Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre console surface refurbishment

Discussion in 'The Beauty Parlour' started by jonco, Oct 7, 2012.

1. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Have tried to follow various threads on this subject but solution still not clear to me.
    Problem is this:

Rest of console is in good condition and I want to retain original classic style/colour. Any recommendations on preparation method and treatment products? :-\ :-\

Attached Files:

2. Daz3

Daz3 Zorg Legend

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    Re: Centre consul surface refurbishment

What are you planning on doing exactly as to me it looks as if it needs sanding down and spraying.
    If you are doing this I'd recommend using a barcoat as the solvents tend to react on these plastics trust me I've done it ;) as for paint your local car refinishing shop should sort you out with a colour to match, just take the console and explain what you need. HTH

3. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Thanks Daz3 - I had read your previous post under `Dashboard painting' and wondered what you had used to strip back original and then respray. Clearly your warning is to avoid solvents.

I've also looked at the thread on `An alternative to respray or wrapping?' and the references to plastidip products but could not find any examples of using them.

Cheers

4. Daz3

Daz3 Zorg Legend

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    No it's fine to use solvents I did. I used barcoat first which is a barrier coat to prevent any solvent attack which causes the paint to crinckle up if you like. After a coat of that you can then use whatever you like without problems.
    Other than that the plastidip stuff looks quite usefull but having not used it I can't comment on how good it is.