How long have you had your zed?

JTM

Hello folks.
New member here, though not a new zed owner. I bought the zed new in Jun 2002 for Mrs JTM. She stopped driving it after a few years but we couldn't part with it. It is now my daily driver. Though not being driven much lately, even before lockdown, I would probably do a couple of thousand miles a year. Currently has 78k on the clock

Despite the light use, it is starting to show its age. Rusty sills and soft top stitching needing most urgent attention.

Lesser issues being heated seats not working, and recent flood in the boot causing the tilt sensor to corrode and need replacing, and cam position sensor failing.

Anyway, how long have you had your zed? Does it beat 18 years

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
:welcome: to the forum from West Cumbria. 5 years so miles off.

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Had the Z4 for 3 years (17 years old 4 owners) previously had Z3 for 6 years

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Z3 and then Z4 over last 11 years. @ktnez99 has had her 2.8 from new it’s a ‘99 car.

Tony.

Last edited:

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
10 years owned - 23 years old next month.

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Hi and :welcome: I have had my Z for 12 years, currently 148K on the clock.

JTM

The Zed 3 is a keeper and has grown into its looks. What once looked a bit half hearted retro has become vintage and with more character than just about any BMW in the last 25 years.

Not sure if it's despite or because of its quirkiness that like it so much.

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
Hi and welcome from me in Oxfordshire. I’ve had mine 12 years in February. Shell has had 90,000 miles on it, engine rebuilt and only had I recall 6000 miles on it, and halfway through a undercarriage refurb. Will be like a nearly new car come spring but been saying that for a while:rolleyes:

DOCJACOB

Complete newbie, few months only but still has potential for big smiles! Even more now has a numberplate pertinent to my retirement from GP

3rd owner 20 years old and 23k on clock with FSH.

JTM

23k?! That was a good find.

DOCJACOB

Absolutely was. First owner lady in Sheffield 18 years and 12k, next owner 2 years and the balance.

As original as original can be. Appears I don’t have photo of the girl with her new I/D How bad is that!

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Z3 for eight years and the Z4 for just over 1 year, Z3 currently on SORN this year whilst I play with the Z4 getting up to the same condition as the Z3. Z3 has under 40k miles on it, low for a 1999 car, the Z4 has 93k on it but you wouldn't know it. Just a few jobs needed doing on it so far, cam cover gasket replaced due to oil leak which I knew about when I bought it so no big drama. All the fluids changed so I know whats in there. Put a set of 17inch refurbed wheels on and fitted Black BMW badges front and back and wheel centres, still have the blue ones on the side indicator lamps. Fitted a usb socket with voltmeter in it on the dash, handy fotr |Satnav and monitoring battery condition and alternator output. Only saga I had was getting a second key for it, ebay blank cut by a local locksmith and then attempted to code it with AK90 coding machine, could not get it to code a cranking key using that, resported to getting a mobile locksmith to do it using a far more superior coding machine and reading the eeprom chip on the EWS module board. Result was a working key, why the AK90 failed to do it is a mystery as others have success using the kit.
First MOT in my ownership had one advisory rear nearside brake pipe corroded so that will be the next job, probably going to replace both rear sides with stainless braided hoses.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Bought my first Z3 in 1998 (car was one year old). Had one ever since (4 all up); current one since May 2017.

PHILIP BAXTER

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Roadster
Hi, and welcome from me in Cardiff. 5 years for me, but I couldn't imagine not having it now. :welcome:

JTM

I had the cam cover gasket leak and the corroded brake pipe too. All common problems I think, along with rusty sills, perished arial grommet and associated flooded boot, hand brake seizing etc.etc.

To be expected for its age though, and what it costs to fix is less than depreciation on a newer car.

Matkat

Dedicated Member
Supporter
23 years old. We have owned it 9 years. 100k miles on clock we have done approx 10k miles in it. 😖