Dealing with those pesky trim screw caps....

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
If you need to remove any of the lower dashboard trim panels, you will encounter the fiendish trim screw cap.
These are virtually impossible to remove without damage to them, the panel, and or yourself :ymsigh:

By using a very small electrical Phillip's screw driver, it is possible to "stab" the plastic cover and undo the underlying screw behind it without doing too much damage.
It's not perfect but until new covers are purchased, it's a reasonable solution and as the plastic recovers from the deformation, the cosmetic disfiguration become less obvious.
If you have got replacement caps, they are much easier to get off the screw once it has been removed.

The OEM part numbers are:

51161949793 black
51168398920 beige

This is what one of mine looked like shortly after it was re-inserted with its old cap having stabbed it with the screwdriver.

ai102.photobucket.com_albums_m105_Telbar_Z3_Indicator_20Stalk_eaf3624a.jpg

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
This is one for the knowledge base, so I will copy it over!

Wish I knew about this before removing my centre console as they are such a pain to remove. I used a flat blade under the edge, but it can damage the panel it's holding in place. Think I lost a couple as well!

May have to order some new ones now.

lightning

Zorg Legend
The price of these little caps has gone up to £1 EACH from BMW.
In fact there is one joker on ebay offering them at £4.49!
Last time l purchased some (admittedly in 2008) they were 12 pence.

vintage42

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
Postage on a dozen in a little bubble mailing envelope should not add much cost.

Sailorbaz

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
I can't believe BMW are wanting a POUND a pop for each of these!!! £1 for a bag of 50 maybe!!!

I need some of these too, not paying nearly a tenner to replace all the damaged ones on my car after installing a full new interior though.

lightning

Zorg Legend
They come in a pack of ten, so that's the minimum amount you can buy!

You can flick them off without damage using a small bit of metal, with the end bent over at 90 degrees.

It has to be small though! I made mine from the clip off a pen, which works well as it was already curved in profile.
And when l say the end is bent over, it's only the end 1mm or less.

vintage42

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
Same here. The needle nose damaged about 1/3. Still usable, but not perfect. I like perfect so I ordered a bunch more.