How good are used airbag sensors?

TheBoatDude

American Zeds
Model of Z
Right, then...

Airbag light has been on since I got the car in Feb. I originally pulled four codes for airbags, 2 left, 2 right. I got the rights cleared with Deoxy. The left codes are redundant (2 ea that are 16, side impact sensor). I pulled the drivers seat and gave the sensor and plug the Deoxy treatment but the code won’t clear, so I’m assuming the sensor is bad (see pic- the tab broke off when I was removing the plug, so now it’s held in with zip ties). New sensors are [gulp] about $180 to $200 but I see used sensors. Is it worth the gamble to go with used? Or is the cost of new just the cost of owning an aging German car?

Thanks!

F6D7D844-9F94-41B6-8C34-FABF5AF01913.jpeg

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Just my view of course but the air bag may save your life, I'd go new personally. Outside of tyres and brakes, the rest is just stuff.

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Depends how much you enjoy head-butting steering wheels. Tried it once many years ago, didn't enjoy it. Like @andyglym said, it just might save your life. And a couple of hundred dollars over twenty years adds up to ten a year. Cheap enough. There's people on here spend a lot more than that on shiny things.:rolleyes:

TheBoatDude

American Zeds
Model of Z
Thanks, everyone.. that’s what I thought, but I’ve seen a few threads where folks were not against it, so wanted to make sure I had good calibration,,

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
The only thing I'd say is if someone hasn't got the budget for a new one then it's better to have a working second-hand one than a non-working part on the car.

Be aware these things usually give out when they have been subjected to damp as they live under the carpet. You haven't mentioned that but I do see a little corrosion. If you are going to the exepense of a new part (well regardless) I would ensure the cabin is watertight.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Does it actually ever rain in California? I heard in the south at least it never rains - well until it pours.

TheBoatDude

American Zeds
Model of Z
Does it actually ever rain in California? I heard in the south at least it never rains - well until it pours.
Oh, it does. Sadly the past three years of this cars life it was parked outside...oddly, no signs of mildew. She has a garage, now...