Broken Aerial

Oddly Godly

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3 2.8
Hi someone broke my aerial earlier today, It snapped of with the female threaded part joined to the base of the aerial. I have super glued it to the inside of the Gromit but it will probably be a temporary bodge.
Given the price of the base unit and the likelihood of it happening again I am thinking of replacing it with a cheaper universal aerial. Maybe the shark fin type or small stubby type. Has anyone done this and was it simple. I was hoping there would just be the normal co-axel to join it to but it looks a bit more complex.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
I think a few of the guys here have fitted stubby's

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Its got a built in amplifier, the part inside the boot, it has a screw in coax cable and a live power feed wire connected to it. If the female screw in part has been broken off at the top of the aeriel inside the grommet then doubtful a repair can be made, there is a very thin wire inside the top of the unit that connects with the mast base when its screwed in. This wire often gets broken as well as the plastic top of the aeriel. I did manage to solder a new wire into mine when mine failed, the top unscrews once you get it out of the grommet and pull the unit into the boot. If you manage a repair best fit a new grommet whilst you are at it.
I have yet to fins a suitable alternative aeriel to replace the stock BMW one, the shape of the wing where the grommet fits is difficult for most standard replacements to seal and sit right when fitted.

Last edited:

Oddly Godly

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3 2.8
Yes I think I may have to get an original replacement but at the moment the super glue is holding it to the inside of the gromit and the reception is ok. Fingers crossed.

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
I have a good used one but they aren't cheap. See how the superglue holds up.

JethTran

Hi....A photograph would assist with explaining what you are discussing. However, in light of what you've shared, it seems like you lost one of a few of the ground plane radials. Losing one would cause the radio wire's RF example to change somewhat. Would it cause a particularly extraordinary decrease of got TV channels as you have noted? Perhaps and possibly not. In the event that it was an outspread, can you reinsert the piece that tumbled off into its mounting opening? It seems like it severed and tumbled to the ground. Am I directly on that?

pcb online

Last edited: