Hard top

jonnyz

Happy Easter all.
Is a hard top a good idea or bad? Bit surprised at cost second hand!! Or am I looking in the wrong place? Or should I just skip that idea?.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
I’ve debated this very dilemma too. I had a hard top on a MGF but it was a nightmare to store and a nightmare to take on and off…so I decided against getting one for my Z. Others may wax lyrical about having one and they do look nice but they change a roadster’s feel when driving with a hard top on. And, of course, you can’t just spontaneously decide to take the roof down 😂

jonnyz

I’ve debated this very dilemma too. I had a hard top on a MGF but it was a nightmare to store and a nightmare to take on and off…so I decided against getting one for my Z. Others may wax lyrical about having one and they do look nice but they change a roadster’s feel when driving with a hard top on. And, of course, you can’t just spontaneously decide to take the roof down 😂
Yes that's true.
Think I'll skip that idea for now, as my good lady reminded me you don't get the car till next week, why don't you think about it later on. Why do the opposite sex have to be so sensible? And never wrong?.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
If your Zed is parked outside, it's a good idea for winter, the only problem is storage if you have no garage. I think they look great with a hard top on but I've no need as I have a garage for Zed. Combined with the fitting kit you're not getting much change, if any, from £1200, that's a lot of money for occasional use.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Oh. I do love a z3 in a hardtop.

20220620_165302.jpg

I do have a garage though with a high ceiling with a hoist to lift it on and off without assistance. When it's off it hangs in the air ready to drop down. I used to leave it on the car most of the time. I use my zed all year. Just took the roof off for the odd nice day out.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
A well installed one makes it an all season car.
Further to that so much quieter in high speeds.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Plus you always get your money back. Quite rare these nowadays.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Yes that's true.
Think I'll skip that idea for now, as my good lady reminded me you don't get the car till next week, why don't you think about it later on. Why do the opposite sex have to be so sensible? And never wrong?.
Cough, cough…er…never assume only men own a Z and are on here 😂

jonnyz

If your Zed is parked outside, it's a good idea for winter, the only problem is storage if you have no garage. I think they look great with a hard top on but I've no need as I have a garage for Zed. Combined with the fitting kit you're not getting much change, if any, from £1200, that's a lot of money for occasional use.
Yep.
Your right. with storage, purchase and fitting, it's too much of a faff. I do have a good size garage but with all my tools and my ride on mower, and shelving, I would be taking even more space up. I have two sheds round the back of the garden but they are crammed full of car stuff etc. think I'm going to have to do a car boot sale and get rid of some stuff, my problem is I'm a bit of a hoarder.
Maybe a hardtop later on, no rush

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Yep.
Your right. with storage, purchase and fitting, it's too much of a faff. I do have a good size garage but with all my tools and my ride on mower, and shelving, I would be taking even more space up. I have two sheds round the back of the garden but they are crammed full of car stuff etc. think I'm going to have to do a car boot sale and get rid of some stuff, my problem is I'm a bit of a hoarder.
Maybe a hardtop later on, no rush
It's also a known fact that having your roof down makes you happier 😂

jonnyz

It's also a known fact that having your roof down makes you happier 😂
I had a lotus 7 type until last week, which I built, but no roof, it was a pain in the backside in bad weather. Couldn't venture out if it was raining, at least with a soft top you can use it .

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I had a lotus 7 type until last week, which I built, but no roof, it was a pain in the backside in bad weather. Couldn't venture out if it was raining, at least with a soft top you can use it .

I too had a Se7en style car until last month - twenty years of fun and track days, but I gave up on road use after too many near misses through unobservant drivers endangering my life.

My Z of fifteen years ownership has a hard top and I agree that it looks good. The hard top lets water on the top of the windscreen frame but the soft top is water tight! Ironic, eh?

Last edited:

jonnyz

I too had a Se7en style car until last month - twenty years of fun and track days, but I gave up on road use after too many near misses through unobservant drivers endangering my life.

My Z of fifteen years ownership has a hard top and I agree that it looks good. The hard top lets water on the top of the windscreen frame but the soft top is water tight! Ironic, eh?
Think I'll stick to the soft top for now, to be fair the previous owner has had a new back window fitted, not long before he traded it in, so it can't be all that bad . The seven I built only had 1500 miles on it when I sold it, but been looking for a change for a while now. Stumbled across this X reg Z3 on the internet and couldn't resist. I'm just itching to get it in my garage, it's being delivered next week hope everything goes to plan, I've never bought a car on the internet before without seeing it in the flesh, the dealers I bought it off have a sound reputation. Sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind, and I don't have a craving for modern cars, they all look the same and I won't entertain electric cars , my every car is a Volvo V70 2.0 litre diesel.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Only a few more sleeps:whistle:;)

Clivez

Dedicated Member
Just bought a hood cover for mine with magnetic clips, Velcro straps around mirrors and the back section tucks under the edge of the boot. Takes literally a minute to put on and came in a zipped storage bag for £65! Just a little help in preserving the roof during the off season. Having said that the weather currently is bl@@dy awful!!!

jonnyz

That's not a bad price!. I was thinking of getting a hard top, later on down the line, but think it will be too much of a faff. And they ain't cheep.

Zed Chimp

Zorg Addict
Yes that's true.

Yes i know exactly what you mean , my wife has been telling me for decades thats shes never wrong so i guess she must be right at least occasionally ;)

Jam03

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
I’ve just bought another one of those half covers. They are on at a good price at the moment. Be aware that they only last about a year, then shrink, and become stiff and brittle and not 100% waterproof. Also keep an eye on the areas where the magnets are as they can pick up dirt and small metal bits and rub against the paint.