GazHyde Z3 2.0 - Stage 2!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
As a few of you may well have guessed, it looks like the Z3 will soon be my only Zed =((

Now the old girl isn't doing too bad mechanically @ 92000 miles, but externally and underneath she is looking a little bit sad. Plans are afoot for the next round of upgrades, once I have freed up some cash from the sale of my two other cars.

Planned list of upgrades/mods.

Body work. Depending on cost this will hopefully be a complete respray. She's got rust coming through on the arches and sills, and thats without looking too closely. Stone chip central on the bonnet, front bumper and rear arches.
Alloys. Will most likely put the 18" Breytons back on, but get them refurbed back to perfect. One is slightly bent on the inside rim so needs to be fixed first. Maybe add a little shadow to them?
Disks & pads. Will most likely stay OEM with these.
Suspension. I think the time has come for a complete refresh front and back. I can quite decide about about lowering...
Induction kit. Wish I hadn't sold the Simota now, so will be on the look for another one.
Engine remap. To make best use of the induction kit & Eisenmann exhaust.
Interior. Not sure whether to keep the M Coupe interior, or look to some after market seats. I've never been too comfortable in either the standard or the M seats. Need to do some investigation here.
CDV Delete
Brake caliper overhaul/repaint. (Thanks Brian H!)
Remove spare wheel and cradle Weight reduction
Modify M seats and refit M interior

Feel free to jump in with some suggestions. :ymbringiton:

How she looks now...

('_')Z3

Zorg Addict
Supporter
Whhoooooaaaaaahhhh, what have I missed :-o
Where's the 4? :-s
Thought you'd sold the 3 [-x
But welcome back to the 2.0ltr titanium fold ^:)^

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
('_')Z3 said:
Whhoooooaaaaaahhhh, what have I missed
Just me changing my mind...
('_')Z3 said:
Where's the 4?
Still have it (for now)
('_')Z3 said:
Thought you'd sold the 3
Nope. I have to be realistic, and owning 3 cars when I'm starting off as self employed just isn't sensible...
('_')Z3 said:
But welcome back to the 2.0ltr titanium fold
Cheers... :coolsteer)

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Nice to see you have come to your senses Gazhyde ;) How about a nice red soft top to finish it off :coolsteer)

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
GazHyde said:
As a few of you may well have guessed, it looks like the Z3 will soon be my only Zed =((

Now the old girl isn't doing too bad mechanically @ 92000 miles, but externally and underneath she is looking a little bit sad. Plans are afoot for the next round of upgrades, once I have freed up some cash from the sale of my two other cars.

Planned list of upgrades/mods.

Disks & pads. Will most likely stay OEM with these.
Do not forget to give your brake calipers and mounting bracket a bit of a overhaul too, I recently had mine totally refurbished by a company called Bigg Redd. The difference after the refurb is night and day in respect of how the calipers look and more importantly how they work. I used Biggred for the whole full refurb and had the calipers painted in a black polymer coating (quite pricey but worth it IMO), you can just purchase the caliper repair kits if you are confident in overhauling them yourself. How about S/S brake hoses as well?

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Glad you chose to stay with the z3 at least you can drive that one :D ;)
bill

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Brian H said:
Do not forget to give your brake calipers and mounting bracket a bit of a overhaul too
Good call - added to the list!

z3cade said:
Drop a V8 in it Gaz.
Might be a little beyond my skills, but I have found a couple of companies who will fit a 2.8 lump in for just over a grand. That should add about 40bhp to start with. Can then possibly consider the manifold conversion as well if needed!

billz said:
Glad you chose to stay with the z3 at least you can drive that one :D ;) bill
Cheeky g*t! :ymbringiton:

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Instead of spending that in an engine convertion why not Sell both and buy a 3.0 z3 ?? :-\
Save time and money ;)

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
It's not really about the power Liam - if I can keep up on one of TaffZee's cruises then it's really not that slow!

The Simota & Eisenmann makes the power delivery much smoother anyway, so hopefully a remap will help on top of that. Just have the thought in the back of my mind that if I want more power later on, then one way forward is an engine transplant. Most likely never get round to it, but it's a possibility.

What would be more useful is better gearing or a six gear to bring the cruising revs down. :coolsteer)

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
I know what it's like Gaz. It took alot to let go of my 2.8..

I sometimes think about selling the M and getting.. Dare I say it.. A Z3 Auto x_x

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
z3cade said:

I sometimes think about selling the M and getting.. Dare I say it.. A Z3 Auto x_x

Liam you can get medication for that problem you have :-j

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
HornelZ3M said:
z3cade said:

Liam you can get medication for that problem you have :-j
Now I've hit the big 3 0 I've got the feeling I need to slow down and woft around in an auto..

:baa

B

badman gee

he wouldnt be able to handle the power :D

ps gaz

do yourself a favour and sell both cars.

get yourself the best car bmw ever made.

z3m roadster
:ymdevil:

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
I would not mind owning a Z ///M to be honest, but have had BMW ///M's before, and crashed them.
Bit of an expensive hobby.

These Cars are, IMHO, built for petrol heads with access to a track and not meant to be garage queens.
I am not sure about the UK, but in The Netherlands you can get done for speeding before you even get in the car.
In Germany, most autobahns have speed limits now, so you cant thrash them there either, very often.

Obviously being slightly older now, I am more than happy with my 1.9 M44 16 Valve Auto (Liam) had her up to 198 KPH (123 mph) in Germany.
And I bet that before you have released the clutch at the lights, I am long gone......kick down, best thing going........ :ymdevil:

But on a serious note, in today's traffic, an auto is bliss.

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
hard top said:
But on a serious note, in today's traffic, an auto is bliss.
And a push bike is even quicker :ymsmug: