DSC button doesn't work - where are the fuses?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi all,

I fitted two new real wheel ABS sensors today, and extinguished the lights that have been on the dashboard for about 18months!

All great and good, but now when I press the DSC button it doesn't turn off the traction control! I haven't actually tried to see if I can spin the rears up or not yet, but the warning light doesn't come up on the instrument panel. The switch illuminates with the headlights, so I know I plugged it back in when I changed the centre console.

Looking at the fuse box under the bonnet the ABS has five fuses. 4 are in that fuse box, but one is supposedly under the steering wheel.

Any ideas how I check the last one?

Thanks, Gary

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Hi Gary,

Before you rip your dashboard a part looking for this fuse, I thought that I'd make sure you aren't having a "blond" moment. On my car you have to press and hold the DSC button to de-activate traction control.

I know you have had a Z3 since the dawn of mankind and more than likely know this but I just thought I'd make sure. :)

Pete

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Thanks Pete,

I double checked it again when I popped out earlier. Held the button down for at least 10 seconds, but still won't turn off...

r37

Dedicated Member
mine de-activates as soon as you push the button rather than holding it in. Might be worth going out and 'testing' the traction controll before you pull things apart.

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
I would check Fuse 21 (5A) first (it protects the switch). The switch is illuminated by a different circuit (not even the earth is common), so testing using the headlights is not necessary.

Is there power to the switch?

Does power pass through the sw when pressed?

Do you have a) ABS/ASC, b) DSC III, or c) DSC Mk 60?

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I would:

1, drive car with traction control on
2, spin up back wheels,
3, traction control should kick in
4, light on dash should flash to tell you traction control has been used (if you get traction control but no light you have an indication fault).
5, push DSC button
6, try and spin up back wheels (if it continues to give you traction control you have a switch related fault).

Richardrix

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Got the same issue on my 2000 3.0, the DCS button does nothing. Fuses under the hood seem OK. Any ideas?