Door locked up tight!

Jim S

I'm Jim S. Have a 1999 Z3 5 spd. Bright Red! Great Car! But, I have a problem. I recently installed a new driver's side outside door handle. I had to rebuild the door panel as the previous owner ripped it out. Everything went in great. As far as I know I plugged all the necessary wires. Everything works includeing the electronic door actuator (the button goes up and down). But, as soon as I locked the door the first time after all this, it wouldn't open! I took off the door panel (With the door still locked and manipulated everything I could find inside and out. Still no luck the door is locked tighter than a drum. Any ideas?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Jim, probably a tad late for the UK guys (I'm in Fla. just now). Someone will point you in the right direction with a link to O.E.M. exploded view of parts which ought to help.

Tony.

ps. Welcome to the forum by the way.:)

Jim S

Thanks, Tony, I expect someone will have had a similar experience...Looking forward to being part of the discussion.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
It is a veritable mine of information Jim. Where are you located by the way?

Tony.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
I'm Jim S. Have a 1999 Z3 5 spd. Bright Red! Great Car! But, I have a problem. I recently installed a new driver's side outside door handle. I had to rebuild the door panel as the previous owner ripped it out. Everything went in great. As far as I know I plugged all the necessary wires. Everything works includeing the electronic door actuator (the button goes up and down). But, as soon as I locked the door the first time after all this, it wouldn't open! I took off the door panel (With the door still locked and manipulated everything I could find inside and out. Still no luck the door is locked tighter than a drum. Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum from Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey. I never had any experience with the door locks before so I can't help out. @t-tony who just replied to you actually lives in the UK and he's on vacation (holiday) here. About 90 percent of the members are from the UK and are about 5 hours later that @t-tony and I here on the East Coast. We have alot of members and a really friendly group. Someone will be able to answer you but you'll have to wait a bitl till they can read your post. I imagine you've already tried unlocking the car from the passenger side and I can't remember if unlocking the trunk (boot) would unlock the whole car. Are you sure you didn't pinch something that would allow the door mechanism to open? When you try to unlock the car, can you hear any mechanism trying to operate within the door?
Anyway, as I said, some who's done work with it will come along soon to help. What part of the US do you live? Frankie

Jim S

Hi Guys, I live in Texas. Good to visit with you "yanks" and "Brits." I can't say I didn't pinch something, but can't find anything. but both doors sound the same as if the actuator is doing its work whether I use the key, the inside handle or the trunk lock. It sounds as if the door has unlocked but then it won't open. And I can't remove the latch until I get the door open. Jim

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
It does sound to me as though an acctuator rod is disconnected or broken Jim. Hopefully an exploded view picture will show what could be wrong. Good luck!

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
:welcome:

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Welcome from me in South Yorkshire. Have you tried applying pressure to the door if its locked tight it may need some pressure applied to allow the mechanism to click open.
Apply pressure then unlock it may help..
Good Luck :thumbsup:

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I had the same issue with the boot lid. I hadn't snapped the actuator rod in properly. I had to break in to release it!

Slam

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless. Mini GP 1379
Hi and welcome from London

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Hi from Mansfield UK.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi @Jim S, :welcome: to the forum from me too in Staffordshire, UK. :thumbsup:

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
:welcome: Hi and welcome from me too :coolsteer)

BMBabe

Zorg Expert (I)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
Welcome from Aylesbury in the UK :p

Jim S

Hi from Mansfield UK.
Hello again! Well, as to the door that won't open, I have removed the door panel and found that both the inside and out rods are connected properly. I can feel them feel them at least trying to open the latch but to no effect. I read of someone with a similar issue who used a reciprocating saw between the door and the body to cut the latch pin...sounds awful! I would like to avoid going that far! He said there was a broken spring in the latch. Some have said the actuator could be the problem but I don't think that's it as I can hear it working and I think the latch is released mechanically. Interestingly, as well is there was no problem until I installed the new exterior lock assembly. But I have checked it every way I know and it seems to be installed properly. Any ideas?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Hello again! Well, as to the door that won't open, I have removed the door panel and found that both the inside and out rods are connected properly. I can feel them feel them at least trying to open the latch but to no effect. I read of someone with a similar issue who used a reciprocating saw between the door and the body to cut the latch pin...sounds awful! I would like to avoid going that far! He said there was a broken spring in the latch. Some have said the actuator could be the problem but I don't think that's it as I can hear it working and I think the latch is released mechanically. Interestingly, as well is there was no problem until I installed the new exterior lock assembly. But I have checked it every way I know and it seems to be installed properly. Any ideas?
Not sure if this link helps or Not?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CM92-EUR-06-2000-Z3-BMW-Z3_M&diagId=41_1066