Help me remove this knob!

T-Z3

Hi all so I’m struggling to get this gear knob of of my z3. Watched a YouTube vid and people just seem to put it off have tried with mine but the thing won’t budge am I missing something is there a special technique!?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Best with the roof down, two hands and give it the mother of all yanks. Mind you don't punch yourself in the face.

Edit: If that doesn't work a previous owner may have glued it on ....... hacksaw.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Can't beat a good knob thread ............... ;)

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Best with the roof down, two hands and give it the mother of all yanks. Mind you don't punch yourself in the face.

Edit: If that doesn't work a previous owner may have glued it on ....... hacksaw.

He used to be in the WWE, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan. !!

Tony.

ps. A cordless angle grinder could be the way to go.

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
I had the same problem on my Z3. Ended up using a Hacksaw.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Where abouts did you cut ?
The missing information is that you have to destroy the gear knob by cutting it to bits. No particular technique or approach, just start cutting till its no longer attached.

It’s on a metal shaft so you’re unlikely to cause any damage to anything other than the knob!

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Where abouts did you cut ?
As Gary says, its a demolition job. First i cut the outer skin which left the plastic that fastens to the stick then i used a hack saw and cut a slit down one side of the plastic then it just peeled off. Good news is when i came to strip the car the Msport (fake) knob came off OK top down quick snatch and it came off. What made it easier was the seats had been removed so i good kneel in the car and get good purchase

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
Agree with Mike, I got the one off my Z3 by standing, with the roof down of course, on the seats and pulling like mad. When it did come off it hit my gut and I fell backwards thinking wow, that was very close to the wedding tackle!:eek:

Mike Fishwick

Zorg Legend
French Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
You do not need to cut it off, or use a brute force pull - even though Bentley specifies a 110 pound pull.
I find that tilting the knob to one side while pulling normally works after a few failed attempts.
My wife used to sometimes remove the knob while changing gear - but she was not limp-wristed!