Driving with 35mm spacers

fxslin

Zorg Guru (I)
Norwegian Zeds
Model of Z
///M & 2.8
Got a question that I can't seem to find good answer on, hopefully somebody can share experience/opinions on this.

I got some 18X9.5 rims with ET 43, so I sourced my self a pair H&R bolt on spacers ( H&R wheel spacer system DRA Silver Edition - 35mm - TUV approved ).

With the spacers on the rear hub on the Z3 M, my rims fit perfectly and provides good clearance to fenders and caliper. And now sit with correct ET 8 (43-35 = 8).

However it seems to be a lot of opinions/concerns around safety around spacers. My general opinion about this has always been that the safety issue had to do with incorrect installation or poor quality spacers.

In my case I've used some good quality spacers and just to correct wrong ET to correct ET, not to widen my rears wheel track stand.

However I would like to get some independent opinions around this, as I feel that 35mm seems to push to far even tough I'm now at the correct ET.

My main question I'm on the safe side driving with these spacers and wheels?

Note: I've tried to search, but could not find any answers regarding 35mm spacers.

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Interested to hear what peoples view and opinions are on this.

fxslin

Zorg Guru (I)
Norwegian Zeds
Model of Z
///M & 2.8

bluesaz3

Dedicated Member
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
Hi can i add a few questions related to spacers, being.
What other forces are at play ,do the stud/bolts have to be longer,
And dose the force of the car moving directly affect the amount off play on the hub and wheel as some cars have a lip to Aline the hub to wheel,
I have seen wheels come off due to some one fitting wrong wheels or studs and the results are not pretty ! :facepalm:
Cheers ,Mick.

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
The only thing I know about using spacers is that you will need to use longer bolts to ensure that there is sufficient enough thread in the hub.

fxslin

Zorg Guru (I)
Norwegian Zeds
Model of Z
///M & 2.8
Hi can i add a few questions related to spacers, being.
What other forces are at play ,do the stud/bolts have to be longer,
And dose the force of the car moving directly affect the amount off play on the hub and wheel as some cars have a lip to Aline the hub to wheel,
The only thing I know about using spacers is that you will need to use longer bolts to ensure that there is sufficient enough thread in the hub.
I think it is important to differ between simple spacers with no lip and people using to short bolts, those setups are of course dangerous and can affect handling.

The ones I'm asking about are "bolt on spacers" with TUV papers from Germany. Meaning the spacers is attached to the hub with graded bolts and the wheel attaches to the spacers with the OEM bolts. Similar to how ie some Porche models is delivered with from factory.

Like these ones:
hur_spurverbreiterung_dra.jpg

TUV is important, because that means that they are graded to handle the forces in play.

fxslin

Zorg Guru (I)
Norwegian Zeds
Model of Z
///M & 2.8
Good to see a example of what you intend to fit.
Oh, they are on the car already. However was hoping to get some real life experience and opinions feedback. I'm there that I think they are safe, however since it so much talk around spacers. I want to be on the "sure, they safe" side of the fence :)

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
The type you have pictured use standard length bolts to bolt the spacer to the hub the the wheel bolts to the spacer as opposed to using longer bolts to bolt the spacer and wheel to the hub. Stephen.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Thx, forgot about that one. However I more concerned about handling and safety. (Ok, I admit: I like the look as well:) ).
This guy does some serious miles across the US with it, he even fitted a 6sp gearbox for better cruising (but a shorter final drive I think for better acceleration) so I think he certainly uses it, not 'just a pretty face!', I think I asked him about usage a while ago on BF.

So much out there about spacers, lots of debate!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I use 20mm hubcentric spacers with extended bolts on my car. I torque them up at 120 Nm. Never had any issues.

Tony.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
No problems with those spacers.

Especially if they bolt to the hub

Loads of people run massive spacers on all sorts of cars with no problems.