Bmw z3 running rich

2bmws

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3
Wondering if someone can give me some advice on this please recently bought a z3 twin cam m44. On a p reg so an early one, but on tick over sounds quite lumpy and when running if you smell the exhaust it has a strong smell of petrol, so wondering what it could be or what i could look at thanks in advance

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Possibly over-fuelling to compensate for an air leak. Inspect all rubber vacuum hoses in engine bay.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
What Rob said:thumbsup: You can check for air (inlet) leaks by spraying carburettor cleaner (brake cleaner does the same job) around the induction rubber boots and vacuum pipes while it's idling and listen for any change in idle speed.

Tony.

2bmws

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3
Ok thanks will do, Ive got a new air flow metre coming already do you reckon it possibly be that. But will defo spray round some carb cleaner

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Yep it could just be the MAF but I’m inclined to think not if it’s that rich. But most Z3s have air leaks unless they have been sorted already. Most just minor and can go unnoticed for a long time and some more serious.