Cruise retrofit issue, maintaining speed.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Hopefully someone with a factory fit cruise, or a retro fit, can let me know if this is normal or not.

I have added all the bits and its working but when on a level road it tends to gain about 4mph and then let's the throttle off suddenly. It does this over and over which is really annoying. I have not experienced this with any other cruise on a BM, it's always been smooth,

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
I have OEM, never used it, sorry mate, can't help............:beer

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Hopefully someone with a factory fit cruise, or a retro fit, can let me know if this is normal or not.

I have added all the bits and its working but when on a level road it tends to gain about 4mph and then let's the throttle off suddenly. It does this over and over which is really annoying. I have not experienced this with any other cruise on a BM, it's always been smooth,
I have noticed something similar on mine on occasion, the transition between power on and power off is not as subtle as other cruise control systems I have used. I put it down to the technology of the day.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
All cars I've had with cruise have been consistent speed, so would query whether the module is dodgy.

My 54 plate 120D Auto had cruise on it and it was pretty smooth, until you hit 'resume'. It would accelerate as quickly as it could to get back to the speed it was at before pausing, and would even kick down to do it. All my other cars with cruise (mainly Mondeo) would accelerate at a gentle pace to get back to the set speed.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I had the same system on the 318 compact which was smooth but obviously didn't have the power of the M so wondered if it was down to that.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
No don't suffer from this at all with my factory fiitted cruise it is quite smooth in fact and comparable to all the other cars I have owned or driven with cruise.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
mine should be finished this week when the part arrives ...so will let you know if mine does the same

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Mine sits at a level speed when set.. As you prob know I retro fitted mine.. Check your cable is not too loose or tight? If it still persists I would say there is a problem with one of the components..

It shouldn't speed up and decrease when on a level road

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Yeah the cable has been fun getting it adjusted. If it goes any tighter it raises the idle revs. So I don't know if its the module or something else. (Just wondering now if the cable is right as I had to wind it out a long way to adjust it).

The switch is a bit intermittent but don't think that would have any affect on the speed gain.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Maybe that is the problem from memory mine is not tight at all and quite slack but will check for you when I can.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew

Pic of my cable when I was installing..

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I'm coming to the conclusion it s the control unit. I bought a brand new stalk as I thought that wasn't responding as it should but the new one from the dealer is exactly the same. I'm going to hook my computer up to the car and see if there is anything showing, also will disconnect the control unit and reconnect to see if that helps. When clicking the cancel it takes a couple of seconds for it to disengage so I think the creeping up of the speed is the same thing where it is taking a couple of seconds to lift off the throttle.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Could it be the Bowden cable? If this need lubricating it would respond slowly?

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
right had mine out yesterday....and it no work...........nothing ..diddly squat ..zero ..!

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I think the cheap clutch switches might be an issue too. I found once I had to pull the clutch pedal back with my foot to make sure it was pushing hard on the switch. Not had the issue since so might just have been settling in.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
what does the clutch switch do?

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
It acts as an interlock so when you dip the clutch cruise switches off as it does when you press the brake pedal too. Maybe check you clutch switch Wayne because if that is nt working then the cruise will just not turn on like you are experiencing, you did fit one didn't you. ?

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
yep Ian...could be that as im getting nothing at all

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
ok here we go we have 12 volts to the switch....switch works when off the car (tested with continuity and get current when pressed in) iv got 12 volts going to the stalk...but when i press the clutch in we still have 12 volts...so im assuming that the switch isnt seated right?
took the switch out and it was full stuck down (so in the on position ) so have released it and it now works as it should OFF the car...put it back on and still nowt...