Cup holders, I DREAM of cup holders, but still . . .

Mike Fishwick

Zorg Guru (II)
French Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I may be old-fashioned, but I think anyone who uses a cupholder - or who thinks they are important - should get a life! They may be useful when driving across the Nevada desert, but it would still be better to stop, have a drink, walk around the car, and probaby have a pee. Still, we cannot expect any sense form the Americans, or those who wish to emulate them . . .

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
In my opinion cup holders are an unnecessary item and can cause drivers to be distracted and as such I don’t want them, however I see no reason in a free world where opinions have to be made “personal”.

Tony.

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Not just a BMW problem, Clio Mk2 have both the airbag module and the obd connector underneath the cup holder. Though being French it doesn’t take cups, only cans, which fall over on roundabouts if full and you only carry one. To be fair, the heater is so badly designed it quickly dries that area out.
Car companies can’t really be blamed for careless owners. My Opinion.

I love cupholders, I spend so long in the car they’re an absolute necessity.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Absolutely disagree Tony, would be a bigger distraction not to know where to put my coffee in case I need to operate the entertainment system whilst holding my phone in the other hand 🤔
Simple solution here isn't there, don't drink and drive. Just as much a distraction as a mobile phone in my view, but I leave that to the Police. What ever did we do before Starbucks and Costa etc.?, we stopped at a cafe.

Tony.

ps. The Ford Explorer we're currently using has the same problem. 2 holders inline means a full cup will tip back on acceleration (in the front holder) and forward under braking (in the rear one). This means you have to buy to coffees or one and a bottle of water to fill the other holder.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
When you do in excess of 30k business miles a year a cup holder is your best friend. Just an opinion!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
How did you manage before cup holders came along Niall?

Tony.

Toby

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Simple solution here isn't there, don't drink and drive. Just as much a distraction as a mobile phone in my view, but I leave that to the Police. What ever did we do before Starbucks and Costa etc.?, we stopped at a cafe.

Tony.

ps. The Ford Explorer we're currently using has the same problem. 2 holders inline means a full cup will tip back on acceleration (in the front holder) and forward under braking (in the rear one). This means you have to buy to coffees or one and a bottle of water to fill the other holder.
Thats what the door ones are for Tony - water bottles in the middle two, coffees go in the door, just sayin' ;) :cool:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Bigger distraction to someone used to driving a rhd car when using a lhd one. The ones in the doors in this Ford are very low too.

Tony.

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
I remember making my own in the 80’s.
Up here, most places are closed by 8pm. There are no services North of Stirling, or Kinross.There are a few petrol stations with shops, but you can’t just walk in and use their loo.

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 E89 20i sdrive roadster
Well, that escalated quickly, that wasn't expected . . .

I just found it interesting. Designing a cupholder so susceptible to problems that were entirely forseeable.

I would still like a (sensible) cup holder though . . .

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You have one on each arm Alex.;)=))

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
How did you manage before cup holders came along Niall?

Tony.
Just saw this Tony. Back in the day you had to stop at the services and queue with all the sales reps at the phone booths to check in with sites and the office (remember those days?) so you had time to drink several cups of coffee.
Mobile phones and cup holders killed that off. :thumbsup: