Convert to Right Hand drive without sticky patches

jaberwocky

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4 2.3i S Drive
Hi, can anyone help and tell me if what I have been told is true? I've been told it's possible to convert left hand drive headlights to right hand drive by flicking a small lever on the top of the dipped beam light solenoid and then to convert back to right hand drive just to flick it back. Sounds really simple to me but if it's true why do BMW tell me to put sticky pads on the headlights? All thoughts/comments welcome. Rik

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Re: Converet to Right Hand drive without sticky patches

Has your Zed got HID projector headlights as most cars that do have these type can be converted as you say simply by flicking a lever. Not sure what is fitted to the new Z4 or whether HID's were an option or fitted as standard but I would suspect if you have standard headlights with halogen filament bulbs then you will need stickers on the lens to cut the beam.

I am sure someone more knowledgable of your particular model of Z4 will be along shortly when they get back from Silverstone to clarify.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Re: Converet to Right Hand drive without sticky patches

Jaberwocky,

I just spent 15 minutes Googling this, and to be honest there doesn't seem to be a clear definitive answer.

There either IS or IS NOT a lever on the back of the headlamp units to control the beam. One owner booked his car in to the BMW workshop only for them to confirm there IS NOT a mechanism on the light.

What seems to be the concensus of other E89 owners is that the beams are so flat, that they are unlikely to dazzle anyone at all - EVER!

The worst bit was reading the tale of one owner who phone 9 different dealers and not one of them could answer the question definitively.

Hopefully someone has the answer :-\

jaberwocky

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4 2.3i S Drive
The headlights are HID's and there is certainly a lever on the solenoid that can be "clicked". Does it do the left to right conversion? We shall see. Rik.

jaberwocky

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4 2.3i S Drive
Well, back from France and did I blind anyone? No. Did I notice any difference after clicking the lever? Ummmm.. not really. I reclicked the lever and "reset" to the UK setting and ...........didn't notice any difference! What is this lever for then....can I expect some un-toward event in the future? Comon BMW what are the facts on this matter? Rik.