hello everyone

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
From experience I wouldn't bother with a 2.0 litre, they have too little power for the weight/size, a 1.9 4 cylinder went just as well. 1.9's (4 cyl) come in twin cam version up to around 1999 year and are narrow bodied cars. Very tuneable engines. 1999 on year and the 1.9 became a single cam engine fitted in a wide body car, prone to head gasket problems. Both excellent handling, great mpg and easy to work on engine wise. If you want power with great sounding engine always go for a 6 cyl, many start off buying a smaller engined zed then lust for a bigger lump. Bear that in mind. 2.2's are great but can be prone to high oil consumption

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi from another 2.8 owner. I drove a few before buying but the prefacelift 2.8 with its wide rear end was a must. As for power the striaght six has good delivery ,the 1.9 although a very capable car may be a little under whelming if you wife wants grunt!.
A great little car and as all owners here will vouch they produce many smiles per mile whilst being affordable ... Good luck with the search!!

2DunnsZ3

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 5 speed roadster
I agree with Sean d.I have a 2.8 and you just cant drive it without smiling and enjoying the quickness. Although I cant discount the 2.2 because Ive never owned one. Good luck and welcome from the USA

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Just to introduce myself.
I am a mechanic / welder / fabricator, old, and nearly dead, according to my daughter! my daily driver is an X type Jag. diesel estate. my weekend toy is a Locost 7, I built this many years ago, fitted with a ford puma 1700 engine years before caterham thought of it. Also I have a couple of motorcycles, a Benelli, A Chinese thing, a Velosolex, also a couple of electric bicycles.
So I suppose I come under the heading of 'petrol head' or saddo depending on your perspective.
At the moment I am tasked with the job of replacing my wife's aging Mk1 MX5, the natural progression, in my mind, is the BMW Z3 maybe Z4, I must admit I prefer the Z3...
As to the engine size, I think it has to be a 2000 or a 2200, as it will be her daily driver so fuel is a consideration, a 2800 is definitely a possibility if it is a gas conversion.
I am hoping for good advice and guidance in my quest, or I'll never hear the end of it !
Welcome to the forum from Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey................Frankie

Devon Z

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
99 Topaz Individual
Hello and welcome to the forum, I only have a “crappy” 2.0 so don’t ask me anything :(

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
All down to personal preference.;)

Tony.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
@black fingernail which Benelli do you have? Would it be an old vee twin or the 6 cylinder 750?

reddyzeddygo

Zorg Guru (II)
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 1.9i
Hi and welcome to the Forum.
I'd certainly take a look at the Z3 1.9i - plenty fast enough and, in my opinion, the best balanced Z3. If you're very lucky, you might even find one as awesome as mine ! ;)

IMG_0809.JPG

black fingernail

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 sport Individual Estoril
Thanks all.
Jack rat, Neither, my old Benelli is a 1979 500 4LS, I have had her for a long time and I've just finished restoring her early this year, but I had to put her away again after breaking my arm at work in June.
finished2.jpg

Devon Z, I'm sure it isn't. My wife works in Brixham, so keep a look out for her, she takes no prisoners.

After much research I have found and bought an Estoril blue 2.2 with blue wheels, it is in very good condition, but there is a few jobs to do when I get chance. swimbo will be using it as a daily driver

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
Great, I'm sure you'll both enjoy the zed. I've had a 2.8 , 1.9 and now the 2.2i sport and I like them all for different reasons. Regarding performance I find very little useable difference between the 2.8 and 2.2 on our roads. Track may be, but normal roads nothing significant.

black fingernail

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 sport Individual Estoril
Yes, that is what I figured, around here you can't really stretch your legs properly, either it's holiday traffic or speed cameras. Anyway, my wife needs a flying license, so I think the 2.2 should be enough.