Handbrake and DSC warning lights on Z4 e85

Olliebeak

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Driving through traffic today the handbrake and dsc warning lights decided to come on. Is this a speed sensor fault and if so how can you tell which wheel? Are they straightforward to replace, thanks

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
The only way to tell what the problem is, is to read the trouble codes in the ABS module. Anything else is a guess.

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
There are many options. Here are a few, graded from cheap to expensive:
- Creator C310
- Foxwell NT 530 with BMW software,

Last edited:

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
will the Foxwell NT510 do the job too?

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
It should do. I have not used the NT510, but it was the pre-curser to the NT530, so should work with the BMW software.

Just one point to note with the NT510. The Early BMW software had a habit of clearing the ISN alignment between the DME and EWS on E46's. This resulted in a crank no start problem and required someone with the INPA software pack to fix it. It was overcome by a fix in the Foxwell BMW software, so you have to use the latest software in the scanner. As the Z's use the same 6 cylinder engines, make sure your BMW software is up to date.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Got the same lights on my 2003 2.5, code reader showed 5E20 Pressure sensor 1 electrically faulty. There are two sensors on the master cylinder No1 is the front one. Have ordered two replacements to change them, will see if that allows the lights to go off when the code is cleared. I use BMW Scanner 1.4 on a Laptop and INPA. Also have the airbag light on after installing heated seat pads in both of the sreats, only code I am getting is 20 70 2D which is an indication that the airbag light is lit up indicating a fault. Scanning for the actual cause comes back with No faults, need to explore further, have a Creator 310+ scanner on order to give that a go at solving what the issue is.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
This is a recurring fault I get with my car.
20210606_151224.jpg

Which usually entails removing the cabin connection on the "A" piller, parting the connection, spraying with contact cleaner, and re connecting. Then the code will clear. It appears to be triggered by low battery voltage situations.

Tony.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Had another session of scanning for the DSC and handbrake amber warning lights issue using INPA, found I could get them reset by using the hydraulic compensation sequence in INPA ABS DSC menu. They turned off when I used it but returned a short time after. With the delivery of the Creator 310+ scanner that was plugged in and the codes read, it found the Pressure Sensor No 1 was electrically faulty so confirmed what INPA and BMW Scanner had found previously, a duff sensor. Will have to await delivery of the replacement sensors and fit them and clear the codes to see if that resolves the issue.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
What colour are the lights? Yellow is likely to be a sensor fault. Red could more likely be an ABS controller fault.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Yellow on both DSC and handbrake, Creator scanner identifies fault with No1 Pressure Sensor having an electrical fault, will know for sure when I replace it and clear the code. Interestingly when they are lit the DSC button has no effect, with the fault cleared the DSC button works. It appears if the fault is recorded it locks out the DSC switch function.

Last edited:

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
New sensors arrived today so scanned the car again before starting to replace them, scan revealed no codes present and no DSC and yellow handbrake lights were lit as they had done previously. Had a look at live data from the sensors and applied the footbrake and monitored the pressure readings on both sensors, both appeared to be working correctly with good high readings only a slight difference between the two which I took to be in spec. Will hold off replacing them and see how they perform when I put the car back on the road next month at least if they play up again I have the replacements in the parts stash.
I do wonder if the battery being disconnected when I installed heated seat pads in the seats may have upset the system like it did with the airbag light I was presented with, reset that using the Creator 310+ scanner and it hasn't returned.

Laurens B

Best ‘Colb’,
How is your Z4 doing sofar?
Recently I experienced prior to my roadtrip the similar problem. I replaced the ABS pressure sensor 1. However, during my ongoing road-trip it appeared again. It disappears after when I’m lucky.
Were you able to find out what is the fault?

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Mine was a duff sensor on the master cylinder replacement solved it sourced off eBay at £12 each think they are more now. Keep the second one as a spare.