Footrest

RodsZ3

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Hello All,
Driving to and from Devon recently I suffered a little bit of cramp in my left leg (obviously my age) but I put it down to lack of use and support being as the car is an automatic. Stretching out and then tucking under had no relief nearing the end of five hour journeys.

I’ve seen pedal sets for automatics on e-bay but wondered how the Footrest item is fixed to the side of the tunnel, I’ve emailed the seller but no reply as yet.

Looking back in Z3 Knowledge on the 'other site' :-^ …. there was mention of the foam moulding which forms a narrow rest on the side of the tunnel under the carpet and whispered talk of silicone adhesive ….yuk! :-?

I was thinking of ‘Clinch Nuts’ (no funny comments…. please!! we have mixed company) which are kinds of captive Hank bushes or nuts but that means drilling through the tunnel and I’m not certain what’s behind there….brake lines, wiring loom, how close the gearbox is the tunnel side etc. It obviously needs to be very secure as it will take pressure at some point so some kind of angle brackets could possibly be used.

So my question to the collective :ymhug: , has anyone fitted a footrest and how is it fixed?
Having not crawled under my car recently I’m struggling to remember how much room there is between the tunnel and the gearbox…or whatever is there.

Pictures would be handy ….painting a thousand words etc.

Kind Regards
Rod

RodsZ3

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Thanks for that Frank but yes I did see that....no sign of 'how' the footrest is fixed apart from mention of silicone in other posts....need something a bit more substantial than that 8-| . Obviously fiddly screws mentioned for the other two pedals.

I'm tempted to get a set though just for a bit of bling in the footwell :D

Rod

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Hi Rod.... I have a 2.8 auto pre facelift and there's a factory fitted built in footrest in mine all covered in carpet etc.

Do you have nothing or are you trying to extend that further out :-\

RodsZ3

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Snoops said:
Do you have nothing or are you trying to extend that further out :-\
That could be interpreted in many ways :D ......however moving on, having seen sets of three pedals for automatics and given my ol' left leg gets an ache on long journeys I indeed thought that the foamy bump under the carpet could be extended :-? . I have a Scenic for everyday use and that has a footrest which is very comfortable although a totally different seating position of course.....and of course quite dull i-)

Cheers for now
Rod

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
RodsZ3 said:
I indeed thought that the foamy bump under the carpet could be extended
I believe that references elsewhere use silicone mastic to fix the (clutch) pedal plate on to that very bump in automatics :bulb