Extra air for Simota

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Adding extra air for the benefit of the simota. This came about as i was looking through the bimmerforums reading plenty of discussions on air supply.They all seemed to come to the conclusion that the ram effect was the best for the simota induction kit to function at its best. I have had several pm`s with Mike Fishwick who also has a write up on his air supply addition ,which is very interesting. But with mine being the M version i wondered how, with the cone of the Simota jammed up against the back of the headlight, could it be enough air for such a big filter.

Removing the 4 screws holding headlight in place.
There is an airway to the left of the headlight but as it is blocked off when you close the bonnet what good could that be doing. The only way that would help was if you were to put an extra vent to the right of your bonnet grill and i dont think that would look good. I have at this time removed the headlight and already i have found a great fix.

The 2 wires that belong to the left rear of the light are coming through from the engine bay connected to a square of plastic which is connected to the actual plastic cowling which is fitted behind the headlight. I removed this square to find the simota now has twice the exposure to air. I now believe with the addition of a air supply pipe to the left hand vent,(the one which i think is not doing its job) the flow of air would be considerable. progress reported as and when completed

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Picture 1 shows the rear of the headlight bay. You can see to the left of the pic the 2 wires coming through the plastic holder.

Attachments

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
You can see from this picture the simota is now exposed to the airways

Attachments

B

badman gee

i will be surprised if it makes a difference.

update us on the outcome mate.

mark

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Hmm.. Do I do it to mine.. :-?

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
When you think about it logically it can only help, be the same, but not worse.

Think i have a hardtop and fitting kit coming Sunday, guy going to fit it and all. B-)

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
HornelZ3M said:

Think i have a hardtop and fitting kit coming Sunday, guy going to fit it and all. B-)
yes i think i will try it Paul.. can you remove the pannel from the engine bay? or do i need to take the light out?

Why are you getting a hard top? you never take the zed out of the garage!! :))

B

badman gee

HornelZ3M said:

good stuff mate, the hardtop completes the car!

:ymparty:

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Zcade wrote
yes i think i will try it Paul.. can you remove the pannel from the engine bay? or do i need to take the light out?

Why are you getting a hard top? you never take the zed out of the garage!!

Hi Liam. It is fairly simple, firstly take the four screws out of the headlight . one to the right is a pain but with the right tools its ok. , take the bulbs from behind the unit and remove.

The hardtop is for cosmetic reasons, and will keep the car warmer in the garage. 8-} :ymparty:

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Well Paul i took the simota off and just removed the pannel from the engine bay.. was a five min job..
After a short run im sure the car is now running around 1000bhp!! :ymparty: thanks for the tip!

ai866.photobucket.com_albums_ab225_cade37_DSC03117.jpg

If you get the hard top then maybe i`ll steal it off your M at the Zedfest s:ymtwisteddevil

r37

Dedicated Member
sorry to hijack the thread but: I know fitting an induction kit will need to be declared on the insurance but does adding an extra air intake (i have a 2.8) by way of some guttering count as a modification? I can see how it might because its technically a performace related mod but at the end of the day, its some guttering.

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Well done Liam, my simota is so tight against the headlight it was easier to take that off, i remember having a hell of a job putting mine on, can you take a pic of your simota to see if it is the same as mine, as the one i have looked bigger than some i saw.

Hardtop has now been purchased from a great guy from the forum 1955davidR and is driving down from Blackpool on Sunday to fit it. s;) he only wants to see my M really 8-}

Re the question on the filter supply. You can have as much air as you want going to your filter its only the filter you declare. s;)

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
My Simota seems to be tight upto the headlight at the top but not at the bottom, you can get your fingers in at the bottom from the engine bay.. I think this is normal and yes it is a tight fit as it was a pig to get back on!

Regards the guttering I did that mod on my 2.8 and never declared it on insurance as you couldn't see it for starters.. Was a very good mod with the standard airbox

Heres mine fitted Paul

ai866.photobucket.com_albums_ab225_cade37_M_20Roadster_DSC03098.jpg

ai866.photobucket.com_albums_ab225_cade37_M_20Roadster_DSC03095.jpg