Emissions Issues Z3 1.9 1998

Miffysmith

Hi all

Looking for some advice, please.

(PS. i'm not a mechanic, so go easy on the terminology lol!)

Car is struggling to meet emissions requirements. I've changed the plugs, cleaned the air filter, and dosed the fuel with an injector cleaner... still, to no avail.

I believe the Cat is quite new, but need to check.

She splutters a little on tick-over, so could it be the leads to the plugs (are these high tension leads)?

If anyone could recommend any other areas that could be contributing, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Jonathan

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Post a picture of the emissions fail certificate then we can see why it failed the test. Without that anyone is simply guessing Jonathan.

Tony.

Andyboy

Zorg Guru (I)
The 'new cat' is a good place to start. The new aftermarket ones are generally garbage and just don't work. The problem with four cylinder E36 stuff is that the cat is too far away from the manifold and struggles to get hot enough. It's been suggested to wrap it in heat resistant exhaust wrap - that might help. The engine running perfectly, some cat cleaner and a proper 5000 rpm+ blast to get it as hot as possible is about as good as you can get. Post up a pic of the converter and we'll know what it is.

Miffysmith

Hi all, and thank you for the help, much appreciated.

As I know the mechanic, he kept persevering in order to get her under the limit, but as it was close and I don't want that stress again, I'd like to spend the next 12 months before MOT time again to get a more comfortable result.

The HC and Lambda values were ok, it was the Co2 that caused the worry.

Pic of the exhaust system, attached.

I'm being told to consider the following:

* HT Leads (never had to purchase these before... was not expecting to see the prices lol!... if anyone has any links to a quality option that will fit, much appreciated).

* Coil pack

* Cat

* Fuel filter

* Another flush with injector cleaner (in with the fuel)

* Change air filter

Thanks guys, appreciate your time and knowledge.

Jonathan

Attachments

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Did you not receive a print out of the emission test result? You SHOULD be given one whether you know the tester or not. They can print one from the machine data base and a full picture of the test result (not just HC and Lambda are ok) will help anyone advise what to do.

Tony.

Miffysmith

Did you not receive a print out of the emission test result? You SHOULD be given one whether you know the tester or not. They can print one from the machine data base and a full picture of the test result (not just HC and Lambda are ok) will help anyone advise what to do.

Tony.
Hi Tony, as he managed to solve my problem, I didn't ask too many questions or ask for a copy of the report. She does less than <1k miles per annum, which probably doesn't help matters. Thanks, Jonathan

Miffysmith

Is there a weblink to a site I can obtain correct/ compatible part numbers for various bits and pieces?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If I am correct these ship from Germany at fair prices.

Tony.

Andyboy

Zorg Guru (I)
None of those are proper ones - consider that a scrap Z3 converter is worth £400 upwards. I'd look for an original BMW one made by Eberspaecher and pay £500. Or, just fit a cheap new one the week before the MOT.

Cat theft is rife though. There is a Z3 on a driveway near me under a tarpaulin and some scum chopped the cat off in the middle of the night. That's why I have a cheap crap one on mine and will only refit the original for the day of the MOT test.

Your car has a cheap aftermarket cat btw.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Due to the age of Z3s the cat doesn’t have to be “type approved” which basically means the manufactures can make cheap crap which doesn’t (usually) last for more than 1 or if you’re lucky, 2 years.

Tony.

Andyboy

Zorg Guru (I)
I've had decent luck with BM Catalysts - they've always passed the first MOT at least!

I can see this being a problem in the future tbh. My 1994 318Ti (M42) has an engine number from an early 1992 318iS :whistle: on the V5 meaning it's exempt from cat testing if push comes to shove.

Miffysmith

None of those are proper ones - consider that a scrap Z3 converter is worth £400 upwards. I'd look for an original BMW one made by Eberspaecher and pay £500. Or, just fit a cheap new one the week before the MOT.

Cat theft is rife though. There is a Z3 on a driveway near me under a tarpaulin and some scum chopped the cat off in the middle of the night. That's why I have a cheap crap one on mine and will only refit the original for the day of the MOT test.

Your car has a cheap aftermarket cat btw.
Thank you Andyboy... beginning to get the sweats now lol! I'd heard of this going on (Cat theft)... no words :mad::mad:

Miffysmith

Due to the age of Z3s the cat doesn’t have to be “type approved” which basically means the manufactures can make cheap crap which doesn’t (usually) last for more than 1 or if you’re lucky, 2 years.

Tony.
o_O:oops::blackeye::confused::eek::bashhead:

Andyboy

Zorg Guru (I)
Thank you Andyboy... beginning to get the sweats now lol! I'd heard of this going on (Cat theft)... no words :mad::mad:
A cat thief with half a brain* knows that the copy ones like yours are worth about 14p and a Twix.

*Yep - the flaw in that plan.

Miffysmith

A cat thief with half a brain* knows that the copy ones like yours are worth about 14p and a Twix.

*Yep - the flaw in that plan.
Ha ha... know what you mean Andyboy. My sweats though, are more when i think about the cost of a proper cat! Thing is, i could spend all that and the problem is something else!!! eek.