Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Overview
After successfully fitting cruise control to my Z3, here is a guide that people with the M44 engine should be able to follow to add cruise control to their Z3's - this guide will be useful if you have a throttle cable - like this:
20171026_085314.jpg
If your zed uses fly by wire then installing cruise control is really easy - just follow the steps in this written guide by @Brian H here.

As my zed uses an actual throttle cable the installation is a little bit more involved and the entire process from start to finish should take a couple of hours. Obviously, as I had some issues the process took a lot longer.

Required Parts
Parts that you will need:
Cruise Control ECU
20171028_125359.jpg
Cruise Control Actuator
20171028_125438.jpg
Cruise Control Stalk
20171028_125422.jpg
Clutch Switch
(I purchased mine from eBay for £9 - made by a company called 'FACET' - never heard of them but we'll see how long the switch lasts!)

Here is the RealOEM link that you can use to find part numbers

Installation

Cruise Control Stalk
In order to install the stalk, I chose to remove the steering wheel, whilst this may not be completely necessary, I chose to do it for the extra working space that the absence of a steering wheel would give me. My steering wheel has also recently been re-trimmed so the very last thing I wanted to do was damage it!

Removing the steering wheel is easy - just make sure that you disconnect the battery and wait about 10 minutes before removing it (so you don't experiencing an airbag punching you in the face!)

There are two T27 torx bolts that hold the airbag in place - once these are removed you should be able to remove the airbag - be careful though there are a couple of wires attached to the airbag which you will need to disconnect.
20171028_150209.jpg
Once these have been disconnected you will need a 16mm socket to remove the bolt that holds the steering wheel in place. Before removing the wheel make a mark with some form of permanent marker on the wheel and the splines that the wheel slides onto as this will make refitting the steering wheel easier.

You can then slide the steering wheel off - just be sure to remove the wires for the slipring.

Once the wheel has been removed you will need to remove the bottom of the steering column cover. In my case this was held on by a Phillips screw though I'm not sure if it was a factory screw as I have seen torx screws used to hold the covers on in the past.

Once you've removed the two screws a firm and steady pull should separate the cover into two pieces.

Next, it's time to remove the plastic panel that sits above your knee or under the steering column, I believe, from memory, there are a total of six screws that will need removing and, if yours has them you will also need to remove the plastic caps that sit on the screws. Having learnt from past mistakes I find it easiest to gouge straight into the plastic caps with a phillips screw driver - as mentioned in this article here - this helps prevent any damage to the surrounding trim pieces. You will then have to replace the caps but that is far easier and cheaper (just over a pound each) than replacing entire trim panels.

You should also remove the trim that surrounds the pedals to aid the removal, there are two 'twist lock fasteners' - (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this). Once you've removed this as well as the six screws that hold the plastic panel under the steering column you should be able to pull the panel straight out.

Above: One of the two 'twist-lock fasteners' that you will need to remove

You now have really good access to install the cruise control stalk.

You will need to make a cut in the cowling cover - my dremel stopped working half way in the process so I had to resort to using a file so this isn't the tidiest of jobs. However, Andy kindly sent me a spare so that I could have another go.
20171028_162055.jpg

The area that you need to cut is premarked from the factory so it is simply a case of following the lines and you should have a nice cut which will allow your stalk to fit.

The stalk will then clip into place, like so:

Once the stalk is fitted find the matching connector under the steering column and plug the stalk into this connector:

Ignore the junction boxes above... That is to sort on another day. :whistle:

Installing Clutch Switch

A clutch switch is something that you will need if your car has a manual transmission.

The switch will allow the cruise control to disengage when you push the clutch down. If you have an automatic I believe you will need something called a bridging cable.

There is a two pin connector taped up under the steering column which is for the clutch switch.

20171112_123040.jpg
The switch simply pushes into places alongside the brake switch - however - do be careful of the orientation so as not to damage the switch as it does only slot in one way.

Installing the ECU

The ECU can be plugged in behind the glove box. In order to remove the glove box there are again a number of screws that you will need to remove. The removal process for this is very similar to the removal of the drivers side panel - except for the extra two screws in the glove box that will also need to be removed.

Once the glove box has been removed, you should see, lurking in the pile of wires a blue connector. The blue connector is the one that you will need to plug into your ECU.

The ECU can then be mounted like so:
20171028_163913.jpg

Excuse the messy cabling, that is also one of the jobs that need tackling at some point.

Installing the Actuator

By far the most fiddly part of the entire process is to install the actuator.

To begin with you will need a bracket of some sort to mount the actuator onto, I came across a genuine BMW bracket on RealOEM. The bracket had to be ordered from Germany and cost £5.00 from my local dealer. Once it had arrived, I chose to paint it body colour so that it fits in well in the engine bay.
20171112_135755.jpg
My only complaint is that I couldn't find any mounting points onto which the bracket could be seated and I've found that others have had the same issue. This meant that I had to use zip ties to secure the bracket which I am not at all happy with. I believe in a car where cruise control was selected as a factory option this bracket would have been welded onto the chassis. My plan for the future is to perhaps fabricate a bit of sheet metal for the cruise control motor that I can bolt on to existing mounting points in the engine bay.

You then need to install the bowden cable. This is relatively straight forward, the bowden cable has two ends to it, one of the ends will be secured alongside the throttle cable, the other end needs to be attached to the actuator - this is the bit that I got wrong as I forgot to connect the cable into the actuator - like so:
20171117_185800.jpg

20171117_185822.jpg
The end that needs to be secured alongside the throttle cable is relatively easy to fit it simply clips in to the metal bracket that is already present on the throttle body, you may find that you need to open the throttle up by hand to clip the extra cable in. The process is difficult to explain, but if you use the existing bowden cable as reference point you should be okay. Ensure that once this is fitted there isn't excess slack in the cable yet it shouldn't be so tight so as to increase the idle of the car.
20171026_085314.jpg

Troubleshooting
After following the above steps you should have a fully working cruise control system. If not, having done plenty of research some common issues seem to be:
- Not enough tension in the bowden cable
- Faulty ECU
- Faulty Clutch Switch
- Faulty Brake Light Switch
- Faulty Brake Lights

Hope that this guide helps someone. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :thumbsup:

Attachments

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I would imagine that the mounting bracket will likely be spot welded to the donor vehicle. If so Andy may be able to cut it off for you and then you could mount it with nuts and bolts?

Tony.

petecossie

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3 M Coupe
On the Z3 M Coupe the brackets were fitted even if the optional cruise control wasn't installed when it left the factory. Both of my M Coupes had the bracket fitted (spot welded to wing as already mentioned), neither had the cruise control installed. I have all the bits & pieces to install CC on my present car, just need the time to do it!!

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
@t-tony That's exactly what Andy has said but unfortunately the cars been scrapped so no chance of that happening.

I can see the following part listed as a bracket but that doesn't look like the original mounting point...

Screenshot_20171028-203840.png

Screenshot_20171028-203848.png

The part number is exclusively for the Z3 and costs about a tenner delivered from eBay.

Do need to ring BMW and ask how much they charge.

petecossie

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3 M Coupe
Pic shows how the cruise control assembly in the engine bay is setup. The CC motor is just behind the nearside suspension turret.

mediaV1OVOAZH.jpg

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Fitted the clutch switch today but still no joy as cruise control won't kick in at all. Not sure how fast I need to be going for it to work but I went to around 60MPH with no luck unfortunately.

The ECU is plugged in correctly under the glovebox
20171028_163908_001.jpg

The stalk was wired in and plugged in to one of the empty connectors under the steering wheel
20171028_151537.jpg

The clutch switch has been put next to the brake switch and I found a connector tied up under the steering column which fits in correctly. Unfortunately it plugs in either way so I'm not sure of the polarity, but have tried both ways.
20171112_123040.jpg

The control motor has been secured down to a bracket that I bought from BMW, unfortunately the bracket has fixing points but I can't match these up to anywhere in the engine bay, so I'm not sure how to secure the bracket down without welding it - which I'm not keen on as it looks unsightly.

Painted the bracket body colour which took about 4 hours cause I'm impatient and kept touching the clear coat or using a hair dryer which blew dust onto it....
20171112_135755.jpg

20171112_144122.jpg

And lastly, whilst I don't have a picture of this, the Bowden cable has been attached to the cruise control motor and it has clicked into place. There isn't any slack in the cable either.

So... Not sure why CC isn't working. I've fitted all the essentials, perhaps it won't work because it isn't coded to the car? But then again mine is only a 97... So can't imagine it being that fussy with stuff needing to be programmed...

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
@Althulas The unit was secured down very well with zip ties. Not a permanent solution by any means but would be sufficient for testing. After the zip ties were installed the motor could not be moved by hand.

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
So far I've read the following:

It could take up to 25 miles for the cruise control to work

The actuator itself which controls the Bowden cable can fail but not sure how to test this.

It is possible that a faulty brake light switch could stop the cruise control from working

Using LEDs in your brake lights can cause issues and prevent the cruise from working.

And that my method of tying down the motor with zip ties is more popular than I originally thought!
Screenshot_20171112-174940.png

I was also doubting the clutch switch that I bought but having tested with a multimeter the readings are correct.

When the clutch is released the voltage is 0.00 and when fully pressed down its almost 12v.

lightning

Zorg Legend
Wow this is fairly complicated, on my 2002 3.0 l just installed the column switch, connected the interface box to the connector under the dash and it worked straightaway.
Although the parts cost over £100 it was well worth it, l just wish l had it on my Defender 110

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
A faulty brake switch can also disable the cruise control. The brake switch has 2 sets of contacts, the cruise control does not use the same contacts as the brake lights. You can use a code reader to read the DME error codes, a faulty brake switch will show up as implausible.

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
@Murray Wall interesting... I thought that they'd share the same contacts. So if my brake lights are working that doesn't necessarily mean that the switch isn't faulty.

Would something like this show up on a cheapo eBay/Amazon code reader though?

I tend to scan the car with my cheapo reader monthly but haven't seen any codes for the brake light switch yet.

Is definitely worth a punt though before replacing the actuator, ECU etc.

I'll probably drive the car 20-25 miles first to see if the car does magically recognise the cruise control components as some people have said but I am a bit skeptical :pompus:

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Wow this is fairly complicated, on my 2002 3.0 l just installed the column switch, connected the interface box to the connector under the dash and it worked straightaway.
Although the parts cost over £100 it was well worth it, l just wish l had it on my Defender 110
Yes mine was just as easy, as ours are 'fly by wire':thumbsup:

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
OK, been through the circuit diagrams now, I put you slightly wrong.

One set of contacts is used for both the lights and cruise control. The second set of contacts are used by the DME to check that the brake switch is operating correctly (safety check). If the safety check is not set, the DME disables the cruise control.

I had this on my 2.0 L Z3, sometimes the cruise control would work, other times it would not. The error code in the DME was about a brake switch that was implausible. Changed the brake switch and all was good.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
I am following this thread with interest @Faheem as you probably know this is a mod i am very interested in doing so hoping the solution turns out to be a simple one .
If you look at your picture above of your clutch switch you will see @Murray Wall is correct there is 2 lives and 2 earths into the brake switch.

Dalek

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Auto
I am thinking of fitting cruise control to mine. It is a late 2001 2.2i Auto. Am I right in thinking this is fairly easy. Is it ‘fly by wire’?