Car Covers which one?

Jonttt

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
///M S54
You won't get an outdoor cover which will not cause any damage to the paintwork ie even if the car is perfectly clean wind will cause the fabric to scuff the paintwork and if the inner fleece is too thick it will just retain moisture when the air is damp.

I used to keep mine in a sheltered covered car port with gates at one end but open at the other and even then I had to detail out scuffs on a perfectly clean car ;-)

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
cant you keep it in your spray port/tent?? ;)

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Thanks for the replies I can't keep it in my spray tent as I don't think the neighbours will be too happy with that lol! What sort of scratching do these sheets cause? Would I just be better off leaving the car outside when it's done and risk things like bird droppings and tree sap etc? Or just have the cover on while I'm not there? Just don't want to go through all the trouble of painting the car to then get it scratched or marked. :( seems to be swings and roundabouts.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
just clean it best you can before you cover it to minimize it best you can

r37

Dedicated Member
my z3 stands on the road s i got one of thoes half covers that just kept the canvas bit clean during the winter. Was only £40 and its pretty good quality. I dont use one this time of year though.

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
I used a stormforce cover for a while seemed to do a good job of keeping the damp out and was breathable. :)

Jonttt

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
///M S54
The marks caused depend how dirty your car was before the cover when on. Grit will obviously cause deeper scratching but even on a clean car it will cause abrasion marks. They will polish out like swirl marks and I guess most people just do not look closely enough to see it on theirs if they fit the cover regualarly outdoors or for prolonged periods. The top of the rear arches seem most prone as I guess there is more pressure in that area with a correctly snug fitting cover in place and the constant movement in wind causes these taught areas to constantly rub the paint.

I have the OEM outdoor cover which is about as snug a fit as you can get.

nb the OEM is elasticated at the bottom and is a perfect fit but even that can come off in high winds. Ideally you need straps underneath which some of the non OEM ones have but they are not as sbug a fit.

If you parked under a tree which results in sap or an area prone to bird muck I would probably fit one but otherwise I would not bother unless it will always be on a clean car and your happy with light abrasions to your new paintwork. I still used to fit mine but only on a freshly cleaned car and only because mine already had swirl marks. As mine was not actually open to the rain as it was covered by the car port (ie well ventilated and not directly wet) I ended up fitting a custom made indoor cover under the outdoor cover (which is fleesy) to minimise the abrasions but even then I could still tell it still happened but to a lesser extent.