Driving a steptronic auto in the snow!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Went out this afternoon with no snow, and came home to 2 inches. Caught out with that, because I would have taken the Cooper if I had known :ymblushing:

For once, I managed to get a BMW up the hill I live on when it's covered in snow :x Granted the TC light was on solid, and she was sliding around like a good un, but she made it :x

I've had plenty of auto's before but not really had to drive one in snow. With the steptronic box, what's the best mode to select. Obviously I only had one shot at the hill, so I chose M2 (manual 2nd gear). In the manual Z3 I would have tried 3rd to try and stop the rears slipping, but it kept changing straight back to 2nd.

Would D have been better, and just let it get on with it?

D C

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 M44 Automatic
I think you did the right thing, my 5 series steptronic was a nightmare in snow as are all rear wheel drive auto's I've owned.
Turning off traction control seemed to help me slightly and nudging it in to third as soon as I could, though as you say it couldn't wait to change down. I assume winter tyres would be a benifit though I never had them fitted.
Dave.

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
My 5 has a similar box and I normally leave it in D letting the electronic gizmos do their stuff.
Shortly after getting the car I reversed down into a grass/mud field gate to turn round. It wouldn't move at first but I eventually floored the throttle. After a spectacular light display on the dash she pulled clear. The only problem was a lot of said mud and grass spread over the rear third of the car!

Z3nt from m'iPhone on Tapatalk

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Automatic and snow dont mix
i have seen some amusing sights over the years
with people driving auto's
i even saw a bloke with his door open and his foot out

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
You should have bought the Z3M because i never have any problem driving in the snow. 8-}

Phil

Zorg Addict
My son drove home along the A45 which was snowbound. First drive where his winter tyres came into their own.
His verdict - awesome. He couldnt believe how good the traction and handling were.

Zed Carer

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Boysie said:
Most don't but on our Citroen C5 Auto next to the selector there are 2 buttons: one marked "S" for Sports mode but the other just has a picture of a Snowflake. Last year we were one of the first cars out and up the hill we live on (after 3 days of being snowed in) thanks to the Snow Button. It appears to increase the tickover slightly and uses the ABS and Traction Control differently - very slow but once out it just crawled it's way up the hill. After 7 hours of snow this evening I think that my wife is resigned to the fact that she will probably be taking the Citroen to work on Monday and not the Z4.

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
Boysie said:
That is what STEPtronic is all about :))

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
I must admit i tried my steponit 3 series touring 98bc today in the Glossop snow. It did great, a bit of sense and careful driving ...no problem Mr Snow. :coolsteer)

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I used to turn the traction off on hills as I found it sometimes just brought the car to a stop.

Sport mode, foot to the floor and opposite lock is always fun :D

My e39 and e36's (manual and auto) didn't care much for the snow with the traction on so would turn it off and drive according to conditions. I do recall the e39 (auto) changing up and the back end started to compete with the front which was entertaining on a downward slope

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Btw, I only see snow now in your pics so post a bunch as I miss the snow but not the cold :D

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Thanks all. The snow has largely gone this morning replaced with ice...

I think if it happens again, I'll try the same again, but for now the Cooper is the weapon of choice. Nice skinny tyres and torquey diesel engine.

Winter tyres seem a great idea, but I don't really want to drive in this weather. It's not me, it's the other idiots out. From my bedroom window, I get to see everyone arriving at a junction carrying far more speed than is sensible or safe. That's on a housing estate too.

Paul, has your M even seen snow? ;)

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Auto + winter tyres = no problems what so ever.
Had snow here since Friday and I have to do daft things to get the back end out of line. B-)

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
hard top said:
I have to do daft things to get the back end out of line. B-)
well you should find that quite easy !!!

Z3nt from m'iPhone on Tapatalk

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
HornelZ3M said:
GazHyde said:
Paul, has your M even seen snow? ;)

I did open the garage door and say , you dont want to go out in that do you ;)
haha like it. I remember going down the M11, roof down and still had snow on the boot after 70 miles of driving.

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
3 top tips for driving on snow...

Anticipate
Anticipate
Anticipate

2 useful tips...

Don't use your brakes and don't stop your wheels rolling.