Clutch renewal change flywheel type or not?

id101

Dedicated Member
I'm thinking about a clutch renewal, not sure if i need it yet as i dont seem to get slippage, but if i dump the cluthc for a quick start i dont go anywhere, i think it might be not dumping the clutch properly and an over zealous traction control as its not so bad when turned off.

Anyway if its the beginning of the end for the clutch when replacing it all I see kits that convert from dual mass flywheel to single mass flywheel could anyone educate me on the differences please and/or any clutch/flywheel recommendations?

Cheers :)

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Sounds like you're trying to get the back wheels spinning on take off. If I try that on mine it just cuts the engine. Traction control. Nothing to do with clutch.

id101

Dedicated Member
Sounds like you're trying to get the back wheels spinning on take off. If I try that on mine it just cuts the engine. Traction control. Nothing to do with clutch.
yeah i thought it was too and with dsc off it does seem better but not always

id101

Dedicated Member
anyway onto flywheels why would anyone want to change from dual mass to single mass?

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Anyone else remember a time when all flywheels were single mass, and yet we managed to drive quite happily? Pah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Probably because cars like for instance the RS2000 a quick car in its time had a mere 90bhp

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
I'm pretty sure I remember plenty of cars from my younger days had way more than 90hp, and no trouble getting by on a solid flywheel. Not just cars, either, lorries, even these things.
Centurion.jpeg

27 litre Meteor engines not known for their lack of torque. I could get all pedantic and go on about how it's torque that matters, not hp, but that's a whole different story.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Don't forget chaps there's also a clutch delay valve that restricts the fluid flow when you try to dump the clutch. Remove this first and along with the ASC/DSC off you should get a sharper launch.

id101

Dedicated Member
Acceleration, but only because single mass tend to be "lighter" than dual mass.

There are downsides. More noise, more vibration, less protection for the gearbox and diff.
More noise, like gear whining noises? That would be a win for me as I love those mechanical type noises. Like old minis with straight cut gearboxes!

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
More noise, like gear whining noises? That would be a win for me as I love those mechanical type noises. Like old minis with straight cut gearboxes!
I ran a single mass on my 2.8 Z3. Didn't really get any noises but I did get a little more vibration sat at idle. I had a heavy sprung clutch disc to suit and it was brilliant fun on track.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Where I used to work they started running Ford Transits on 51 plates. Only after a couple of years the cutches started to fail. Manufacturers very soon produced single mass flywheel and clutch kits to replace them with. These were more robust and proved to last longer.

Tony.

ps. Personally I would replace "like for like".

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
The more noise is the gearbox chattering. There is always play between the teeth (backlash). The springs in the clutch hold the mating faces together and prevent the backlash from lashing back. As the springs in a SMF are much lighter, the backlash can lash back / chatter.

Straight-cut whine is caused by the contact surface being so small and moving quickly across the contact surface. Helical gears have a much larger surface area, and the cog is meshed for longer. The downside to helical gears, as well as being less efficient, is the bearings have to absorb axial and radial forces, straight-cut only radial.

Straight-cut sounds awesome, though :)