Video BMW Z3 boot lid gas strut replacement

DivideBYZero

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z3 2.2
So I wasn't very happy with the support from the boot lid struts, and upon close inspection it was clear that something had to be done, as one of the struts was badly damaged through plastic fatigue and could be taken off the ball joint at will...

Anyway, I took some pics and video of the resulting replacement. Only took 15 mins to do and a great result.

Seller I used. Strut price is for the Pair: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111172978710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PpGQ2Y-xiI

Last edited:
Z

zedonist

Great video, the boot lids are extremely heavy, this was one of the first jobs i did on mine.
Was the £22 for both units or each? if it was for both it is worth posting the seller as that is a good price and for parts from a good solid manufacturer.

DivideBYZero

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z3 2.2
It was for the pair. Updated OP to include link to item. :)

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Just to update on this:
this thread directed me to the seller but he no longer has them on the eBay shop due to listing limits but he has them on his web shop:
http://euromotofan.com/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=833
He confirmed they are Magnetti Morelli so I ordered a pair and have a boot lid that springs open (maybe a bit too excitedly!)
£20.40 including 2nd class postage.

There is also this seller based in Latvia who I also messaged and confirmed that the ones they supply are also Magnetti Morelli.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131433221999

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Is that what your head tells you?
Sounds like the the boot lid hit a other lid, better check the bootlid's not bent Frankie!

I noticed that the original part was made in USA so you should be able to find one easily over there...

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
@FRANKIE you need some of these
I had to put something in the back of the Rodeo and saw your bag again. Mags, soda, taffies,etc. was thinking of you. Flosie's in the Philippines, comes back on Tues. Got both pickups filled with horse s*** yesterday. Can't back them up to the garden to unload until I cut then split the firewood. Remember the top on the Z3 1.9 where the gap was? Took it to a place that does the work. He said i didn't stretch it enough putting it on. I told him I stretched it all I could. He told me he has to take the frame off and work on a work table with it. Otherwise, he can't get it to come forward enough to meet the window. Will cost $350 for him to do it. I just couldn't sell it unless its right. So...................

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Sounds like the the boot lid hit a other lid, better check the bootlid's not bent Frankie!

I noticed that the original part was made in USA so you should be able to find one easily over there...
When i picked Hugh up at the airport, I was driving my Isuzu Rodeo. The back has an upper glass window that opens. If its cold enough, the window lifts don't hold the window up for long and the window falls, which it did on Hugh giving him a nasty bruise. Welcome to America!

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
When i picked Hugh up at the airport, I was driving my Isuzu Rodeo. The back has an upper glass window that opens. If its cold enough, the window lifts don't hold the window up for long and the window falls, which it did on Hugh giving him a nasty bruise. Welcome to America!
It went well with the other one that I got from the M as there was one missing on that.

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
and me mine are terrible.. did you ever do this @lowrider ?

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I put a pair of the Magnettis on last Sep. They were £20.50 back then. They are £23.37 from the same seller (tshopabs) now.

They were ferocious to start with but have settled down now. I expect the gas has to settle. Plus I'd rather they sprung up than fell down on someone's head or hands.

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
I put a pair of the Magnettis on last Sep. They were £20.50 back then. They are £23.37 from the same seller (tshopabs) now.

They were ferocious to start with but have settled down now. I expect the gas has to settle. Plus I'd rather they sprung up than fell down on someone's head or hands.

thanks bud i been looking i took them both off and cleaned them up, one is definitely easy to push in the other is really hard so suspect one is gone but i will replace the two

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
how long did they take to come from latvia.. no rush but would prefer from uk... ?