Detango'd Headlights + Halo's added - Wiki entry added

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Copied from my archives for anyone wanting to detango or add halos:-

Finally got my headlights de-tango'ed, big thank you to Myredzed for helping and showing us the way. Not so scary to put headlights in the oven, once you have seen it done.

We removed the first headlight, removed all bulbs and everything else which moved, then put in oven for 10 mins to soften the mastick. Then separated the unit. Very easy to take out the amber lens and replace with a clear one, literally 2 screws.

Result: Detango'ed - yahoooooooooooo

Then, when we got home, with hubby's brains and my apprehension, we had a go at fitting Halo's - wow was that a pain in the a**se - well, the first one was , the second was dead easy so, while Gary worked away, i was busy with the camera.

So off with lights again, back in the oven, and separated again. I had bought CCfl 8000 specifically for a 1998, but hey, they weren’t a perfect straightforward fit, so instead of fitting to the front of the lens, the back of the lens in the headlight casing was dremelled out so that the halo had a small cup to 'sit in' and that enabled the halo to follow the circumference of the headlight - and looked much neater than sat on the outside of the lens - phew !!!!! When the lights are switched off, it enhances the look of the shape of each light.

When the positioning was sorted, and the whole unit thoroughly cleaned inside and out, the halos were glued in with neoprene glue (flexible) sureseal in the 'cup' and tabbed at the sides and top, part of the headlight unit was put back in the oven and all sealed back together, and refitted to old zeddy today - yahooooo.

I need to get some new bulbs for the headlights and bumper lights, they look dreadful now, which i knew they would after reading some posts on here, so i will get them on Tuesday.

Noticed today that there is a hole in one of his fog light lenses, he looks as if he has been shot so will have to find a replacement for that too.

I am thrilled to bits with his new look.

Then his next mod, well, should be done in a couple of weeks
Gill

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Re: Detango'd Headlights + Halo's added

There should have been lots of pics included, will ask Gaz or James to find them :D

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

Fixed Gill ;)

You can now click 'edit' on your post and see the added image tags! Let me know if you need anything else...

Gary

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto

Thanks Gaz, they were'nt there on the preview :-s thanks for sorting.

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z

Hi seasurfer great write up ,did mine last year and they really look good (paid £12 off someone on e-bay who couldn't fit them bargin) but for some reason i did not detango the head lights and i wish now i had !!! Could you tell me where you got the clear lenses from

Si-forks on tapatalk

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M

how do you wire the halo's up?
looks great ;)

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z

On my Z (97 1.9) they are wired straight into the side lights through an inverter which was in the kit supplied could not be easier

Si-forks on tapatalk

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto

swamper said:
how do you wire the halo's up?
looks great ;)

Edited:

Hi Swamper,

The pack is complete to fit the halo's,. The kit included easy to follow instructions, in fact the wiring was the easy part of the conversion.

Look for CCFL Halo/Angel eyes for the zed on ebay.

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto

Siforks, i bought them off a contact from another zedder, i have since tried to get another set for a friend but they dont have any left and not getting any more.

However, i found a link to a german site, will look it up for you and post a link.

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z

Thanks for the link

Si-forks on tapatalk

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M

thanks Gill ;)
iv always liked the look of them

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior

How does your microwave smell now?

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto

Dont be silly, i didnt use my oven, i used someone elses's :D (thank you myredzed, who showed us how to do it) it really is very easy to do, just a bit daunting to close the oven door but they were fine, nothing melted only the seal :D and i love the look of them. Compared to the original light on the road, it is much sharper now, I have a photo somewhere of one done and one not, will try and find it and post it.

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster

SeaSurfer

Many thanks for this I am a little concerned about the details of fitting the Halo kit it song like a bit of "fettling" is required and I am more of a spanner money that any good with a file or dremel. But am thinking maybe I shall do both de-tango and Angles at the same time. Your's does look great and Black for the track would suit it as well I think. I might actually have to do both cars. LOL

If I do it will cost the same as doing one if I was to buy the Halo lights on ebay that are available for about £215 as what they say is a straight swap de-tango'd and with Halo's fitted.

Does anyone have experience of these swap-outs just in case I decide to go that way on just one car instead.

I emailed a Breakers today to ask if he would sell me the clear indicator lens from a couple of crashed and broken headlights but no answers yet. that might be an even cheeper option.

Regards and thanks

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster

SeaSurfer said:
si-forks I hope you got in I left it a day or two after it was posted then I went in and bought 2 so they are now 0 available and 4 sold if I have frustrated you let me know as the ones to Black for the track are not urgent. :ymhug: after all i don't want to be b-(

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z

No its fine just think its a lot to paid for clear lenses
When the rest of my car looks tatty but thanks for your consideration
Si-forks on tapatalk