Broken springs on my old Z3

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Drove up to my mates house to help him change the rear springs that were part of the failed MOT last month. Couldn't help but notice that both springs had broken in exactly the same place on the bottom. Not only that, but the fractures were almost identical too! Design fault? Coincidence? Paranoia?

New set of springs bought from Euro Car Parts, and the back end feels much less saggy than before (well it would have been rude of me not to take her for a test drive afterwards!)

Attachments

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
E36 3 series have the same issue as I've seen that on a few, not sure if the springs are a shared part?

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
I doubt if it's a design fault. Spring failure mode is usually triggered by fatigue under normal conditions
Without knowing which failed first and why it is difficult to be objective.
Failure of one inevitably leads to extra load on t'other side resulting in double failure.

(did you not notice the lop-sided stance ? ;). )

Z3nt from m'iPhone on Tapatalk

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Titan said:
did you not notice the lop-sided stance ? ;). )
I dont think its that noticeable
My brother drove around fo a year in his Z4
And he had to walk past it in the drive every day
That was just one, they advised change both

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
MAURICE THE MARTIAN said:
Never mind your old Z3 Gaz, Hows the springs on your Z4 after that loud bang on last weeks cruise.
:ymalien:
The car drives fine, but that of course doesn't mean anything! I will try and get her up in the air at some stage this week for a proper look. :-B

TitanTim

Dedicated Member
Its not really noticeable if the spring snaps as they tend too go at the tip and was a bit of a known issue on the Z4. I've known owners having them replaced under warranty only for them to snap again 12 months later. You might need too jack the Zed up and check where the spring seats at the top end.

Tim.

NeRo

Staff member
Global Moderator
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
I've still not got around to replacing my springs yet - I did get a couple of vastly different quotes from dealers. However, ECP are a bit cheaper

Question - are the springs on a (2.2i) Sport different from the standard (2.2)?

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
board said:
E36 3 series have the same issue as I've seen that on a few, not sure if the springs are a shared part?
Yes it's a common problem on them. Had one snap on my old E36 which shot out behind the car and luckily no one was following me as it would have caused some serious damage.

I'm sure its pretty common on Z4's too