Dual Carriageway closure

Queue on inside lane due to outside lane closure . You just passed the lane closure sign, Do You:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I went with #4, which is basically down to my days as a company car driver. Back then every other car was a road block and a hold up, and needed to be got through as quickly as possible!

Glad I don't drive for a living now because I used to drive like a complete idiot..

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
At least the belgian road code say:
"Stay in outside lane pulling in just before lane closure"
If you pull in before needed, you only make the traffic jam longer then needed.
Although a lot of people don't see the benefit of this and opt for option 2 (Pull In and scream at cars zooming past on the outside lane) or option 3 (Pull out into outside lane blocking overtaking cars).

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I remember being in a similar situation but politley staying in the inside lane behind a arctic lorry who obviously got somewhat annoyed with the ammount of people going past in the outside lane so decided to place his vehicle down the middle of the two lanes. Oh it was fun watching how irate people got coming down the outside lane especially when we got to the lane closure and the wagon driver decided to let all the patient drivers on the inside lane go through first blocking the outside lane cars from pulling in, everyone was pipping their horns and waving hands in thanks as they went past the lorry.=))

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
I used to do the "british thing" and politely queue in the outside lane, but have noticed over the years that people in general sadly have become less polite( in all walks of life not just road manners) and so have decided to join them rather than sit in traffic swearing like a drunken glaswegian about the "lack of manners'' of other drivers...it wasn't good for my health:mad:

I am aware I am now living up to all the pre conceptions of the arrogant BMW driver but frankly don't care any more...there was a period of adjustment where I felt a bit guilty but it didn't last too long!...

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Do you realize that what you call here "the impolite why of handling" in the best one to have less traffic jam?
If every body would use all lanes until the moment every one moves in 1 lane (the latest possible is the best to have the least traffic jam), then there wouldn't be anyone passing by at speed.
There would be 2 lanes queuing until moving into 1.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Now what you REALLY need in this situation is to have an American driver like myself, driving in line and lose my temper, which would be par for the course, and swing out to pass only, on an impulse without thinking, pass as if I were over here, which there would be pulling into oncoming traffic. That would make a fine mess.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
I go with Storm_be the lane is there to be used but not at full speed like most A--i drivers do and the feed in alternately all would be much calmer.
The was a sign from the slip road onto the main Ring Road in Madrid in both Spanish and English 'Feed in in Turn' and most adhered to it.

On Motorways if there is signs saying congestion usually best to aim for the inside lane with the lorries and watch all the others swapping lanes and going backwards.

Oh the joys of weekday motoring.

DivideBYZero

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z3 2.2
The correct thing to do is use the outside lane. Using all of the available road space, and at the point that cars merge ALL have a responsibility to merge in turn. Many roads that have two into one lane configuration now have signs advising you use BOTH lanes and merge in turn. It's the most efficient use of the available road space, it has nothing to do with who is right, unless you want to sit in the inside lane and see empty tarmac to the side of you... The problem with that attitude is you might as well reduce all roads by one lane, just so we all feel like we didn't 'lose'. :D

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
im a white van man....rules of the road dont apply to me..!!

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Strange that we Brits have a world wide reputation for our ability to queue and be polite about it. Unfortunately put some of us behind a steering wheel and we totally lose that ability. I agree the most sensible way for this situation is to use both lanes and merge in turn, however, recent road works in my area have shown that after merging in turn a short distance from the lane closure there are people who want to jump to the front. This causes the politely merge lane to stop and people get rather angry. So whilst I agree with the principle, in practice if I see queue jumping, then I am the a**hole who pulls out and blocks the outside lane.

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
I think that the key to this is a sign (and I have seen these but very rare) that says Merge with traffic, get in lane. rather that traffic coming to the end of the lane and then shoving and pushing to get in the correct lane, the merge should be smooth and not cause traffic to stop, Waiting until the last possible moment to get into the lane does not help to speed up the progress through the road works as cars are having to stop to allow cars to enter the flow, this is what causes the tailbacks.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
if everyone works together it makes thing a lot faster...but some people just aren't team players