• Total voters

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
There was a time when I did all my own car repairs and servicing, sometimes with the help from friends and guidance from our good old Haynes manuals.

I haven't serviced my own car for the best part of 10yrs and have used local small garages.

However, since I've been contributing here, I've been encouraged and motivated by the infectious enthusiasm and I've got me spanners out of hibernation and have done a few jobs on my Zed and I've enjoyed doing it too.

I haven't needed to do anything major because happily, my car runs like a watch. I've fitted OEM roll bars, changed the front wish bones, drop links and anti roll bar bushes and fitted a replacement cat back exhaust system. I'm currently refurbishing some sports seats that I got from Steve @Low Rider and I have a few more little up dates in the pipeline for the future.

My Zed is due for an oil service now, and I've decided I'm going to do it myself before we embark on the Euro run in a months time.

How many of us do our own servicing?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
There was a time when I did all my own car repairs and servicing, sometimes with the help from friends and guidance from our good old Haynes manuals.

I haven't serviced my own car for the best part of 10yrs and have used local small garages.

However, since I've been contributing here, I've been encouraged and motivated by the infectious enthusiasm and I've got me spanners out of hibernation and have done a few jobs on my Zed and I've enjoyed doing it too.

I haven't needed to do anything major because happily, my car runs like a watch. I've fitted OEM roll bars, changed the front wish bones, drop links and anti roll bar bushes and fitted a replacement cat back exhaust system. I'm currently refurbishing some sports seats that I got from Steve @Low Rider and I have a few more little up dates in the pipeline for the future.

My Zed is due for an oil service now, and I've decided I'm going to do it myself before we embark on the Euro run in a months time.

Garage at the mo but with a few small bits done by me. Stuff on here is broadening my knowledge so will do more and my son is on a 3 year motor mechanic course so it'll be even more home stuff soon.

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
i always do my own servicing and repairs, not because i like doing it, its just im tight fisted, i was changind some brake pads a while back on sallys car and the chap next door came out and seeing what i was doing he inquired how difficult it was and how much it had cost me, i told him, he looked shocked and said b***********s, cost me near 300 last week for mine (he prob had the discs skimmed for that kind of money, or replaced).

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Always have the Garage Service it so i can keep my Service History upto date, but i will do things like the brakes

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I have mine serviced by my local indie, i like to see a stamp in thr service book. However I love to tinker but my knowledge is limited, I have some fantastic mates on here who have offered their help when jobs are beyond my capabilities.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Mainly do my own as a retirement hobby as it was good to get back on the `tools' after so many years.
I do have a good indie available if it's too awkward e.g. gearbox transmission fluid change (too much huffing and puffing on axle stands).

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
I still do it for a living :( so it's diy all the way from me .:thumbsup: But I do have the advantage of being able to use my work the right equipment can make a huge difference to what you would take on.

stevov

Do all my own work but then again I do own a garage so no excuses

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds

I'm sure looking forward to seeing your seats Gary.

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
Unfortunately I've never had the courage to really do anything beyond changing wiper blades on a car! I would love to though but I think I could do with someone looking over my shoulder that at least has a clue!

Thankfully at the moment I know a man that is very well respected in the area and has done all the work on my car so far.

Just to elaborate on this that includes:
Rear shocks + top mounts + original springs
Subframe bushes
Track control arm bushes
All belts and tensioners
Balance and fit new wheels + alignment
Major service
Now it looks like this......
Z.jpg

Last edited:

Dickymint

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I have a disability so it may take 100x longer to do stuff than most people but I like to do things myself if I can as I'm the only one I trust, I have been doing my own jobs for 30years and when I have let a garage do work in the past its often turned into a horror story and its not just a money thing either as I have often spent more on the tools to do a job than the cost of a indy doing the job also I like to clean and polish and repaint ect as I go so like when I did my new disks I ordered the nice ones I wanted and the pads I like and also the shoes then all the little bits and bobs that go with them then striped everything down and used a powered wire brush to clean everything then rust treat and paint callipers and backing plates and even suspension parts or anything I could reach also I'm able to make sure everything is lubed properly and with the right grease ect not saying a garage would not do a good job but would they clean the little washers and spring that hold in the brake shoes then treat and paint them?
No of course not because to most people it would not matter and it would not be worth it for them to do it but its the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night :eek:
yes i'm sad....... but my car is also my hobby ;)

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
I have a disability so it may take 100x longer to do stuff than most people but I like to do things myself if I can as I'm the only one I trust, I have been doing my own jobs for 30years and when I have let a garage do work in the past its often turned into a horror story and its not just a money thing either as I have often spent more on the tools to do a job than the cost of a indy doing the job also I like to clean and polish and repaint ect as I go so like when I did my new disks I ordered the nice ones I wanted and the pads I like and also the shoes then all the little bits and bobs that go with them then striped everything down and used a powered wire brush to clean everything then rust treat and paint callipers and backing plates and even suspension parts or anything I could reach also I'm able to make sure everything is lubed properly and with the right grease ect not saying a garage would not do a good job but would they clean the little washers and spring that hold in the brake shoes then treat and paint them?
No of course not because to most people it would not matter and it would not be worth it for them to do it but its the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night :eek:
So basically what your saying is if your car is ever up for sale I should just buy it instantly :thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
And good for you too. That's what being an enthusiast is all about. Self satisfaction.:thumbsup:

Tony.

Dickymint

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
So basically what your saying is if your car is ever up for sale I should just buy it instantly :thumbsup:
I would ;) but TBH I have found when you do things to your car the chances of the next person appreciating what you have done would be small also the extra value you add to a car is very small, I have spent maybe 2k on mine in the last year and i'd be lucky to get back what I paid for it and don't even go there if your unlucky to have a accident like we did in out MK1 MX5 that we had for 2 years and I replaced all brakes and new s/s exhaust and fixed the rust and painted (welded in new sills ect) and s/s roll hoops and so much done to that car that it looked mint, maybe spent 2k on doing that up and had to fight to get £900 pounds back :(

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
I would ;) but TBH I have found when you do things to your car the chances of the next person appreciating what you have done would be small also the extra value you add to a car is very small, I have spent maybe 2k on mine in the last year and i'd be lucky to get back what I paid for it and don't even go there if your unlucky to have a accident like we did in out MK1 MX5 that we had for 2 years and I replaced all brakes and new s/s exhaust and fixed the rust and painted (welded in new sills ect) and s/s roll hoops and so much done to that car that it looked mint, maybe spent 2k on doing that up and had to fight to get £900 pounds back :(
I feel your pain, I too have been on the receiving end of a no-fault accident where basically I totally lost my car that I couldn't replace (Ford Sierra that was mint with 46k on the clock, one owner) and came out the other end with what was basically pocket change and a crumpled mess that used to be my pride and joy.

I've dropped just shy of a bag of sand on my car this year also, pretty impressive considering I paid 1500 quid for it!!

... I keep being told I need a cheaper hobby, especially when I drive around in a new Leon every day to work and other people just 'don't get it'!

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
Alan normally does ours :p
Think I can only remember the Z going to the garage once for a service :)