Brakes! Which Discs?

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Hi Everyone, am new to this, want to uprate the slightly pony brake system on my 3.0i e85, has anyone used Black Diamond discs and pads???? they are about 100 quid cheaper than brembo etc but have won awards over brembo's and seem to get very good reviews, anyone tried them?????

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Does your zed need new discs, or can you just change to better pads?

My 3.0 Z4 has OEM discs, but came with greenstuff pads and that seems to work well enough. Not had any problems stopping in it yet. Would be interested to know how my car performs will just OEM discs and pads though. Not sure how much of a difference the uprated pads actually make...

Oh, and welcome to the forum ;)

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
cheers mate. Yeah its just fully standard, the brakes do brake but, i get an bit of emergency poo when i'm getting a crack on! (the 3.0 certainly eats the corners up)

The full idea is drilled discs with better fast road pads (poss pagid) braded lines then i think it'll be more instant then it is now.

always liked the Z and to finally have one has been excelent and to top it off i got it for next to nothing!

FYI 64,000 miles, full beemer history, full spec (satnav, leather, heated seats, proffesional system, zenons etc etc etc), tyres great, needed rear wishbone bushes, paid.......... WAIT!............. £3500 YAY!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Holy cow that was a great price! Some piccies would be nice ;)

Just wondering what you are used to in comparison to the Z4, as I've never found mine iffy stopping before. I took mine on one of TaffZee's Welsh cruises, renowned for requiring good brakes and a set of steel balls!

What you are looking at upgrade wise sounds pretty comprehensive though.

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Well like I said. Brembo discs, if the black diamond ones are naff, pagid pads and hel lines.

Other then that, remus exhaust, intake (might make on as it's my trade) remap and if I put it away for winter I might even get in touch with Kent cams...... I used them on old school minis and it made the world of difference. I think 300 hp would be a good goal :D

What about you? What's ur plans or what have you done?

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Oh yeah, got a 320 e90 estate and it just seems to have a bit more of an instant grab

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I have a Z3 and a Z4 at the moment. The Z4 is completely stock, and is a lovely car that's for sure and fully loaded. Corners like its on rails, goes like stink, and has been the most comfortable car I've owned.

That said I'm not sure how much longer i'll keep it, because I prefer driving the Z3. Plus having two roadsters (and a MINI Cooper) is just plain daft and stupidly expensive!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Grimstead said:
What do you like about z3 over z4?
It's an emotion thing for me.

The Z4 for me is like driving a 3 series saloon. Does everything really well, and almost a little too well at times. Never driven a car with so much grip, but I always get the feeling that I won't be sure when I'm about to run out of it.

The Z3 is just that bit more fun to drive, because its doesn't do everything as well. It's smaller, doesn't handle as well, and wallows but is just that bit more predictable. It just makes me smile every time I drive it.

I don't regret buying the Z4 in any way, and for me it's one of the best looking cars BMW have designed.

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
i know what you mean, just the other night i went round a roundabout i like and gave it one, hoping to get the back out, normally its an effort but not this time, simple to say the traction control went back on for the rest of the way home ha ha ha

Gigsy

Grimstead said:
cheers mate. Yeah its just fully standard, the brakes do brake but, i get an bit of emergency poo when i'm getting a crack on! (the 3.0 certainly eats the corners up)

The full idea is drilled discs with better fast road pads (poss pagid) braded lines then i think it'll be more instant then it is now.

always liked the Z and to finally have one has been excelent and to top it off i got it for next to nothing!

FYI 64,000 miles, full beemer history, full spec (satnav, leather, heated seats, proffesional system, zenons etc etc etc), tyres great, needed rear wishbone bushes, paid.......... WAIT!............. £3500 YAY!
Don't get drilled discs for any reason other than aesthetics - performance-wise, they're pretty pointless on a road car and are also prone to cracking.

Your best gain will come from the pads - something like Ferodo DS2500s, EBC Yellow/BlueStuff or Mintex 1144/1155 should do you proud. Pagid pads are great but £££. Disadvantage of uprated pads is that they sometimes require a degree of heat in them before they start working. On that note, for a road car, I'd recommend YellowStuff pads.

As for discs, a decent set of plain discs or possibly grooved are the way to go.

Braided lines are a good idea and will help pedal feel.

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Gigsy said:
Grimstead said:

Don't get drilled discs for any reason other than aesthetics - performance-wise, they're pretty pointless on a road car and are also prone to cracking.

Your best gain will come from the pads - something like Ferodo DS2500s, EBC Yellow/BlueStuff or Mintex 1144/1155 should do you proud. Pagid pads are great but £££. Disadvantage of uprated pads is that they sometimes require a degree of heat in them before they start working. On that note, for a road car, I'd recommend YellowStuff pads.

As for discs, a decent set of plain discs or possibly grooved are the way to go.

Braided lines are a good idea and will help pedal feel.
Cheers, I heard groves are best in other posts. :-B

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Never driven one, maybe we should all have a day where we swap cruise, make our choices then have a good old bar fight over what's best :))