Central Locking issue

Zteve

Dedicated Member
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E89
Hi folks... :-h

Looking for some advice regarding the central locking, my passenger door will not unlock via key fob, it has to be manually unlocked from inside but it will lock ok...

I have seen the excellent write ups on how to get in about the lock and removal but what I was looking for is testing or fault finding, I don't want to be buying the motor actuator if its ok or the door lock part if not required...

How can I pin point which part will be faulty or is there a common part which fails?

My zed is a pre-facelift 97, 2.8...

Cheers.
Steve

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I need to get of my butt and do this too!

First diagnostic is to look at the wiring loom as it passes through the to the boot lid. It's a weak point in the system, and a common point of failure. Strip back the insulation carefully and inspect.

It may just stop you stripping the door down!

Zteve

Dedicated Member
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E89
Funny when you find something in good condition it's not the best news... :-\

Just checked wiring loom, thanks for pointers, and all is ok...

Will have to be the door next, if anyone knows how to pin point the fault in this area before I start buying parts that would be good...

Cheers
Steve

heath

Model of Z
Z3 2.0 individual
I dont know if this will be of much help but I had a similar issue on a 3 series although my central locking didnt work at all on one door. The problem was the wires were broken inside the rubber sleeve which they travel through from the body to the door, it might be worth checking there before removing the door panel.

Zteve

Dedicated Member
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E89
Cheers Heath, will have a go at that in the morning...

Steve

Zteve

Dedicated Member
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E89
Oh well, looks like the lock mechanism... :(

Checked all wiring, even found the colour coding for the open/close actuator all the way to the lock, having taken the door card off I can feel the door lock trying to open but it will not release...just have to find a replacement I guess...

Steve

Zteve

Dedicated Member
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E89
:D :D :D

Just spent the last couple of hours taking the door lock off to find the actuator not seated properly, pushed it firmly together and now working... :D :D

Now on to the next little job...

heath

Model of Z
Z3 2.0 individual
Good news

Nice when it just takes a bit of time & patience to sort it & even better when it dont cost anything :)