them, people always recommend Halogen Lights, so i am not sure if it is the way the Bulbs light up as Led ones even though they are rated at the same wattage do not seem to give the same intensity of light. Could be wrong but thats what information i have found so far. Now i have one i may try Led to prove or disprove this

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
To be honest Redline every time i have looked into actually buying one of these and looking for information on them, people always recommend Halogen Lights, so i am not sure if it is the way the Bulbs light up as Led ones even though they are rated at the same wattage do not seem to give the same intensity of light. Could be wrong but thats what information i have found so far. Now i have one i may try Led to prove or disprove this
It's probably because halogens are effectively on all the time whereas LEDs are cycled on and off many times a second (to reduce power consumption and heat generation). I replaced all our household halogens a few years ago. The LEDs give a much crisper and instantaneous light. Am guessing you only need. 20-25W bulb for this. The beam angle is something to watch for too. Most are wide but you can get narrow angle bulbs too.
I see some testing being done to find the best solution for this.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
This is turning into an instructional thread so thanks. Gonna have to buy myself a lot of cool stuff now, just have to learn how to use it which is why I hope someone will video Russ' workshop! JIM

Russell O

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 Sport
Brilliant Bill and a great right up too.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Must have had mine 5 years now after my 3M Sungun broke and they wanted near on £600 to replace..=))=))=))

No way.
This shows the swirls just as good and all for £20. Think the bulb on a sungun is about £50.
No brainer really..

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Brilliant Bill and a great right up too.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Must have had mine 5 years now after my 3M Sungun broke and they wanted near on £600 to replace..=))=))=))

No way.
This shows the swirls just as good and all for £20. Think the bulb on a sungun is about £50.
No brainer really..
It is even cheaper than the ones selling on ebay at £55. Hardest part now is sourcing the MR16 bulb holders. Are you going to the Shepshed meet ?

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Yes mate. The big one.
Taking my kit incase anyone got scratches or problem with paint.:thumbsup:
I will leave polishing mine till then =))