BT Fibre Optic Broadband.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Our cable was fitted by BT 32 years ago, we've been a customer ever since, but I was told last Tuesday by someone in the know that around that time they used an aluminium, copper dipped cable for cheapness sake and that doesn't help!

Tony.
Yes - it was very common around 30+ years ago and just the reason we ended up moving from aDSL to VM a few years ago. At least with it being only a few hundred metres from the cabinet rather than several miles it should perform better.
When they measured the effective line length of our phone line it came in at over 6m on a run of just 2.2m. We could only get twice the speed of dial up - which was a laugh because I had an ISDN line in for work. On top of that, every time it rained the pits filled with water and everything stopped working until it dried out. Of course the phone installers weren't allowed to talk to the guys responsible for the street cabling.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Things have improved up to now Ian, I spoke with a technician yesterday who carried some tests on our service to see why it kept dropping and he said there were "some faults" on our line which could be fixed and to give them 24 - 48 hrs. I've been on here tonight with no interruption so hopefully we've turned a corner now. Having my mate wipe my desktop, which I fully intended getting done while we were in Florida last, but it didn't happen, and get rid of some bugs then with luck I will be ok for a while.

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Things have improved up to now Ian, I spoke with a technician yesterday who carried some tests on our service to see why it kept dropping and he said there were "some faults" on our line which could be fixed and to give them 24 - 48 hrs. I've been on here tonight with no interruption so hopefully we've turned a corner now. Having my mate wipe my desktop, which I fully intended getting done while we were in Florida last, but it didn't happen, and get rid of some bugs then with luck I will be ok for a while.

Tony.
Fingers crossed its all fixed then :thumbsup:

Tearoom

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Yeah, broadband doesn't travel well over Aluminium by all accounts. We haven't got fibre in our area yet, so we have to rely on the old copper cable network, which to be fair was never designed for this type of thing, so it does amaze me that anything works at all.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Yeah, broadband doesn't travel well over Aluminium by all accounts. We haven't got fibre in our area yet, so we have to rely on the old copper cable network, which to be fair was never designed for this type of thing, so it does amaze me that anything works at all.
The reason they use copper coated aluminium is the the signal travels on the surface of the wire and hence just in the copper layer. As a consequence that is a lot cheaper than solid copper. That thin layer of copper is good enough for the telephone signal but frequently not the ADSL. When there are connections you have dissimilar metals and we know what happens then. So, an even worse connection.
So, you are right - this kind of cable was never intended for this kind of use. The chances of getting BT to swap you to a decent cable pair is slim. Fibre to the cabinet should improve speeds even if you are still on aluminium cables.

bessieblue

Zorg Guru (II)
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
I'v been thinking of going to fibre, when you enquire they do promise a minimum speed for your address, if this is not reached you can cancel the contract

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Kind of on topic, but not directly related...

Microsoft released an update in the last week which has broken Windows ability to connect to the internet. It breaks the mechanism where your computer picks up an IP address from the router (DHCP), mostly on Windows 8 & 10 .

It's a big issue, and will only get bigger as more machines pick up the update. There will be a fix no doubt in the near future, but it's worth keeping in mind when you are diagnosing an issue with your connection not working at all at the moment.

I know at least one member on here has suffered it already, and rather frustratingly I spent 90 minutes last night trying to get my Win 10 machine to work after the update...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/12/ongoing_windows_8_10_dhcp_problems_affecting_all_isps/

Carry on...

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z

Microsoft released an update in the last week which has broken Windows ability to connect to the internet. It breaks the mechanism where your computer picks up an IP address from the router (DHCP), mostly on Windows 8 & 10 .

It's a big issue, and will only get bigger as more machines pick up the update. There will be a fix no doubt in the near future, but it's worth keeping in mind when you are diagnosing an issue with your connection not working at all at the moment.

I know at least one member on here has suffered it already, and rather frustratingly I spent 90 minutes last night trying to get my Win 10 machine to work after the update...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/12/ongoing_windows_8_10_dhcp_problems_affecting_all_isps/

Carry on...
Visited one on a fault yesterday easy to fix once you know how but for most what a ass that update is !!!

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport

It's a big issue, and will only get bigger as more machines pick up the update. There will be a fix no doubt in the near future ....
Carry on...
Can't imagine they can keep rolling that out with such a massive issue.

I keep a range for manual assignment so I'll drop the two windows m/c into that range.
Am amazed it hasn't been widely reported though.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Looks like they have rolled out a fix, KB3206632. Sadly you need to be able to connect to the internet to download it... :D
Ain't that typical! Shirl's laptop is on Windoes 10 and it connected ok so I'm guessing it my desktop tower where the problem lies. Thanks Gaz.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
More good news, we have WIFI in the garage now must be the new router because I took the range extender out of the system last Sunday. Could be live posting next time the boys are here to play.;)=))
image.jpeg

That pictures took less than a second to upload and that is brilliant compared to the old gear!:)

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
That's a thought though @GazHyde - live streamed Zedshed action. Real time updates and commentary (18 rated though no doubt)! :cool:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
That's a thought though @GazHyde - live streamed Zedshed action. Real time updates and commentary (18 rated though no doubt)! :cool:
I have joked about doing this before, but it's not really practical as it's difficult enough under a car without moving the camera about.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
I have joked about doing this before, but it's not really practical as it's difficult enough under a car without moving the camera about.
Messing about with a webcam while you're working isn't a feasible or safe option but a cam stuck up in one corner might be amusing :)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Messing about with a webcam while you're working isn't a feasible or safe option but a cam stuck up in one corner might be amusing :)
Only if I know where it is :thumbsup:=))

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto